Bill Russell Special

5 posters

Go down

Bill Russell Special Empty Bill Russell Special

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:53 pm

There is going to be a special on February 18 on TNT with Bill Simmons interviewing Russell. It looks great. Time is different for everyone, but watch for it.

I watched a clip of it tonight, Russ still is such a great interview. What a special time it was when he was playing. What do you think Sam.....do you feel as privileged as I do to have watched some of the greatest basketball players in the world for almost nothing????? What a time it was.

Anyway, watch for that special everyone, you will be glad you did.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Bill Russell Special Empty Re: Bill Russell Special

Post by Sam Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Rosalie, of course I feel privileged. Actually, I'm glad I started following the Celtics seriously well before Russ came along. Along with being able to focus on the more obvious things and intangibles Cousy brought to the game, I felt empathy for all the role players who were trying in various ways to plug the holes in the dike. Guys like Bob Brannun, Ernie Risen, Ernie Barrett, Bob Donham, Bob "Elbows" Harris, John Mahnken, Chuck Cooper, Jack Nichols and Don Barksdale.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Love reading about the old Cousy era Celtics.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

I read tonight where this special is on NBA TV. If you are not signed up for this, is there a way to get it on the computer? BobH you are the one I figured might know how I can watch this interview.

Thanks

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:39 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I read tonight where this special is on NBA TV. If you are not signed up for this, is there a way to get it on the computer? BobH you are the one I figured might know how I can watch this interview.

Thanks

Rosalie
Rosalie,

Go to www.nba.com, and they have a link to a Mr. Russell's House video at the upper left. That takes you to a page that starts the first part of the interview. They've broken it up into chunks that you can access from that page.

If my explanation isn't clear or they no longer have the video accessible from the home page when you try this, let me know. I enjoyed the interview thoroughly.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks Outside, I just watched it all. Were the videos the entire interview just broken up into segments?

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:15 pm

its still on there, i watched almost all of it..

listening to Russel is like hearing your grandfather talk about 'the good old days" thankyou for the link
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 pm

He was one terrific ballplayer. I am so glad I can say I was there when......

Those were great years for the Boston Celtics. Some unbelievable players, great plays, and Russ.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:He was one terrific ballplayer. I am so glad I can say I was there when......

Those were great years for the Boston Celtics. Some unbelievable players, great plays, and Russ.

Rosalie

rosalie,

my mother has since i was a small kid insisted i was born at least 150 years too late, if not a thousand.. while i've never disagreed with that, i wooda taken coming along a few decades earlier and further east so i could've enjoyed seeing Cooz, Russel and Hondo playing. Still got to see The original Big Three twice and so many times on t.v. but as wonderfull as that was, i still feel cheated out of some wonderfull Celtic Memories,

So i've always been happy to listen to some of those who were there share those moments with the rest of us.

- Matty..

Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Thanks Outside, I just watched it all. Were the videos the entire interview just broken up into segments?

Rosalie
I thought they had the whole interview show on the nba.com site, but now I'm not sure. There should be about 40-45 minutes worth altogether -- it was an hour program with the usual amount of commercials. A quick tally of what I found didn't add up to that, but maybe I missed something.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 pm

I guess I watched about a little more than a half an hour. It was terrific. He is such a unique person, so comfortable in his own skin. Great.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm

its aMazing, how much of an influence his father had on him.. a lesson i think todays society could possibly pick a little lesson from..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 am

Has anyone noticed what proportion of the time Russ disagrees with the opinions of others? It's almost as though he subtly tries to turn others into mini-adversaries so he can prevail over them—even if just momentarily.

In some ways, his "me against the world" mentality has fueled his unmatchable insistence upon winning. But the remarkable thing is how he has selectively exempted certain people from that mentality and has become fiercely loyal to them. His teammates and Red were among the select group.

He incessantly reaffirms his devotion to the Celtics. My guess is that it's the only group within which he's been completely comfortable in his entire life. Sometimes he seems almost obsessed with never allowing anything to blemish that phenomenon in his life.

Russ easily surpassed luminaries such as Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or Lebron James in the consistency of his ability to impose his will when it counted most. And he imposed his will in a greater variety of ways than they ever dreamed of.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 am

Really great show, loved seeing the old clips.

Two things really stood out to me.
Russ was sitting in the first row when MLK made his famous speech and they asked him to give a little talk before the speech and he turned it down. He didn't want the event to be about him at all, just the cause.

Another was when he was speechless for a moment after his final game in 69. Once he finally composed himself, all he talked about were his guys, his teamates, how great they were, how he wouldn't trade them for anybody, how much belief he had in them.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down