Outside
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Russell Jumps OVER a Player - Page 2 Empty Re: Russell Jumps OVER a Player

Post by Outside Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Sam,

Thanks for your post. You've obviously done a great job creating a place for us to congregate and in encouraging and enforcing a respectful tone by everyone here. I appreciate your efforts immensely, as I spent quite a bit of time trying out various venues for basketball discussions and haven't found anything close to the knowledge and atmosphere displayed here.

TJ's initial post on this thread apparently struck a negative chord with some on the board. Having re-read it, I still don't get that impression, but you and others did. Regardless of any difference of opinion we may have about that particular post, I don't for a minute doubt your motives in cautioning TJ. You want to keep those brush fires from starting, have a keen eye for what might be a problem, and work diligently to prevent them. I have no problem whatsoever deferring to your judgment on the matter.

Although I'm not privy to all that you do, I am aware that you read every post on every thread and spend considerable time and energy making this board the place that it is. I'm sure it too often seems like a thankless job, and it's true that you and the other administrators who make this board work don't receive enough thank-yous. In my case, although you don't hear me express it often enough, I am deeply grateful for what you've done to create this place and the balancing act you perform of keeping the tone civil and respectful. Thank you.

It was never my intention to encroach on your territory as a moderator of behavior on the board. I thought TJ's point was valid and didn't think his posts were inflammatory, so I didn't think it was any problem to say so. It was certainly nothing personal against MrKleen, because I respect his knowledge and insights highly. If I stepped into your territory as moderator with what I posted, I apologize. I'd love to say it won't happen again, but I have a combination of ethical sensitivity, forcefulness, confidence in my ability to write calmly and rationally, and cluelessness that practically ensures that I'll do some such thing again. But I'll do my best to avoid it.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Upon further review, I think TJ's point that the video may be fake is a valid conjecture. However, raising it in bold right from the jump is somewhat insensitive. I can get over it. I did get over it. No big deal. But it was somewhat insensitive.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm

When I first started posting on this forum I had an almost immediate dustup with TJ. I took my recent BDC experience and went after this "evilfakertroll". I got called on the carpet for it and informed that this was a board for conviviality. This experience has contributed greatly to the number of posts now visible under my foto. From time to time TJ would comment on somthing I had written but I would never respond. I have wanted to but I didn't. The reason I didn't was because I didn't want to disrupt that prized conviviality no matter what was being said that I disagreed with. Over the years I have found a greater degree of self control over my postings as well as a greater tolerance of posts from people I would disagree with. I still don't like TJ's presence here. Just as I don't like fans of other teams who post here and by doing so disrupts the feeling of camaraderie of Celtics fans. But honestly, I've seen many more posts that I would object to from so called Celtic fans than those from people like TJ. I will work more on my tolerance and patience, always trying to reflect before I hit send.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Such good advice Mulcogiseng. Tolerance is healing most to the person doing the tolerating.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Outside, thanks for
the kudos. From now on, you're allowed to address me as "Saint Sam." (LOL) I''m sure that this was all a matter of mountains and molehills compounded by diverse interpretations, but I trust everyone will emerge unscathed. Hey, we got a decently sized thread out of it.

TJ, I appreciate your contributions all the more with the knowledge that you're on the road so much. I'm familiar with that syndrome (thankfully not
now), and it can get old in a hurry.

As for the video, you saw that I'm only 70% convinced that it's not doctored. I like to think that whether or not Russ was capable of such a feat is of little import because Russ wouldn't have done it to showboat.

Far more impressive (and, in my opinion, the greatest single play in NBA history) was the so-called "Coleman play," in which Russ' own momentum, after a shot, carried him out of bounds; a long inbound pass caught St. Louis' Jack Coleman in stride at center court; and Russ simply materialized to block the shot and prevent the Hawks from winning Game 7 of the 1956-57 Finals in regulation. I believe I'm correct when I say that Russ then sprinted the length of the court to score the game-tying basket. And the Celtics went on to win in double overtime.

Not only was that an extraordinary play, but it also represented a springboard to the Tyranny that would follow. I would love to have a video of that play. The closest I've come is the video of Russ doing something similar to Jerry West (although I don’t know how far behind West that Russ was at the beginning of his charge):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfY6_wfqjxk Block shown at the 2:58 mark.

I've been trying vainly to identify the date of the Russell-West clip. It was certainly in Boston. I believe I see Sam Jones sitting next to Jim Loscutoff on the Celtics bench. That, plus the fact that Russ appears clean-shaven, plus the presence of West in the league, would probably put the date somewhere between 1961 and 1962.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Sam, I've heard about the Russel Coleman play since I was nine. Maybe I even watched it on my 12" Philco B&W TV. jeff Green did something this month taht reminded me of that. Remember the two plays where he dunked and then raced back to block a shot at the back\board? Or something like that.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm

W, I wom't be surprised if Jeff become a genuine defensive stopper. He easily possesses the athleticism, and his defensive positioning improves game by game. I think the Celtics are fortunate to have him (and vice versa).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:40 am

Wilt Chamberlain Archive??

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 am

Sam, agreed. Boston is a good home for Jeff. He loves it here and appreciates how the Celts treated him during his recovery.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 am

W,

I think we'd all have to agree that Jeff has responded to a major challenge this season; and, in so doing, he has elevated his game considerably. My hope for him is that, as he increasingly assumes the mantle of go-to guy, he'll ratchet his game up a couple more notches

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2