10 OPTIONS FOR CELTICS TO FILL RAJON RONDO’S VOID

View previous topic View next topic Go down

10 OPTIONS FOR CELTICS TO FILL RAJON RONDO’S VOID

Post by 112288 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

WEEI

By Ben Rohrbach

Keyon Dooling

In the wake of Rajon Rondo‘s season-ending right ACL tear, the Celtics surely will be looking to add depth behind Avery Bradley, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee and Leandro Barbosa in the backcourt as soon as possible.

In all likelihood, that group offers the best four options for C’s president Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers to fill the void left by Rondo’s injury, and while nobody will replace the four-time All-Star’s impact, there are plenty of available players who could eat minutes in his absence. Here are 10 options.

NBA FREE AGENTS

Keyon Dooling: After abruptly retiring this past fall and accepting a player development role within the Celtics organization, Dooling told The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn he’d consider a comeback. This route probably makes the most sense, considering Dooling’s experience in the C’s system and his influence on the locker room. If he plays himself into NBA shape, his manic defense and 3-point shooting could also be useful weapons at the end of the bench.

Jonny Flynn: After a disappointing NBA career, the No. 6 overall pick in 2009 now plays for the Melbourne Tigers in the Australian National Basketball League. His contract reportedly includes a clause that allows him to return stateside should an NBA team come calling. Flynn’s averages of 5.2 points and 3.8 assists in 29 games for the Rockets and Blazers last season have translated into 16.8 points and 6.0 assists in the mediocre NBL.

Jeremy Pargo: The Cavaliers traded D.J. Kennedy for Pargo and a second-round pick, but they dropped the 26-year-old Gonzaga product after 25 games. He averaged 7.8 points and 2.6 assists in 17.9 minutes for Cleveland.

NBA TRADE DEADLINE

Kyle Lowry or Jose Calderon: The former “has not made many friends in his new surroundings,” according to CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger, and the latter seemingly has been on the trade block every year this decade. Both players have attractive deals, as Calderon’s $10.6 million contract expires after this season and Lowry is playing the penultimate season of a four-year, $23.5 million contract. And both players could help the Celtics win games this season, but how much are they willing to give up for a stopgap that won’t make them a title contender?

Luke Ridnour or J.J. Barea: Since Ricky Rubio‘s return from his own ACL injury, the Timberwolves have a plethora of point guards with Ridnour and Barea also in the backcourt. Both guys are averaging around 12 points and four assists while making around $4 million this season and next (Barea is signed through 2014-15).

NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE

The top five available point guards in the D-League, according to development league guru Kevin Scheitrum:

Delonte West: The intrigue here is obvious. West has played under Rivers twice, and he’s a tough combo guard with playoff experience who averaged 14.3 points and 4.7 assists per 36 minutes during his last NBA stint. That’s where things get hairy, considering he was suspended twice by the Mavericks for detrimental conduct and subsequently waived before the season even started this past October. The Celtics had legitimate concerns after the 2010-11 season about bringing back a guy whose instability has been well documented, so they’d have to weigh those same concerns before adding the recently signed Texas Legend guard.

Chris Wright: Injuries derailed the 2007 McDonald’s All-American’s Georgetown career, but the 6-foot-1 Wright has emerged as perhaps the D-League’s best pure point guard. He’s averaging 14.8 points (43.2 FG%, 37.9 3P%, 74.7 FT%), 7.4 assists, 4.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals in 36.6 minutes over 23 games for the Iowa Energy.

Donald Sloan: After graduating from Texas A&M in 2010, Sloan has bounced between the D-League and NBA on a series of non-guaranteed contracts over the past four years. While he played sparingly for the Hornets on a 10-day deal earlier this month, the 6-foot-3 guard averaged 4.1 points and 1.9 assists in 12.9 minutes over 20 games for the Cavaliers in the first two months of this season. He’s averaging 22.0 points (50.6 FG%, 38.5 3P%, 80.6 FT%), 6.0 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 2.0 steals in 36.2 minutes over five games for the Sioux Falls Skyforce.

Courtney Fortson: An undersized 5-foot-11, 185-pound athletic freak, Fortson left the University of Arkansas early and didn’t get drafted until the fourth round of the 2011 D-League draft. Since then, he’s had two unspectacular brief NBA stints but currently averages 19.2 points (41.4 FG%, 40.0 3P%, 77.3 FT%), 6.5 assists, 5.3 rebounds and 1.9 steals in 39.2 minutes a night over 23 games for the L.A. Defenders.

Andre Barrett: A journeyman approaching 31 years old, Barrett has been playing in the C’s own backyard on the Maine Red Claws since the 76ers signed Shelvin Mack off the roster. Another undersized guy at 5-foot-11, 175 pounds, he’s averaging 8.3 points (31.1 FG%, 16.7 3P%, 82.6 FT%), 11.3 assists, 3.6 rebounds and 1.3 steals in 33.4 minutes over seven games for the Red Claws this month.

Back to top Go down

Re: 10 OPTIONS FOR CELTICS TO FILL RAJON RONDO’S VOID

Post by Outside on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Option 11: Stand pat with Lee, Bradley, Barbosa, and Terry.

Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I wonder what kind of contract Christmas has with his russian team.

swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm

I think Danny gets a serviceable PG for this year. I am not sure who is available as a free agent in the summer who is good, but Danny cannot go into next year with a has been PG. There are now big question marks as to Rondo coming back to the way we knew him. He will be battling several issues:

1) The physical injury itself and how he can perform according to Rondo standards.
2) Mental stress. The fear of re-injury to himself and the end of his career. Ricky Rubio is going through this right now and I assume Derek Rose when he comes back.
3) Will the team embrace him when he comes back if they are winning and excelling under a new PG who may be good.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Outside wrote:Option 11: Stand pat with Lee, Bradley, Barbosa, and Terry.

...which seems to make the most sense.

NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am

NYCelt wrote:

d'accord! That makes three of us. Anymore out there?

Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 am

Outside and NYCelt, Count me in that camp. We've had a logjam at guard, and the only upside I see to Rondo's injury is more PT for Lee and Barbosa. With our best player out this year, we need to look to next year and beyond. While we wait for Rondo to heal we could promote Melo, let him work some kinks out this season under KG's tutelage and with the lower pressure of reduced expectations for the team.
If we pick up another guard, let it be one we want to see in uniform in 2016. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 am

Berlin-T wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

d'accord! That makes three of us. Anymore out there?

Agree. We still have two roster spots open. See what shakes out at the deadline and then add one true PG and one true center. Add a seasoned Fab later on.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:57 pm

These tweets, from Gary Washburn, at roughly 2pm ET 1/29:

gary washburn‏@GwashNBAGlobe

@celticsblog No he wasn't kidding.

1hgary washburn‏@GwashNBAGlobe

Doc Rivers says Keyon Dooling return is possibility http://sulia.com/c/boston-celtics/f/ec6ab1e9-e167-4b42-98c7-d339c6d350b6/?source=twitter …

1hgary washburn‏@GwashNBAGlobe

Doc Rivers said Keyon Dooling coming back is a possibility and he has told Dooling to start getting in shape #celtics

bob
Ok, now THIS is ridiculous. He's not in shape, hasn't played a game all year, didn't want to play this year even though we signed him, he's not a true point guard and didn't show he could run Doc's offense last year anyway and he's going to be 33 years old in May.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 pm

To anyone:

All of these options sound great. Plan for the future; get a serviceable or "true" PG and center (possibly by just filling the two empty roster slots). Don't blow it up, but expedite the planning for the future. And don't trade away the half-dozen most attractive assets.

I'm known as a hopeless optimist where the Celtics are concerned. But doesn't it appear that some of these expressed objectives sort of conflict with one another?

I think I'm going to start calling Danny "Carnac," because, if he can proceed in a way that meets all of these requirements, he'll be the best magician ever.

I do think the two vacant roster slots offer Danny some leeway if he can find decent, cheap options for the C and PG spots either in free agency or the DL. (I've been lobbying for Delonte West, and perhaps an in-shape Dooling could help although I don't consider him to be even a poor man's floor general.) I'd be willing to get into shape and give the center position a try, even at a minimum salary. But Danny faces a daunting task, and I realize he's not about to get players just to sit on the bench.

Sam

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm

If Sam is coming back at center than I'm coming back at pg. After all, I used to wear #14 when last I played which was about 1960-61. Of course, I will have to play myself into another shape, don't think this round one will suffice.

mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Dooling is a good choice this year. He knows the Celtic system and it would not cost Danny a draft pick or young talent. GM's are now looking to pick Danny's eye balls out so this works in our favor long term.

It does not prevent Danny from cutting away some dead wood and swap some role players to upgrade our bench. Remember regardless of Rondo's injury, the Celtics and some players were not living up to the billing and changes had to be made....remember we lost 6 straight! The summer is where Danny can begin getting some good premier talent in without causing the Celtics...Our Celtics major young talent. that is why Danny will not make impact trades now for premier players.

I will say that Pierce will go.....how can he stay. Next year at $15 million. That is too much for an aging player who cannot play major minutes and deliver star quality basketball. That amount of money can be given to 2 free agents in the off season - 1 star player and a good role player. If Danny keeps Pierce next year at that salary..it only delays the rebuilding process another year.

KG can still play at a high level so I see him staying unless a "once in a life time deal" comes Danny way for KG and KG agrees to the trade...think an LA Team as KG lives in Malibu.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top