swedeinestonia
mrkleen09
dboss
gyso
Sam
jeb
10 posters

Go down

Oden   that poor dude. Empty Oden that poor dude.

Post by jeb Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:59 am

Watching him play in college for a year granted I thought he would be a big time force on d in the nba for a long time. Poor kid. Geeze.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Oden   that poor dude. Empty Re: Oden that poor dude.

Post by Sam Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:31 am

That's a heartbreaking part of the game. The pro game has been nothing but a roller coaster ride for Greg—and more down than up. Here's wishing him all the best with what's sure to be yet another ordeal.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:23 am

Here's a link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqGC19NRKbjnnscINDPTUcY5nYcB?slug=ap-trailblazers-odeninjured&prov=ap&type=lgns

Portland center Greg Oden will likely miss the rest of the season after fracturing his left knee cap Saturday night in the Trail Blazers’ victory over the Houston Rockets.

I really don't know, but perhaps coming back from a fracture may be easier than coming back from major knee surgery. Still, it has to be frustrating for all parties involved.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 am

This is the guy everyone drooled over before the draft and now he looks like the reincarnation of Sam Bowie.

He seems like a really good kid and I sure hope that he can get over this latest setback. This incident again reminds me about fate. I have been posting about fate as of late!

We did not get him in the draft or Kevin Durant but the result ended up being a team that won a championship and is in the mix for another. It tells us that in life it is impossible to see around the corner. It also tells us that disappointments can often give rise to exhilaration. Was the hoop god watching out for the Celtics?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 am

Do you guys think that people that get injured frequently simply suffer from bad luck - or do you think they are partly to blame in terms of their conditioning, commitment to their vocation etc?

Oden seems to work hard to be in shape etc - but I have to wonder when you see guys like Ray Allen who make a real commitment to staying in shape, eating right etc.....never really getting hurt.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:41 am

You can do a lot with preparing yourself through conditioning and such but some people are just more prone to injuries.

This is going to be partially dependent on how they are built physically but also their playing style.

You can do your best to improve the odds through correct conditioning but sometimes you just have a "less than optimal" body to work with, no matter what you do.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:13 pm

There have to be some players (just like some people) who have certain mannerisms or habits that create poor body mechanics or otherwise predispose them to injury. For example, I wonder if a player with very big feet is more likely to step on the feet of other players and roll an ankle. But, as I understand the news reports, this was a collision, which would seem to be the luck of the draw.

Still, isn't this Oden's third major injury (including the one that left him shooting free throws with his "off" hand in college) in the last four years? Anyway, I hope it's his last one.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:10 pm

My take on injuries.

When you are playing all out fearless ball you will not get hurt. If you are thinking of an injury or getting hurt and playing tenative you will get hurt.

I think it is a law of attraction type deal. I have broken more bones than evel knievel and have seen this to be true.

My heart goes out to the kid. He seems like a gem.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 pm

One truth about knee injuries in particular is that the human knee was not made for the beating most sports put on it. This was told to me as I was being wheeled in for my second major knee surgery, and from discussions I've had has been told to many others by doctors holding less than ideal x-rays.

Many other parts of the body can be conditioned, or at least areas around them can be developed to alleviate the strain. Not so with the knee.

A break of any type has only one type of prevention; don't break it.

You have to feel sorry for guys like Oden. I hope he comes back strong.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by ExistentialParquet Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:03 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Do you guys think that people that get injured frequently simply suffer from bad luck - or do you think they are partly to blame in terms of their conditioning, commitment to their vocation etc?

Other than drinking some milk there isn't much you can do to condition bones.

ExistentialParquet

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:45 am

ExistentialParquet wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:Do you guys think that people that get injured frequently simply suffer from bad luck - or do you think they are partly to blame in terms of their conditioning, commitment to their vocation etc?

Oden has had a lot more than "bone" injuries.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by ExistentialParquet Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 am

mrkleen09 wrote:

Oden has had a lot more than "bone" injuries.

I believe one leg might also be longer than another. This last one is a bone injury for sure.

ExistentialParquet

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 am

X-parquet,

Nice to see you posting here, and welcome to our little green corner of the world.

I think you get a Tommy Point for the above quote.

Regards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Jsh0S9Qoo
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:36 am

Parquet, let me add my greetings.

Do you have any tips as to what to do when you drink so much milk you get calcium deposits that stiffen you up in the wrong places?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:14 pm

It has to be the team!!! Does anyone remember Sam Bowie????? Bill Walton and is numerous foot injuries, etc, etc, etc. Now Oden. Man, I would never want to be a big man and be drafted by that team! Talk about jinxed!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Maybe the Trail Blazers needs a new training staff? I believe they have 6 players out, 3 of which are starters. Heck, even their coach is injured!! Don't drink the water in Portland!
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:24 pm

A good conditioning coach can definitely make a BIG difference.

Weight lifting can help with bone density but only so much.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down