Report: Celtics close to signing...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Report: Celtics close to signing...

Post by gyso on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 pm

This is how Williams was allowed to leave a team in China:

Williams, due to a recent death in the family, will be unable to return to the team, due to the sensitive nature of the issue, the team allowed Williams to leave. Williams was outstanding in his time with the team, as he averaged 17.9ppg and 3 rpg and 4 apg while playing just under 27 minutes a game. Losing Williams will be a huge blow to a team that was looking to regain that championship form, which saw the Tigers win 7 of the last 9 CBA championships. There has been no word of a replacement, if any.

http://www.usbasket.com/NBA/basketball.asp?NewsID=307366

Read the comments at the bottom. Old friend, Bill Walker, could be available . . . [/gag]

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:38 pm

gyso wrote:This is how Williams was allowed to leave a team in China:

Williams, due to a recent death in the family, will be unable to return to the team, due to the sensitive nature of the issue, the team allowed Williams to leave. Williams was outstanding in his time with the team, as he averaged 17.9ppg and 3 rpg and 4 apg while playing just under 27 minutes a game. Losing Williams will be a huge blow to a team that was looking to regain that championship form, which saw the Tigers win 7 of the last 9 CBA championships. There has been no word of a replacement, if any.

http://www.usbasket.com/NBA/basketball.asp?NewsID=307366

Read the comments at the bottom. Old friend, Bill Walker, could be available . . . [/gag]

By sheer coincidence there is a death in his family (of a sensitive, unmentionable nature) just as the Celtics start looking for a guard. We're fortunate his mourning period was so brief.

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I've read where Williams has been compared to:

1. Marquis Daniels (role and versatility, less polished offensively, minus the injury history)

2. Gerald Wallace (shorter, poorer shooting, knucklehead version)

3. Ricky Davis (hopefully the "good" Ricky)

4. Von Wafer (Great in spurts, wears thin on a team.)

Here is what some are saying about his bad side:

1. Coaches don't like him. Why don’t they like him? Because he doesn’t listen and won’t fill the limited role they give him. He wants his role to be the ball handler/scorer and that gets him pulled, benched and eventually shipped out of town.

Hopefully, Doc can connect.

2. Most of his issues came as a Net. Trying to show off in summer league instead of team ball, being late to meetings and practice, etc…im sure having a fiery attitude isnt good when you have a fiery attitude coach in Avery Johnson too.

Some say Avery Johnson is a lousy coach, too emotional. Also, there is a long list of players that have been in AJ's doghouse.

Hopefully, Doc can connect.

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : speling, added Von Wafer)

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 pm

Terrence Williams only played in 10 games under Avery Johnson before he was traded to Houston.

Even though he has some talent, no team was interested in signing him to a minimum contract this season. He was in camp with Detroit but they waived him before the season started.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Boston Celtics Report
Rapid Reaction: C's add Williams

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Rapid reaction after multiple reports indicate the Boston Celtics will sign swingman Terrence Williams to a 10-day contract:

* TALENT OVER POSITION: Celtics coach Doc Rivers said that he and president of basketball operations Danny Ainge agreed last week that the team wouldn't seek a body based solely on positional need and instead would attempt to ink the best available bodies with the idea that pure talent had a better chance to crack the rotation. Rivers had said his wish list included a ball-handler and frontcourt depth. The 6-foot-6 Williams doesn't exactly fill either need, but he can handle the ball and distribute (a 21.7 career assist percentage), while also being a competitive rebounder (20.1 defensive rebound percentage). To put that in perspective, Pierce has a 22.9 assist rate this season (second only to Rajon Rondo on the Celtics), while Jared Sullinger's defensive rebound percentage was 22.2 percent before his season-ending injury. A former first-round pick of the Nets (11th overall), Williams' all-around skill set can potentially help Boston more than what's otherwise available at the positions of need for the Celtics.

* FLEXIBILITY AT SWING SPOT: After losing Leandro Barbosa for the season, the Celtics were down to three pure guards on their roster. That forced Rivers to get creative with lineups and he paired Pierce and Jeff Green at the shooting guard and small forward spots often in Wednesday's first-half finale. Boston can add Williams to that mix, helping eat up the minutes lost when Barbosa went down. Add in Courtney Lee and Boston has a versatile group of swingmen that Rivers can mix and match.

* FLEXIBILITY AT DEADLINE: By adding Williams, the Celtics bring in much-needed depth for a team that was playing with 10 healthy bodies (one of which was rookie Fab Melo on recall from the D-League). Boston maintains deadline flexibility as there's no little risk or cost with a 10-day contract and Williams can be cut loose from his deal if Boston needs his roster spot sooner. Williams, fresh off a stint in China, will get a chance to fill minutes and Boston can evaluate his potential to help long term as it navigates the trade deadline (and the buyout period after that).

* SYNERGY SNAPSHOT: Honing in on his last NBA go-around -- an 18-game stint with the Kings last season -- Williams advanced numbers won't floor you. He averaged a mere 0.837 points per play offensively, ranking in the 36th percentile. He struggled with spot-up shooting, but was actually solid as a pick-and-roll ball-handler and in isolation (in fact, his 1.464 points per play in ISO was easily the best in the league, albeit in a mere 28-play sample). Defensively, he was average overall, but solid against spot-up shooting in a small sample. His career numbers suggest a player that has struggled to stick because of inconsistent production in limited minutes.

* LOW RISK, HIGH REWARD: Some have questioned Williams' focus, but this is a low-risk move for Boston, which simply needs healthy bodies and will hope to hit the free-agent jackpot. Williams averaged 8.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game over 20.5 minutes per game in Sacramento and the Celtics would be fine if he can produce anywhere near that level in short minutes with Boston.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 pm

tjmakz wrote:Terrence Williams only played in 10 games under Avery Johnson before he was traded to Houston.

Even though he has some talent, no team was interested in signing him to a minimum contract this season. He was in camp with Detroit but they waived him before the season started.

I imagine the guy whose words I brought to this board was a Net fan. I don't know (I'm not a Net fan), but here are some facts. TW was the 11th pick in 2009 and played 78 games and averaged over 22 minutes. Avery Johnson becomes the coach in early June the next year.

Summer league, training camp, preseason games, 10 games in the regular season and then TW was traded to Houston. To say, "Terrence Williams only played in 10 games under Avery Johnson ..." minimalizes their actual time together and doesn't really add anything. Thanks for trying, I guess.

A Houston fan said he was pissed that Houston wasted a first round pick on him (in the trade).

welcome to the NIGHTMARE!

This is the most frustrating player i’ve ever seen in the NBA. You can root for him, but every time he’s on the court all you think is “jesus don’t F*** this up…..” and then he does and you think “well, maybe next time”, and that happens EVERY TIME HE PLAYS! Then he bitches about it on twitter after he had a 6 TO and 3 foul game where he played 8 minutes. #WORDAPPPPPPPPPP .

He goes on to say,

please pardon my harbored rage

im still pissed the rockets gave up a first rounder for him

A Sacto fan said:

You guys will love him

I am a Kings fan and I had the opportunity to watch him for the end of last season. Based off all the interviews and from what I have heard about him on Kings broadcasts, he has clearly shaken the “knucklehead” personality that some describe him with. He is clearly focused now. He is very likable on the court, if he gets substantial playing time and gets comfortable he will immediately become a fan fave.

When it comes to on the court ,He was easily one of the top 5 players on the team. He often played during crunch time as well.

I was looking forward to see the Kings resign him, but with the signing of Aaron Brooks, Thomas Robinson, the trade for James Johnson, and the cheap Maloofs unwilling to go over the salary cap, it never happened. He still has a lot of potential. Hopefully a veteran organization like the Celtics can actually tap into that. Although I’m a Kings fan, I understand that our organization isn’t exactly “elite”.

So, from the begining of his NBA career to the end of last season, perhaps he has learned to get along better.

gyso

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 am

An excerpt from a Herald article by Steve Bulpett. I didn't realize that Terrence Williams was one of the players that was working out with the Celtics players in Waltham before camp. Looks like he made a good impression and it paid off...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/jason_terry_terrence_williams_can_help_at_guard

DENVER — To hear Jason Terry talk about him, the Celtics aren’t getting a run-of-the-mill, 10-day guy in Terrence Williams, a fellow Seattle native.

“I know him well,” Terry said of the 6-foot-6, 220-pound guard, who is expected to be signed to a 10-day contract. “He’s one of the young kids who grew up in that area that had tremendous talent. He’s a freakish athlete. When you talk about athleticism, he’s right there with LeBron (James) and (Kevin) Durant and these guys that are high flyers. He’s right up there with him.

“He’s very athletic, can handle the ball. He’s highly skilled. It’s just been a matter of him getting on the right team, surrounded by veterans that he can learn from. I believe he can definitely help us.”

Williams, the 11th overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Louisville, has bounced around from New Jersey to Houston to Sacramento. He spent 10 days working out at the Celtics facility last September but couldn’t crack a tight roster. When he was cut by Detroit a month later, Williams went to China.

The major knock on him in the NBA has been his attitude and approach to the game, but Terry believes Williams can get past that with the Celts.

“The places he’s been (New Jersey, Houston, Sacramento), there weren’t any veterans like Kevin Garnett, myself or Paul (Pierce) to kind of mentor him and bring him along,” he said. “I think with that type of leadership around him, he’s going to flourish.

“We’re hoping he sticks. He was training with us in September and he played well. I think it was just a numbers game at the time. I thought from being around him then that he had turned the corner as far as his attitude and his mental approach.

“He looks up to me, and I’ve already spoken to him prior to them getting to the agreement on the 10-day (contract),” Terry added. “I think he’s willing and ready to work, and I just want to get out on the court with him. I know it’s going to be fun. He’s that type of player.”

Doc Rivers didn’t have much to say about Williams, but speaking about his work in Waltham five months ago, he noted, “He’s been in the league. That’s what impressed me, and you can see that. We were just looking for anybody who we thought could fit us the best, either offensively or defensively.”

The Celts have looked at some available smaller guards, but they were wary of pairing another such player with Terry.

“They needed a bigger, strong guard,” Terry said. “(Williams) fits that bill.”

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm

BobH,

Just from the look of his body type, I'd welcome him on board just to watch him play Captain Crunch with Dwayne Wade for a while.

Sam

sam
Admin

http://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm

sam wrote:BobH,

Just from the look of his body type, I'd welcome him on board just to watch him play Captain Crunch with Dwayne Wade for a while.

Sam

sam,

DWade - 6'4", 220# (I thought he was 6'3". Must have gotten new Air Jordans and "grew" an inch)
Terrence Williams - 6'6", 220#, 6'9" wingspan.

One thing I noticed is that, when he was in college, his ft% was about 60% or so, then he was with the Nets (lottery pick #11) and in D-league and with the Rockets and his ft% went up to 70-80% and then in his second incarnation with the Nets and Sacto he was back down to 50-60%. He has a rep for making bad decisions and people question his IQ. Judging from his yo-yo ft% and his poor 2pt fg%, I'd say 90% of his problems are mental while only half of them are physical. Physically, he's supposed to be something else. Pitino called him "freakishly athletic". Read the strengths/weaknesses down the left side and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/terrence-williams-507/stats/

bob

bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi - There was one report out today from Twitter that said that the Celtics might consider waiving Leondro Barbosa. Have you seen this or any other reports like it?

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Hi - There was one report out today from Twitter that said that the Celtics might consider waiving Leondro Barbosa. Have you seen this or any other reports like it?

Rosalie

They would waive Barbosa if they need a roster spot.
There is no reason to keep him around since his contract expires at the end of the season.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:12 pm

So they would be able to resign him if he comes back healthy?? Stupid ? I know, but you guys are on top of all of this

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:04 pm

bob I saw him play on Nets, guy is wickedly athletic, thought he was a great pick and shocked he never found a role and stuck to a team. Good we got a big physical guard, if the light goes on we got lottery type talent.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Any truth to the rumor that Celts are trading our own Slippery Sam to New York in exchange for Peter Vescey and Carmelo Anthony? I think New York's getting the best of that deal.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm

worcester wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Celts are trading our own Slippery Sam to New York in exchange for Peter Vescey and Carmelo Anthony? I think New York's getting the best of that deal.

W, I think this rumor is based on truth, as I heard the same at the water cooler today at work. I'd hold off until they throw in a third round pick in the 2016 draft though.

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Bob, Your cheesecake sure looks good right about now.

worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 pm

W, I wish I had some myself. I only do the store bought variety as fixing a bowl of cereal taxes my culinary skills, so making my own is not an option.

However, we do have the best cheesecake east of the Mississippi here on this Forum with our very own Rosalie, and I can vouch for that! (All though with Matty moving east she may have a challenger)

bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:So they would be able to resign him if he comes back healthy?? Stupid ? I know, but you guys are on top of all of this

Rosalie

Barbosa can sign with any team that offers him a contract next season.
Since he tore his ACL and has MCL damage, odds are that he will miss training camp and the start of the regular season. It's the MCL damage which is the reason why he has to wait at least a month to get surgery.

tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Worcester, if the Celtics trade me, my first move is to retire. Besides, the Celts can use the bulk.

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sam on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm

The Celtics will be okay offensively as long as they move the ball

sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2