POST GAME ATLANTA

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

POST GAME ATLANTA

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm

GAME STATS

Rebounds - Celtics 48 / ATL 49 ........ Offensive - Celtics 38 /ATL 37 ........Defensive - Celtics 10 / ATL 12
Points In The Paint - Celtics 34 /ATL 50
Fast Break Points - Celtics 24 / ATL 34
FG - Celtics - 42/93 (45.2 %) ATL 42/94 ( 44.7 %)
3PM - Celtics 7/19 ( 36.8 %) ATL 12/36 ( 33.3 %)
FTM - Celtics 20/20 ( 100 %) ATL 27/36 (75 %)
TO - Celtics 21 / ATL 12
Assists - Celtics 28 / ATL 31
STL - Celtics 8 / ATL 10
BLK - Celtics 1 / ATL 6
PF - Celtics 30 / ATL 21
Bench Points - Celtics 45 / ATL 21
Total Team Turnovers (Points off turnovers) – Boston 21 (24) /ATL 12 (13)

NEXT GAME SUNDAY - HOME - MIAMI - 1:00PM - CSNE/ABC

POST GAME RECAP

ESPNBOSTON.COM

Rapid Reaction: Hawks 123, C's 111 (2 OT)

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Rapid reaction after the Atlanta Hawks defeated the Boston Celtics 123-111 in double overtime on Friday night at Philips Arena:

THE NITTY GRITTY
The Celtics hit a new low while dropping their sixth straight, finding a way to endure a double-digit loss in a game it once led by 27. Kevin Garnett scored a team-high 24 points to go along with 10 rebounds before fouling out in the second overtime, while Jeff Green (17 points), Courtney Lee (16 points) and Jason Terry (12 points) keyed an inspired bench effort. With the benefit of two extra sessions, Rajon Rondo posted his second triple-double in as many nights, finishing with 16 points, 11 assists, and 10 rebounds over 40 minutes. Atlanta's Kyle Korver erupted for a game-high 27 points behind eight 3-pointers and single-handedly kept the Hawks in the game in the fourth quarter. Al Horford added 24 points and 13 rebounds, while Josh Smith finished with 17 points and 14 rebounds.

A GAME OF RUNS
There's something about Philips Arena that brings out major swings in momentum when these two teams meet. In a meeting earlier this month in Atlanta, the Celtics rallied back from a 19-point deficit to edge the Hawks in the first meeting of the season. On Friday, the Celtics' utilized a 25-5 first-quarter run to open as much as a 27-point first-half lead. The Hawks responded by embarking on a 19-0 run in a dominant third quarter to tie the game. Boston was 0-for-8 shooting with five turnovers while Atlanta took over and Smith's running layup evened the game at 59 with 6:16 to play in the frame. It was just an appetizer in Atlanta's comeback effort.

TURNING POINT: KORV3R TAKES OVER
Korver went from sizzle to sear as he unleashed a fourth-quarter 3-point barrage. Early on, he put the Hawks up 3, but Boston came back to build a 10-point cushion with 4:44 to go. That was nothing with Korver on fire. Three more triples (along with a 3-pointer from Jeff Teague) helped the Hawks improbably tie the game again at 98 with a minute to go. Both teams had chances to win it over the final 60 ticks, but Boston went the final 3:39 of regulation without a field goal and the game spilled into overtime when Smith missed an attempt next to the basket in the final second.

DOUBLE ORDER OF FREE BASKETBALL
The seesaw ride continued into overtime, but Boston had the best chance to win the game on the final possession of the first session. Instead, Pierce's isolation drive on Smith yielded a tipped shot that had absolutely no chance. In the second overtime, Smith produced an old-fashioned three-point play and the Hawks found themselves up by double digits before Pierce produced Boston's first bucket of the second session.

WHAT IT MEANS
The Celtics hit rock bottom in Atlanta. Even amidst this season-long six-game losing streak, there was some positive energy after a gritty effort against the Knicks on Thursday night. But in fumbling away a 27-point cushion, the Celtics are left reeling. Boston gets a day to rest its weary legs before hosting the East-leading Miami Heat in Ray Allen's return to TD Garden on Sunday afternoon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CSNE

Celtics self-destruct

A. SHERROD BLAKLEY

ATLANTA — Getting out of the rut that has become the 2012-2013 season for the Boston Celtics isn't going to be easy.

And maybe the worst setback of them all happened Friday night as Boston blew a ridiculously large lead in losing 123-111 in double overtime to Atlanta.

Boston led by as many as 27 points - 27 points! - only to turn in one of the worst second half showings of the season that allowed Atlanta to get back into the game and eventually pull out the victory.
Josh Smith converted a 3-point play early in the second overtime. Soon after that, Kevin Garnett, who had 24 points, picked up his sixth personal foul trying to grab his own miss.

With Garnett on the bench, Al Horford wasted no time going straight to the rim for a lay-up that put the Hawks ahead 112-107 with 3:21 to play in the second overtime.

There was still plenty of time left, but the C's were an exhausted bunch at this point when you consider they played less than 24 hours earlier while the Hawks were at home, resting up for tonight's game.

Still, that's no excuse for losing this game, not after dominating play with such an authoritative manner only to give it away.

Boston (20-23) has now lost six straight for the first time this season.

The C's haven't gone this long without a win since the 2006-2007 season when they had three separate losing streaks of six games of more, one of which was a franchise-worst 18 straight.

All of Boston's losses have hurt, but it's hard to imagine one stinging more than this one.

Even with such a huge lead, the C's pushed their lead back to double figures (94-84) in the fourth only to see it wiped out when Horford made a pair of free throws to cap off a 14-4 run to tie the game at 98 with one minute to play.

Boston had a chance to regain the lead, only for Garnett to miss what would have been the go-ahead, game-winning lay-up. The C's got yet another chance when Devin Harris lost the ball out of bounds with 29.2 seconds to play after video review by the official overturned the initial call which gave the ball to the Hawks.

Rondo missed a floater in the lane, but was able to get his hands back on the ball and force a jump ball with Kyle Korver who is about five inches taller.

Atlanta got the jump ball with 3.7 seconds to play, and immediately called a time-out.

Josh Smith missed a potential winning lay-up as time expired which led to the first overtime. Boston's Paul Pierce had a chance to win it at the end of the first overtime, but his shot was well short of the rim.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WEEI 93.7 FM

CELTICS BLOW 27-POINT LEAD AGAINST HAWKS ON WAY TO SIXTH-STRAIGHT LOSS 01.25.13 at 10:50 pm ET

The Celtics blew a 27-point first-half lead, eventually dropping a double-overtime, 123-111 loss to the Hawks in Atlanta. It was the Celts’ sixth-straight defeat.

According to Celtics’ play-by-play announcer Sean Grande the C’s had won 153 straight games when leading by more than 19 points, having last blown a lead as much as 27 points on Dec. 5, 2003 in Phoenix.

The Celts, who had jumped out to a 29-10 lead after one quarter, finally succumbed to the affects of playing back-to-back games, being out-scored, 16-4, in the second overtime. The visitors were also outscored 21-2 to start the third quarter.

“I thought it changed once we put the starters in with about five minutes left in the second quarter,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers told reporters after the game, adding, “I told our guys you can’t win without humility. … We started breaking rules you can’t break in grade school.”

Both Kevin Garnett and Jared Sullinger fouled out, with Garnett playing 38 minutes (scoring 24 points), while the rookie failed to score 24 minutes.

Rajon Rondo did manager a triple-double, scoring 16 points, dishing out 11 assists and hauling in 10 rebounds. The Celtics’ bench also produced with the combination of Jeff Green, Courtney Lee and Jason Terry teamed for 45 points.

Atlanta exposed the Celtics from beyond the three-point line, with Kyle Korver making 8-of-12 from beyond the arc.

“It’s me,” Rivers said. “I have to figure out a way to push buttons with each individual. … I keep telling myself and telling my coaches we have the right group. But we have to act right.

Back to top Go down

Re: POST GAME ATLANTA

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:04 pm

FITTING............CALL IT THE LOST WEEK.................END.....................

Hey Doc, you want to make some changes......I'll give you a tip...............
BENCH PAUL PIERCE!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Losing after being ahead by 27?

Huuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm, where is that panic button?

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey Bob,

I have a left over cyanide tablet if you prefer!

Gotta love where Lee's game has gone....he is a keeper!

I would make a bold statement and start Jeff Green over Paul Pierce......that would get the attention of the rest of the team and Paul. He ball hogged at the end...missed an open Terry and Green on 2 possessions and took ridiculous shots and missed both.

Boy am I pissed!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm normally quite slow to look for the panic button. But with everyone but Wilcox playing, and this far into the season, I'd like to see Doc shake things up. He already threatened to a few games ago in his post game comments so it should be interesting to see what, if anything, he tries to light a fire under them.

Guess we'll have to stay tuned, and conjecture on our part makes it fun......

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 pm

It's going to be a wild 3 1/2 weeks to the trading deadline with lots of speculation.

But I think its time to have Paul come off the bench and give Green a shot at starting to see if he's got it or not. I'd bring Melo up for an easy game...if there is an easy game and see how he does.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:12 am

Too late to think this team as it is constituted will ever, "get it." Ainge should take more of the blame than Doc. Time to make major moves for the future. Pierce is really hurting this team now. He should use his basketball IQ to tell him to lay off ISO & hero ball. Bradley is more trustworthy in the clutch than Pierce now. Pierce needs to accept a diminished role now or move him elsewhere. Garnett plays 38 min. tonight. I doubt if he recovers by Sunday. Got a sinking suspicion Ray Allen will light it up Sunday.. If Pierce tries to cover James it will be like a tricycle trying to keep up with a Harley Davidson.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:35 am

MD,

Doc has to make the change.....Paul will not. It's like a guy drinking too much at a bar and still does not recognize that he's drunk..........the bar tender has to say enough.......no more ...now let me call you a cab!

Paul is now embarrassing himself and is staining a legendary HOF career where in his prime he was the best and I mean the best player going to the paint...no one stopped him.....and if so it was ........he now is shooting 2 shots!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:57 am

worst stretch of basketball in Pierces career, how long is Doc gonna let the Captain embarass himself? can't believe how brick awful his shot looks, bad clanks, hes morphing into Antoine Walker.....so sad to watch

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:14 am

On a +/- basis:

One night, the starters are more solid than the bench:

Against the Knicks: Starters + 6, Bench -9

The next night, the bench is more solid than the starters:

Against the Hawks: Starters -20, Bench +8

Even the inconsistencies are inconsistent. Given that they had back-to-back games, but the starters aren't dramatically older than the bench in general:

Starter's ages: Mean = 29, Median = 27
Bench age: Mean = 27, Median = 27

Of course, two of the three core players among the starters are the oldest players on the team. So fatigue might easily have played a role in losing the game in double overtime. But I can't blame fatigue on the abysmal events of the third quarter.

How much of what ails them could be due to personality disruptions versus execution problems versus systemic considerations versus attitudinal factors versus strategic decisions versus versus ageism versus rotational issues, etc., I don't pretend to know. But the extent of dysfunction is so obvious that it's nothing simple.

One thing I'm sure of. Something fairly major will happen, whether it's trades or benchings or whatever. This team will not be allowed to wallow along in mediocrity and inconsistency through the remainder of the season. The starters are not going to be allowed to play three on five much longer. We can't do anything about it except to hope that whatever's going to happen does so soon—before the spirit of some very fine players is potentially compromised.

Go Celtics!

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:31 am

Taped the game and watched it when I got home from a concert and I'm not surprised we lost to the Hawks tonight, on the road, after playing the Knicks in an emotional game last night.

However, a few things did surprise me.

Surprised we got outscored 102-63 to end the game, after opening up that 27 point lead at 48-21. Even when we were up 20 or more in the early parts of the game we were missing a bunch of open shots and committing some bonehead turnovers. Had a bad feeling about it even before blowing the big lead.

Surprised that our power forward tandem of Bass and Sullinger combined for 43 minutes of play and scored exactly ZERO points. Actually, not surprised Bass was half of that pathetic total. Half of zero is zero. Bass is a STARTING POWER FORWARD in the NBA on a (currently) playoff-bound team and has averaged 3 points and 4 rebounds for his last four games. I repeat, 3 points and 4 rebounds. Get this guy a shrink. Where is the Bass of last season? He isn't hurt. There's no excuse and no explanation. Is he online all night chatting with an imaginary girlfriend and then all pooped out for the games? Did he stop taking steroids?? What's going on with him???

Surprised that Rondo has had back-to-back triple-doubles and his team has lost BOTH games. I've been watching hoops for nearly 50 years and I don't ever remember a player having two triple-doubles in a row in losing efforts. Has it ever happened? I'd bet it hasn't. Would be interesting to check.

Paul Pierce is shot and needs a LOT of rest. Thank GOD he's not going to the all-star game. Too bad he can't take a month off instead of a week. 4 for 13 tonight with some awful turnovers (Rondo and Pierce had 11 turnovers between them - the whole Hawks team only had 12) and now Pierce is an incomprehensible 5 for 33 on threes his last seven games. He once was one of the best three-point shooters in the NBA. Now Rasheed Wallace would kill him in a one-on-one long range shooting contest. Even with Sheed crippled at the moment.

Surprised we shoot 20 for 20 on FT's, the Hawks miss NINE of 'em and we lose by double digits.

Surprised Leandro Barbosa could only get three minutes of playing time in a double overtime game when everyone is obviously gassed from playing the night before. His stock has fallen further than Apple's recently.

Surprised nobody put their fist through a wall in the locker room after the game.

Miami on Sunday after all the extra minutes tonight should be a breeze, right?? A breeze for Miami...

Looks like seven losses in a row and counting.

Bass has gotta go.

Can we trade him for Big Baby????

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:58 am

Glimmer

Rr,, ab, cl and jt all scored in double figures. I think it was the first time this season.

Dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 am

No one knows when a great player stops being great. For PP it has been and continues to be a gradual decline..but now the Celtics cannot win with him playing big minutes.

Can he handle the inevitable change of becoming a rotation player? Does Doc have the fortitude to take this team over the bridge and leave Pierce on the other side?

Dboss

dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 am

bobc33 wrote:Losing after being ahead by 27?

Huuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm, where is that panic button?

Here you go!!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 am

This was the worst game the Celtics have lost in years and years. That must have been a hell of a ride home from Atlanta. I have never been so disappointed in a Celtics team in my life.

Can't blame KG, he played hard the whole night. Pierce is losing it and losing it fast. He gets worse and worse every game. Turnovers, missed shots, and poor decision making on his part. I said it last night and I will say it again, Rondo drove me nuts last night. He was a major reason why Atlanta went on their run unanswered. The way he walks that ball up the floor, dribbling from one side to the other, sorry, he just made some poor
decisions out there. I am sure BobH will agree with me there as we both commented at the same time about Rondo.

On to the Miami game, think Ray is licking his chops??? I don't blame him if he is. This is a good way to shut up the Boston crowd. I will be sitting on my hands when he comes in.

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 am

Isn't Doc the problem?

He seems to me to be stuck in a rut and can't see that he doesn't have the team 0f 2008. Too much reliance on players over the hill (esp. Paul Pierce). Does he have the balls to sit Pierce or use him as a rotational player. Why don't we have more bigs? Is that really Ainge's fault or is it that Doc's so enamored with small ball that he doesn't want more bigs and would refuse to play them if he had them. Why doesn't he play Wilcox? Is he really still injured?

So many questions and I would love to know the answers, but at the moment I can only speculate.

Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 am

I have good news for everyone. The Celtics did not lose last night.

Not as long as you look only at the stats without referring to the final score.

Here's how the game description should read:

"The Boston Celtics cruised to an easy win over the Atlanta Hawks at whatever the hell the Hawks' stadium is named. (Omni? Whatever.)

Boston never looked back after wresting a huge early lead, with seven (that's 7) players scoring in double figures, headed by 24 points (and 10 rebounds) from Kevin Garnett.

The Celtics hit on every single one of their 22 free throw attempts. They grabbed 48 rebounds, 10 of which were on the offensive end. Their 93 field goal attempts and 24 fast break points wore the Hawks to a frazzle. Rondo had a triple double, but many players chipped on the playmaking as the Celts assisted on 67% of their made field goals.

Yup, it all looks rosier than last night's sunset......UNTIL one notes that the Hawks had three players with well over 20 points, won the battle of the paint 50-38, had 11 three-pointers, and assisted on 79% of their made field goals, while the Celtics were committing 21 turnovers.

Yeah, back-to-back games, KG played too many minutes, Pierce stank in the clutch, yada yada yada. And some of the Celtics' good stats were inflated by the double overtimes (well, at least the first one, as they were obviously in the can taking a group leak during the second extra stanza).

Whatever the excuses, the current formula simply isn't working. Even the glimmers—one can always find glimmers—are becoming more scarce. I mean, when your silver lining is headlined by the fact that your 35-year-old "erupted" for 12 points, Bad Day at Black Rock seems like Cracker Jacks and cotten candy at the rodeo in comparison.

BUT, keeping the faith is part of being a good fan. It's human nature to gripe, and that's part of what this board is for. But my advice is that we should all pace ourselves in the griping department because I want there to be enough left to discuss the definitive perspective on this team come April.

Go Celtics!

Sam

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 am

Hi,
There are good losses, there are bad losses and there are shameful losses. Last night was shameful.
Frankly, I don't understand how a team can go from 25-0 run to 0-19 collapse in the span of 1 hour? Incredible! Maybe the players called Doc's bluff?
I still think that something is cooking that the general public is not aware of.
Maybe PP is part of it. In any case, I agree that he has to step down. For so many games it's been painful to watch him trying to do what he used to do with ease (even a year ago) and stumble. It's time to sit, Captain. For the sake of the team.
BTW, speaking about +/-, Jason Collins was +20(!)
Now to the good news: Bruins won last night.

AK

sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am

Sinus, that's precisely why +/- is a total crock when it comes to evaluating individual players. Perhaps Collins contributed a little something or other (which doesn't show up in the box score), but he was basically riding on the coat tails of others who happened to outscore the Hawks by 20 when he was on the floor.

I've pretty much given up commenting on it, but I always get a private chuckle whenever I see +/- used in connection with an individual player. I actually think it's a pretty good barometer when it's used to discuss five-man player combinations.

I wish you'd expand on your comment about the players possibly calling Doc's bluff. I agree with you that something unknown to us may be cooking. I'd surely like to know what it is.

I feel sorry for Paul Pierce. He must be going through hell right about now. It's easy for us to say he should be playing less, but it's human nature for a warrior to not to focus on his own failings because he's concentrating so hard on continuing to be a warrior. It's not so much an ego thing as it is a personal doctrine that has been his unflinching companion for many years.

Sam

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 pm

It seems that Wyc also may have let the cat out of the bag with his comments Thursday or Friday. I read last night where he said something is going to happen, but, of course, did not elaborate.

I feel for Paul also. It has got to be driving him crazy as he watches some of his skills that he relied on so heavily erode. He is a great Celtic. I only wish for him that he takes the All Star break in stride and gets alot of rest and relaxation. They say that Kobe is having alot of the same issues. One of the ways these guys get themselves out of a funk like this is to go to the gym. Seems to me that he needs some rest. I feel strongly that he should remain on this team, period. However, I think that giving Green a shot in the starting lineup could be beneficial for all.

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top