worcester
tjmakz
gyso
Sam
tardust
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick - Page 3 Empty Re: Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm

112288 wrote:TJ, Only $4M of Pierces contract is guaranteed unless there are contractual clauses stating that if traded it has to pay him max next year.

Yes, only $5m is guaranteed for Pierce for next season, but why would the Lakers want to trade Howard for Pierce for this season, then pay $5m for Pierce not to play for them next season?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick - Page 3 Empty Re: Celtics Elevating Interest In J.J. Redick

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 pm

112288 wrote:TJ,

If you look at it on the surface, no Atlanta would not make that trade. However we do not know Atlanta's rebuilding strategy nor what they need nor what lies in their heart.

I have seen crazier trades done in sports i.e. Dodgers with Red Sox last year or in the NBA with a max contract with Amar'e Stoudemire. Red was famous for following PT Barnum's philosophy that "There is a sucker born every day"! He picked the pockets of most GM's!

So I did not hear what your answer is on Danny signing Bass...good or bad?

There are often reasons why teams will overpay to sign or acquire players.
We have pretty much seen what Atlanta's strategy is.
Move out expensive long term contracts when they get an opportunity.

The Dodgers knew a windfall of money was coming their way from their new TV deal with Fox.
With a new deal on the horizon, they wanted to acquire some marquis names instead of the James Loney's and Juan Rivera's who were regular players for LA.

The Knicks did overpay Amare but they do generate a tremendous amount of revenue and they wanted to a premier player on the roster to help attract free agents to sign there.

In retrospect the re-signing of Bass is bad. But at the time, it was probably just a little more then market rate for how he was playing at the time.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm

With LA, it would not be bad to have Pierce as a vet playing 20 min. For Pierce living near his home, home in warm weather and picking up some pocket change of $5M is not all bad......while he adds to his HOF numbers.

I'll bet anything, Pierce will not play for $5M for the Celtics next year...he'll want Garnett type money....and frankly he is not worth that amount and so we should part now if we can get a young raw player to mold into a good bench player for Pierce in a trade. I like a young raw player verses a draft choice because you have some measure of NBA playing experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:21 pm

What young player making about 15 million are you suggesting the Celts trade Pierce for. Draft picks have 0 dollar value so that can't happen since we have to get about equal salary back.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 pm

112288 wrote:With LA, it would not be bad to have Pierce as a vet playing 20 min. For Pierce living near his home, home in warm weather and picking up some pocket change of $5M is not all bad......while he adds to his HOF numbers.

I'll bet anything, Pierce will not play for $5M for the Celtics next year...he'll want Garnett type money....and frankly he is not worth that amount and so we should part now if we can get a young raw player to mold into a good bench player for Pierce in a trade. I like a young raw player verses a draft choice because you have some measure of NBA playing experience.

I think you are mis-understanding how the partial guarantees work.
If Boston keeps Pierce next year, they have to pay him $15.33m.
If they let him go, they owe him $5m.
Boston can't request that he plays for $5m.
It's either $15.33m or he will not be on the team.
If Boston traded him to another team this season, the same scenario would apply.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Again, It makes sense to trade him NOW for Dwight. LA gets to keep him next year for perhaps 5 M. We get Dwight for this run at #18. Thereafter who knows.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 pm

worcester wrote:Again, It makes sense to trade him NOW for Dwight. LA gets to keep him next year for perhaps 5 M. We get Dwight for this run at #18. Thereafter who knows.

Of course it makes sense for Boston to trade Pierce for Dwight.
It doesn't make sense for the Lakers.
No, LA can't get Pierce for $5m.
It is either $15.33m or he is waived and walks away with $5m.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Well, the Lakers were smart enough to spurn Phil Jackson in favor of Mike D'Antoni.
Maybe Jimmy Buss will get another bright idea and trade Dwight for Paul. It could happen. We Celtics fans are a strong prayer group.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm

This is a Ric Bucher tweet, 1/25/13. IF TRUE, that means Sully's safe, since he definitely qualifies as "young talent on a rookie contract".

There remains a chance that JJ Redick is dealt before the February trade deadline and if not then, in a deal this summer. But a league source dismissed the possibility of a trade to Boston and the Pacers, while also interested, appear to be a longshot as well. "There's no deal to be had," the source said of Boston. The Magic are supposedly looking for draft picks and young talent on a rookie contract. No one on the Celtics' roster apparently fits the bill. about 12 hours ago

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Ric Bucher can rest easy. The Celtics will never trade any young core players - Sully or Bradley (not both) unless they get 2 vets back per 1 Celtic player and that is not happening.

You trade Sully and get what a SF or C, now you have a missing piece at PF.

Only way you can get 2x for 1x is trade Rondo for a good young PG and a vet PF or C and that is not going to happen.

Got to trade now with non-performing secondary role players and fill your team with top starting vets in the summer. This is not for this year...we are looking at next season which has to start now. Anyone talking this year #18 is dreaming......but next year with what I outlined is very feasible.

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Dream, dream, dream, I'm always dreaming, never say die say I, for when you give up, then truly, you don't stand a chance. Would that people actually come up with names, numbers, and any other pertinent info before they post but I've never done well with suggestions like that in the past. Oh well...I can't believe people still think Dwight is a real difference maker that can lead a team to a championship. The only way PP leave Boston is if he requests/agrees to it. For all you experts out there, what would be the possibility of the Clippers being part of a trade scenario? Oh, and all the talk about trades? All that is impossible with two team scenarios becomes much more workable with three teams involved.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next