What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball?

+6
LACELTFAN
ExistentialParquet
jeb
Outside
bobc33
Sam
10 posters

Go down

What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball? Empty What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball?

Post by Sam Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:27 pm

It could be the most creative play, the most creative move, the most creative strategy...whatever.

For me, it was the first time I saw Bob Cousy's air dribble. An outlet pass was coming his way, and an opponent anticipated the pass and bore down on Cousy. The other player and the ball would arrive at the same instant. No time or space to reach out and catch the ball. So The Cooz just tipped it over the onrushing guy's head, sidestepped the guy, and picked up the floor dribble on the other side. The crowd went wild, and it was obviously instinctive genius in action. I'd never seen him (or anyone) do that before. But that was just the tip of the iceberg.

A few days later, I was at another game, and the same thing happened, but this time TWO opposing players came at Cousy, one a couple of paces behind the other. Cooz tipped the ball over the first guy, sidestepped him, tipped the ball over the second guy, sidestepped him, and picked up the floor dribble on the other side.

For me the height of basketball creativity is inventing moves in the course of the action and in response to the flow of the game. For me, that was the pinnacle. He continued doing it occasionally enough so that someone eventually called it his "air dribble."

I'd like to read your selection of the most creative episode you've seen on the court.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball? Empty Re: What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball?

Post by bobc33 Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Sam,

Nice post. Can I have two that equally count as "most creative?" Well I'll choose this one as the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42c470-MjM

Back to top Go down

What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball? Empty Re: What's the Most Creative Moment You've Seen in Pro Basketball?

Post by Outside Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Interesting question that really got me thinking. I like BobC's post. Creative way to deal with Rodman overplaying Bird. I also like it because it's a play involving multiple people rather than an individual player doing some wizardry with the ball.

Unfortunately, for the NBA, all I can think of at the moment is individual wizardry, and the players that come to mind for me are Elgin Baylor and Pete Maravich. Sadly, there isn't much video footage of Baylor on YouTube, but there's fortunately lots of Maravich, so I'll go with him, and since this is a Celtic board, I'll go with the Red on Roundball segment that has Maravich demonstrating passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ruz5VkBt0Q

The part I'm referring to in particular starts about 2:15 into the video. It's Pete's "wrist pass." It's an amazing piece of misdirection, and I don't remember seeing anyone else do it.

Now I'm going to cheat and mention the first thing that actually popped into my head when I read Sam's question, although it doesn't qualify because it wasn't a pro game. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it was when I was playing in college, and there were some kids (middle school age, I think) playing before us. I have no idea why, since that shouldn't normally happen. Anyway, they were having their halftime meeting in the locker room while we were getting dressed and taped up before the game, and the coach told them that if they got an out-of-bounds play under their own basket, he wanted one player (let's say Johnny) to take out the ball, then after the ref gives him the ball, he wanted Johnny to say, "hey Jimmy, you take the ball out." Then as Jimmy walks casually toward Johnny, Johnny passes him the ball and Jimmy scores a layup. I started cracking up, and the coach looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "hey, we're getting beat by 20. I gotta try something." He just thought it up on the spur of the moment out of desperation, and I loved it. I have no idea if they got a chance to try it or if it worked.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Outside wrote:Interesting question that really got me thinking. I like BobC's post. Creative way to deal with Rodman overplaying Bird. I also like it because it's a play involving multiple people rather than an individual player doing some wizardry with the ball.

Unfortunately, for the NBA, all I can think of at the moment is individual wizardry, and the players that come to mind for me are Elgin Baylor and Pete Maravich. Sadly, there isn't much video footage of Baylor on YouTube, but there's fortunately lots of Maravich, so I'll go with him, and since this is a Celtic board, I'll go with the Red on Roundball segment that has Maravich demonstrating passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ruz5VkBt0Q

The part I'm referring to in particular starts about 2:15 into the video. It's Pete's "wrist pass." It's an amazing piece of misdirection, and I don't remember seeing anyone else do it.

Now I'm going to cheat and mention the first thing that actually popped into my head when I read Sam's question, although it doesn't qualify because it wasn't a pro game. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it was when I was playing in college, and there were some kids (middle school age, I think) playing before us. I have no idea why, since that shouldn't normally happen. Anyway, they were having their halftime meeting in the locker room while we were getting dressed and taped up before the game, and the coach told them that if they got an out-of-bounds play under their own basket, he wanted one player (let's say Johnny) to take out the ball, then after the ref gives him the ball, he wanted Johnny to say, "hey Jimmy, you take the ball out." Then as Jimmy walks casually toward Johnny, Johnny passes him the ball and Jimmy scores a layup. I started cracking up, and the coach looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "hey, we're getting beat by 20. I gotta try something." He just thought it up on the spur of the moment out of desperation, and I loved it. I have no idea if they got a chance to try it or if it worked.

Outside

Outside,

I had to change my avatar after reading your post and watching the clip. Pete was some kind of showman!
And Sam knows I'm not slighting the Couz as many of my avatars are of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 pm

scott Skiles threw a behind the back fake and then behind the back for real in one motion that was the most beautiful pass I've ever seen. I think he was still at michigan state.

Bird threw some interior touch passes that took my breath.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by ExistentialParquet Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:30 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Vq-DO86RE

I have to say I watched this live and was baffled in real time. Creative but not practical obviously.

ExistentialParquet

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:27 am

I don't know if this qualifies for most creative and it's very recent in the scheme of things but the play that KG made against Odom, game 6, 2008 finals has stuck with me. It was certainly very athletic and the way he hung there with Odom draped all over him and just kissed it off the glass...and yet it was a dagger through the Laker heart...simply a piece of art.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctPWK0hWCAI

skiles pass. blurry but there.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by carpecarpium Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:37 am

I wasn't around to see the Cooz but I did see that DJ off the backboard pass to Bird. I laughed out loud when that happened.

DJ and Bird had some kind of telepathy, didn't they? It seemed like a couple of times a game if Bird even sensed his man turning his head to find the ball he'd instantly cut to the basket and DJ would throw a bullet pass that grazed the defender's ear to Bird for a layup.

The split second timing was just sheer poetry. The Rondo to KG alley-oop reminds me of the DJ to Bird backdoor cut.

Many of the most creative plays I've seen came from Bird. One favorite was in the '86 playoffs when Bird threw a bounce pass between Jack Sikma's legs to McHale for a dunk. Another was in a game agaqinst the Warriors when Joe Barry Carroll doubled Bird in the corner. Bird was smothered. So he shoved his hand between Carrol's legs in what looked like a lewd assault--ball grazing balls-- and shoveled the pass to Parish for a dunk.

carpecarpium

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Outside,

I wonder how Henry Bibby felt being used as a prop by Maravich?

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:08 pm

There was one play where DJ had the ball on top, Bird was in one corner and Maxwell was in the other. Bird flashed across the lane from left to right, about halfway between basket and foul line. Maxwell flashes along the baseline from right to left on a delay (Bird started first). DJ lobs the ball into Bird, who has to jump to get it. Without coming down with the ball or looking around, Bird flicks the ball over his left shoulder to Max. Max ended up missing the bunny, but that's not the point. The amazing court awareness of Larry Bird was on full display there.

Also, I remember watching an Atlanta Hawks game. Maravich was coming down the right wing with the ball. Lou Hudson came down the left wing early and was running through the lane under the basket. Maravich had to be 24-25 feet away. Maravich curled right, so he was facing the sideline and slowed down. So did his man and everybody thought the break was over. Maravich then whips a no-look pass, like a bullet, to Hudson underneath for a layup.

Looking and facing right, passing left, fired like out of a pistol (well, it was "The Pistol" doing it), 25' away right into Hudson's hands on a fly, while he was well guarded. It worked because Maravich lulled everybody into a false sense of security, except for Lou Hudson who knew Maravich better than that.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:32 pm

BobC, I appreciate the sentiment with the avatar, but man, those shorts look like hot pants.

BobH, Henry wasn't a very good pro, so he should've been thrilled.

I didn't want to go overboard with Maravich creative moments since Sam asked for a "moment," not "top 100 moments," but with BobH's story about the pass to Sweet Lou, now I can't help myself. Pete had this other pass he made that I haven't seen others do. When he wanted to make a long pass, he'd do this underhand, lofting-type pass that was uncannily effective. I think the advantage to it was that it was easier to catch than a baseball pass. The baseball pass is really more like a football pass in that it has to be right on the money and can be a hard pass to handle. Pete's lob pass dropped much more softly into his teammate's hands. Looks odd, nobody else does it, and it worked beautifully. That's Maravich.

Outside

Last edited by Outside on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Really great topic.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:12 pm

I found a Maravich "top ten" video. No. 9 and no. 3 are the underhand lob pass I talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDy8BqEuyE
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 pm

As opposed to the NFL, the NBA's most creative moments do NOT involve Sharpies, or cell phones!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:03 pm

I have one that didn't happen on the court and not even when the ball was in play. It was around 1968 during a game at the Garden. The referee (might have been Mendy Rudolph, but I'm not sure) made what the Celtics thought was an atrocious call against Sam Jones. Auerbach immediately called for a timeout and went storming out on the floor, screaming. The ref finally walked Red back to the sidelines...right over to where Sam was standing (still with the ball) and absolutely fuming.

So the Sam got into it again with the ref, and all of a sudden, the usually laid-back Sam just slammed the ball down on the floor, and it flew about 20 feet into the air. All of us in Section 88 just waited for the "T" boom to fall on Sam.

But Sam was nothing if not a quick thinker. As the ball descended, he caught it, shook it a little, pretended to be listening for something inside the ball, dribbled it really low three or four times, spun it in the air as he studied the spin intently, finally caught it again, handed it to the ref, said, "It's okay," and turned back out onto the floor.

And he got away with it.

Sam was also a master at the old high school trick of passing the ball to himself off an opponent whose back was turned on an out-of-bounds play under their offensive board.

In my jaded mind, something of that ilk was or is worth 50 Sports Center highlight dunks.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Sam wrote:I have one that didn't happen on the court and not even when the ball was in play. It was around 1968 during a game at the Garden. The referee (might have been Mendy Rudolph, but I'm not sure) made what the Celtics thought was an atrocious call against Sam Jones. Auerbach immediately called for a timeout and went storming out on the floor, screaming. The ref finally walked Red back to the sidelines...right over to where Sam was standing (still with the ball) and absolutely fuming.

So the Sam got into it again with the ref, and all of a sudden, the usually laid-back Sam just slammed the ball down on the floor, and it flew about 20 feet into the air. All of us in Section 88 just waited for the "T" boom to fall on Sam.

But Sam was nothing if not a quick thinker. As the ball descended, he caught it, shook it a little, pretended to be listening for something inside the ball, dribbled it really low three or four times, spun it in the air as he studied the spin intently, finally caught it again, handed it to the ref, said, "It's okay," and turned back out onto the floor.
Sam, Just a great story...LOL
And he got away with it.

Sam was also a master at the old high school trick of passing the ball to himself off an opponent whose back was turned on an out-of-bounds play under their offensive board.

In my jaded mind, something of that ilk was or is worth 50 Sports Center highlight dunks.

Sam
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Sam, just a great story....LOL
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Outside wrote:I found a Maravich "top ten" video. No. 9 and no. 3 are the underhand lob pass I talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDy8BqEuyE

outside,

Great find!!

Love the underhand passes you were talking about. Too bad it didn't include the play I remember.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:14 pm

As long as this is turning into an homage to Maravich (God, I love youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVnJeKX5OeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMhLsNsspG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o560u5yqc1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__k0_1QZSLM
(We should send this one to Rondo!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Qn4JjJ_vc
Larry Bird talking about Maravich

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 am

Could not top what Sam posted about BC but KG in the 6th game of the finals when he was being fouled. He was going down, he focused and shot and made the basket while being almost horizontal. That was pure focus and determination which in my mind broke the spirit of the Lakers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down