Jared Sullinger to miss rest of the season.

+7
dboss
sinus007
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
Sam
international
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jared Sullinger to miss rest of the season. - Page 2 Empty Re: Jared Sullinger to miss rest of the season.

Post by Sam Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:20 am

Tardust,

Actually, I think that one of the main things Sully has going for him is rapidly advancing medical technology.

For several years, I had severe spinal stenosis, which is a condition in which growing calcium deposits strangle the bundle of nerves that are threaded through the holes in the spinal vertebrae. On an MRI, you could clearly see the point at which the passageway through one vertebra narrowed so that it was virtually closed.

Whenever I over-exerted myself, the nerves would signal my back muscles that they were strangling, and the two main muscles running vertically down my back would signal me to stop my exertion by becoming cement hard.

I had surgery that took only an hour. The name of the procedure was (believe it or not) laminoforaminoplasty. The operation took less time than it took to say the name.

I was awake the whole time. They made a half-inch incision and threaded a tiny incision through the incision. In the sac was a drill and a little vacuum cleaner. They used the sac to push aside the nerves so they wouldn't be affected. Then they drilled a hole in the affected area of the spine, broke up the calcium deposits with the drill, and vacuumed all the loose calcium, extracted the sack and tools, and left me with only a single band-aid.

I immediately felt relief; and in mid-afternoon of the same day, I danced a jig in my motel room—because I could.

I'm not at all trying to equate my situation with that of Jared. I'm sure his was more serious and complex. And the demands he puts on his back are obviously far more traumatic than mine. But just five years earlier, the technology didn't exist to address my problem so quickly and completely. And I'm willing to bet the same thing was true in Jared's case.

Now I once again have back problems, but this time it's arthritis, not stenosis. My form of arthritis is pretty much thought of as an incurable bitch (although not as problematic as stenosis), but I wouldn't be shocked if a cure is found in my lifetime.

Moreover, in Sully's case, money will be no object, whereas I had to pay $5,000 (with Medicare funding the other $20,000).

So I believe there is every rationale for hoping Sully will be better than ever next season and thereafter. It's not a slam dunk, but that's not Sully's game anyway.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Jared Sullinger to miss rest of the season. - Page 2 Empty Re: Jared Sullinger to miss rest of the season.

Post by tardust Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:02 am

Sam,
Without going into a lot of detail, I had pretty much the same thing as Sully is having. My results are not near what I was expecting. I had the little clamp put in with the 4 screws. Also had the fusion.

Also have the usual bone spurs, arthritis, etc. Of course as we get older everyone has some of this stuff, just some more extreme than others. I had mine done at the Texas Back Institute which is considered by many as one of the very best back facilities around.

The term min evasive if kind of misleading to me. I was cut open in the front and the back. I sure hope Sully has better results than I have.

I have read a ton on the internet and it pretty obvious everyone reacts differently to this. Like I said earlier, age is the best thing going for him. IMO. Hopefully he will lose a little weight.

Its been 2 years for me and I recently went on STD after knee surgery effected the way I was walking and really sent my back into a tailspin. Been off work for 2 months now. I have to make a decision pretty quick about whether I want to try one of these "stimulaters" that people are using now. I hate the idea of putting another object in my back. It may be the only thing left from what I have been told. That or continue with narcotics, which I don't want either. (talk about one mixed up mind)

Anyway I have rattled enough.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:44 am

technological advances give Hope that Sully may recover and be able to contribute. I love the way this kid plays. But those feelings do not sway me from what I believe is a legitimate concern over Danny's decision to draft him. It was a risk to do so and now that risk has turned into a loss.

At this point in time we do not know if the loss is short, midterm or permanent. Thus, this uncertainty is not perceived but a reality that Celtics fan will ponder.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 am

Tardust,

Wow, you've had much more than your share of back challenges (to say nothing about the knee). I know my experiences was much less extreme, and I was just about age 70 when I had the procedure. My main point was the availability of medical technology that is increasing all the time. (Although it's obviously not a panacea, as your continuing back distress would attest.)

Good luck, and I admire you for not quitting on yourself and continuing to address the challenge with measures such as stimulators.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 am

Sam,
experienced at them all, throw in open heart surgery at age 48. Of all of the surgeries I have experience with the easiest to come back from was open heart. Sounds kind of funny doesn't it.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 am

Tardust,

Actually, it sounds rather comforting as, after seven relatively easy angioplasties, I'll have to have a valve replacement in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for the good news.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 am

Sam,
If you makes you feel any better my wife told me right before I went into the operating room for that it was not a big deal. She said they do this every day now, no problem. I looked up at her and said, yea its not a big deal when its not happening to you! After the chest area heals, you pretty much don't think about it any more. I was playing golf after 6 months and won our club championship 9 months post op.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2