worcester
MDCelticsFan
dboss
Berlin-T
NYCelt
Matty
12 posters

Go down

Peirce rather go to to another contender than rebuild Empty Peirce rather go to to another contender than rebuild

Post by Matty Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:23 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225998/Pierce-Unwilling-To-Be-Part-Of-Rebuilding-Situation

it would really hurt to see him go, if its to happen, i really hope it goes down with more class than when our last future HOFer left. no matter what Paul is a Celtic
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Peirce rather go to to another contender than rebuild Empty Re: Peirce rather go to to another contender than rebuild

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Matty,

I think Pierce has missed the point that the rebuild is already underway. He's my favorite current Celtic, but I've come to believe it's time for him to go. He's not going to be happy with what we have to do and his value will only decline from here.

I think it would be good to thank him for his time here by giving him a chance to win another title elsewhere, and see what can be worked out to build for the future under the current CBA rules by dealing him.

He's not winning another ring here, but in the end his number goes to the rafters when he's done and he'll only be remembered as a Celtic.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Peirce rather go to to another contender than rebuild Empty Re: Peirce rather go to to another contender than rebuild

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 pm

I am a little taken back by Pierce with his statement. If the Celtics rebuild....it's not like we are starting over........I think the transition could be done on the fly.

It's almost as though Pierce is daring Danny to trade him........Strange Comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 am

I think Pierce is thinking back to the time when Ainge blew up the team and drafted all those young players which resulted a few years later in the trade for Garnett. The team was awful and I can understand why he wouldn't want to go through that again, especially at the end of his career.

That being said I agree with NYCelt (just this one time) that the rebuilding process is well underway. Paul just hasn't noticed it and if Danny can pull off a a smart but not disrupting trade for a big I'm sure things will continue to run smoothly, hence Paul will stay.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Paul may not understand that Boston has already rebuilt with the exception of getting a bonifide center (fab has a longggggg wsy to go)

I doubt he has to be concerned with being part of a rebuilding project since he will not be on this team that much longer.

Dboss

Last edited by dboss on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Berlin,

Thanks for agreeing with me, at least just this once!

I hope all is well and that you're having a good day.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Pierce or Garnett would not bring the Celtics what is needed. a young stud Center, or a bonafide point guard the ilk of the one who is awaiting surgery. What is interesting is that Garnett said he would only waive his no trade clause if Pierce was gone. This would open Pandora's Box for a wholesale housecleaning and rebuilding. I would hate to see Pierce go for sentimental reasons, but there is a school of thought that eliminates sentimental in running a business.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 pm

NYCelt, I have to disagree with your view that Paul has no chance to win #18 here. They may even do it this year. Odds are long but Celtic pride is strong.

Regarding trading PP and KG, I don't think ownership will let that happen. Any year you can make the playoffs, and for sure we can for this year and next with KG and PP, is a year the Garden sells out and brings in playoff revenues. Bottom line, it's a business, and the Celts aren't going to sully the product (no oun intended) while it's still quite marketable.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Worcester, I agree that a ring this year is improbable, but not out of the question. I think we're a good back-up Big away from being dangerous, as long as everyone now healthy, especially, KG, stays healthy. As for Pierce's comments; does he know something we don't?
He can still score, but he's in the last quarter of his career. Would he accept coming off the bench any better than Ray, or does he have to be the focus to be happy? If he can't accept a lesser role, it might be better to trade him before its a big issue. But this year? I'm torn. I love the way this team is playing now and if we can land a Darko-like center (as that was the plan), and not sustain any more serious injuries, we may contend. On the other hand, I'd trade Pierce for a big as good as Noah in a heartbeat. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm

W-

I have a reputation for being the eternal optimist, but I'm handing that title over to you! No one can doubt that you're a true "bleed green" type of fan.

As for both KG and Pierce departing, I agree that it is unlikely.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Hawk,

I'm with you; if only we could deal for a big as good as Noah!

I'm more from the school of thought that's come from writers covering the C's, perhaps put best recently by Jackie MacMullan. Her way of looking at the situation is that the Celtic administration gave an admirable shot at rebuilding on the fly, but it didn't work. We are good enough to get into the playoffs, and I think we could even move up a few spots. With our star point guard and best rebounding young forward on the bench it would be tough sledding from there.

If we were to try and deal, making contracts match up properly is difficult as well. I would speculate that if they were to take Pierce at his word and try to move him we would need to somehow get draft picks as part of the deal. I think if we want to contend again soon we need to stockpile draft picks to give ourselves better odds in a relatively weak draft year. Getting expensive proven veterans to fit in with the cap tax is going to be hard to do until Pierce and KG's contracts are gone.

I believe we can remain a playoff team while we rebuild into a contender if we pursue some younger bigs, through the draft and other means if possible, and retain Rondo, Green, Bradley and perhaps Lee. If we build around those four we could remain a fun team to watch and a dangerous opponent. We could have an important element of front-court depth taken care of if Sullinger's weight and back problems can be kept in check.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 pm

MDcelt

Why would the Celts make a trade for a bonifide PG when they already have one?

NYcelt

I agree. It is unlikely that PP and/or KG are moved.

Even without Rondo, they could make some noise in the playoffs if they add a big. There is still a lot of talent on this team and they are figuring out how to play together.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 pm

In my opinion the Celtics once PP is gone we could also use a young go to guy.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 pm

dboss wrote:In my opinion the Celtics once PP is gone we could also use a young go to guy.

Dboss

Yes, good point. Rebuilding a contender doesn't simply mean bringing in a slew of bigs.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 pm

We have enough bigs, Doc just has to play them.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bigislandbob Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 pm

18 is possible this season if we are able to somehow get a Dalembert type who can give the team 20 minutes of interior presence--defending the rim, taking up space and rebounding. Not sure how that would happen as I do like the makeup of the current squad. I'd be ok with sending out Collins and Bass if need be. Otherwise the current rotation has been playing well. A concern, though, is Wilcox, as once he gets his game legs he is so promising but then he's not able to sustain it due to injuries so can we truly rely on him? ( the same can be said for any player but cw does seem to be injury-prone).

As for rebuilding--after this season and forward--with green, sully, bradley, lee, rondo--we are a big and a go-to guy away. supposing there was a way to do an allen/kg type of off-season acquisition again--who is realistically out there that the celtics could actually bring in to fill those holes--even if any and all on the above list were made available? just wondering on a saturday morning on the big island. enjoying how this recent run has rejuvenated the team and the season and why celtics basketball is the best. aloha

bigislandbob

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

bigislandbob wrote:18 is possible this season if we are able to somehow get a Dalembert type who can give the team 20 minutes of interior presence--defending the rim, taking up space and rebounding. Not sure how that would happen as I do like the makeup of the current squad. I'd be ok with sending out Collins and Bass if need be. Otherwise the current rotation has been playing well. A concern, though, is Wilcox, as once he gets his game legs he is so promising but then he's not able to sustain it due to injuries so can we truly rely on him? ( the same can be said for any player but cw does seem to be injury-prone).

As for rebuilding--after this season and forward--with green, sully, bradley, lee, rondo--we are a big and a go-to guy away. supposing there was a way to do an allen/kg type of off-season acquisition again--who is realistically out there that the celtics could actually bring in to fill those holes--even if any and all on the above list were made available? just wondering on a saturday morning on the big island. enjoying how this recent run has rejuvenated the team and the season and why celtics basketball is the best. aloha

aloha bigislandbob, and welcome to the board. I live in the San Francisco bay area, myself. Do you live on the Hilo or Kailua-Kona side or further north?

Everybody seems to agree that we need another big. What we don't seem to agree on is who we would give up to get him and, perhaps more importantly, who the other team would demand to give him to us.

As far as the Allen/KG trade scenario goes, most teams are lucky to get one of those a decade, we got two.

We're moving the ball, a lot of hands are touching it now. Not as much dribbling and certainly not a lot of clock-wasting waiting for players to execute. That is engaging every player and is making things harder for defenses.

A Samuel Dalembert-type who gives us 20mpg? Well, we can dream, can't we?

See you around...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Somehow I just don't think that Danny will blow up this team. He made a commitment to KG and PP when they resigned. The team is playing as well as it has all season. If Danny makes a trade it will not include our perennial all stars unless we receive like in return. That is not likely as things stand now. Much more likely is a combination of a small trade for a possible key role player and the signings of free agents. In looking over Paul's statement I really didn't see anything new. He has always said that business is business and he understands the team's viewpoint. He has also said that he wants to win another ring. The chances of him going somewhere else to do this is extremely rare. PP wants to retire a Celtic. It is almost unheard of these days for a player to play his entire career with one team but none-the-less, that is the Celtic legacy and Paul wants to be part of that. If the Celtics dump PP and KG then they are in rebuilding mode and a fly has nothing to do with it. It will take 3-5 years to really get to a championship level again once if we axe two future HOFers. How can we replace talent like this? With whom? To what real end? Just makes no sense to me. Of course, this is definitely not the time to try and lure people to Boston. Much to white right now. Wait till the thaw. Cool
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bigislandbob Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 pm

bobheckler wrote:
bigislandbob wrote:18 is possible this season if we are able to somehow get a Dalembert type who can give the team 20 minutes of interior presence--defending the rim, taking up space and rebounding. Not sure how that would happen as I do like the makeup of the current squad. I'd be ok with sending out Collins and Bass if need be. Otherwise the current rotation has been playing well. A concern, though, is Wilcox, as once he gets his game legs he is so promising but then he's not able to sustain it due to injuries so can we truly rely on him? ( the same can be said for any player but cw does seem to be injury-prone).

aloha bigislandbob, and welcome to the board. I live in the San Francisco bay area, myself. Do you live on the Hilo or Kailua-Kona side or further north?

Everybody seems to agree that we need another big. What we don't seem to agree on is who we would give up to get him and, perhaps more importantly, who the other team would demand to give him to us.

As far as the Allen/KG trade scenario goes, most teams are lucky to get one of those a decade, we got two.

We're moving the ball, a lot of hands are touching it now. Not as much dribbling and certainly not a lot of clock-wasting waiting for players to execute. That is engaging every player and is making things harder for defenses.

A Samuel Dalembert-type who gives us 20mpg? Well, we can dream, can't we?

See you around...

bob

Hey thanks for the welcome! I used to read a lot of Sam's posts as well as many of the other folks when they were posting on the globe site. I am north of Hilo--Hamakua area. Rainy season here now so good for the trees and plants.

It will be fun to see how it goes between now and the trading deadline and then the rest of the season. It is encouraging to see J Green show some assertiveness. That one swoop move to the rim against the Lakers the other night made me exclaim out loud--shades of The Hawk--Connie Hawkins! Green could become the go-to guy to step in for Pierce over the next season or so and then we can build around him, Bradley, RR--though many are uncertain if RR is to a be keeper. Well it's all fun and games and keeps me occupied on these rainy days.

bigislandbob

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:07 am

Connie Hawkins - such a great memory. He was so badly treated by the NBA execs that it's led me to believe it's possible for an NBA Commish to be an underhanded conniving bastard, since one was in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Hawkins

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 am

I think Danny is close to something on landing a Big, also a wing. That is why he sent him down to fill 2 roster spots.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:38 am

From your keyboard to God's ears.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Watching Knicks and Clippers.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down