k_j_88
NYCelt
dboss
14 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2014 NBA Draft - Page 6 Empty Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by kdp59 Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

yeah..the Celtics are going to take Embiid at 6 (likely out most or all of the year) and Saric at 17 (won't see him for two years).

I think NOT!!

I mean do these sports (so-called) writers actually THINK about what they write/say?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:52 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nba-mock-draft--take-4-051318863.html

Marc Spears says the Celtics will be "ecstatic" if they get to draft Aaron Gordon. Really? Ecstatic? I haven't seen anyone on here drooling at that prospect. He seems like a fine (but flawed) player. Great athlete, terrific defender, limited offensively. I guess I'd be okay with it, but ecstatic?

I would've been ecstatic if we could be drafting in the top 3. 6? Not so much. And not so much for Gordon either. If we do draft him I hope he exceeds our expectations and develops a reliable offensive game, which, since he's young enough and raw enough, could happen. But I don't see him as a sure thing. And ecstatic is not a word that ever crossed my mind at the thought of getting him.

Would anybody here be "ecstatic" if it happened? Just curious.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:54 am

I like him a lot and think he will most likely be the pick.

with the roster we have now, we need athletic players, hard workers and high BB IQ types. Gordon checks all those marks.

I think his ceiling is a Dennis Rodman type defensive player and rebounder.

he's been compared to Shawn Marion by some also.

he's very young , so most likely has a lot of room to improve if he's a worker (which everyone says he is).

he could fit in nicely in a couple years with Sully and Kelly O up front.

I think Ainge likes him as well.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm

kdp59 wrote:I like him a lot and think he will most likely be the pick.

with the roster we have now, we need athletic players, hard workers and high BB IQ types. Gordon checks all those marks.

I think his ceiling is a Dennis Rodman type defensive player and rebounder.

he's been compared to Shawn Marion by some also.

he's very young , so most likely has a lot of room to improve  if he's a worker (which everyone says he is).

he could fit in nicely in a couple years with Sully and Kelly O up front.

I think Ainge likes him as well.

Here's the line that jumps out at me in this mock draft that has Gordon going 8th and Smart to us at 6:

"To be blunt, his jump shot is broken." That scares the Hell out of me when scoring was such a huge problem for us last year.

http://hoopshype.com/draft_2014.htm

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:01 pm

I understand that shooting/scoring isn't great, nor is he likely to ever be a go-to scorer in the NBA.

but IF he developes into the defensive player and rebounder that many think I think you take him.

Smart makes sense at 6 also, especialy IF Rondo is not expected to be here in two years.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:49 pm

kdp59 wrote:yeah..the Celtics are going to take Embiid at 6 (likely out most or all of the year) and Saric at 17 (won't see him for two years).

I think NOT!!

I mean do these sports (so-called) writers actually THINK about what they write/say?

kdp,

Assuming that the medical reports come back reasonably well for Embiid, I'd be just fine with taking him with 6 and Saric at 17. I don't look at Embiid for next year, I see him for the next 10 years. Saric is a super talent and a winner. He could be like another Croatian baller, Tony Kukoc, which would be just fine with me.

Let's also keep in mind another point. The reports are that Saric has agreed in principle for a 2 year deal, 3rd year player option with a Turkish team. They do NOT say he has signed it. For all we know, the rumors about him wanting to go to Boston or LAL are true and, since he was never showing above 9th in any draft, he has Plan B in place and, if he drops to 17 and we take him he doesn't sign the contract with the Turks after all.

Yeah, I know that's a lot of wishful thinking but the facts are the facts and the facts are that he has not actually signed anything with anybody yet. When he does, then it's a fact that he's not playing in the NBA for at least 2 years (assuming the Turks won't let him get bought out early). Until then, though, it's just more blah blah we've been hearing for the past week or two about just about every prospect. EVERYBODY is gaming; agents, players, GMs. Everybody.

And the draft is Thursday. Maybe he's planning to sign the contract with the Turks on Friday, he'll know where he's drafted first and that effects his decision to actually go through with it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:04 pm

I was assuming Saric had signed his deal and won't be availible for two full years.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Bob,

Saric already signed the contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2106617-dario-saric-to-anadolu-efes-latest-reported-contract-details-and-reaction

Updates from Tuesday, June 24

E. Carchia of Sportando reports Dario Saric to Anadolu Efes is official:

Dario Saric officially signed a 2+1 contract with Anadolu Efes Istanbul.

The Croatian rising star comes from Cibona Zagreb where he has played since the season 2012-2013.

Saric will not go the NBA for the next two years but he will be in this week's NBA Draft.

Original Text

The landscape of the 2014 NBA draft may have just shifted. Forward Dario Saric—a favorite to be a lottery pick—reportedly has signed a three-year contract with Anadolu Efes, a Turkish professional basketball team based in the City of Istanbul, according to Chad Ford of ESPN.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:43 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

Saric already signed the contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2106617-dario-saric-to-anadolu-efes-latest-reported-contract-details-and-reaction

Updates from Tuesday, June 24

E. Carchia of Sportando reports Dario Saric to Anadolu Efes is official:

Dario Saric officially signed a 2+1 contract with Anadolu Efes Istanbul.

The Croatian rising star comes from Cibona Zagreb where he has played since the season 2012-2013.

Saric will not go the NBA for the next two years but he will be in this week's NBA Draft.

Original Text

The landscape of the 2014 NBA draft may have just shifted. Forward Dario Saric—a favorite to be a lottery pick—reportedly has signed a three-year contract with Anadolu Efes, a Turkish professional basketball team based in the City of Istanbul, according to Chad Ford of ESPN.

Now it's a fact.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Isn't Saric some form of deadly gas?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:49 am

kdp59 wrote:yeah..the Celtics are going to take Embiid at 6 (likely out most or all of the year) and Saric at 17 (won't see him for two years).

I think NOT!!

kdp,

For what it's worth, here's one of those (so-called) sports writer's opinion from the Celtics Mailbag.  Normally I think Forsberg is a step up on the "trite" ladder from Blakely but I agree with his reasoning here.  The logical key to making this fall into place in my head is the belief that Danny isn't thinking next year, he's thinking next 3-5 years.  That's why he traded for Brooklyn's picks out to 2018.  As we get closer to the 2016 and 2018 drafts those picks gain value (ESPECIALLY if Brooklyn implodes as is expected). Their gain in value translates into better trades for us. A two year rebuild is really damn good, next year would be Year 2 and I don't think we're going to do it, Kevin Love and Omer Asik or no Kevin Love and Omer Asik, so why not look at the bigger, longer picture?  A 3-5 year rebuild isn't fun but it's not an unrealistic scenario.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4713477/lots-of-balls-in-the-air-for-cs

Q: How comfortable would Danny Ainge be in drafting Joel Embiid and Dario Saric, knowing neither would potentially contribute for years? I know he's a risk-taker, but those picks would all but guarantee at least another lean year and a Rondo trade/walk. -- @theREALMikeDunn (via Twitter)

A: I don't think the Celtics fear patience. The goal of any rebuilding process is to avoid enduring that phase again for as long as possible. If tolerating another lean year (or two) means that Boston is a sustained contender for the decade that follows, is it worthwhile? Every team wants to accelerate the rebuilding process, but there's a danger in being shortsighted.

Here's how I look at it: If I said a week ago that the Celtics had the potential to emerge from the draft with Embiid and Saric, most fans would have been turning cartwheels. And to do it without having to sacrifice any of the team's future draft pick surplus would have seemed like larceny.

If -- and it's definitely a bit if -- the team is satisfied with what it can uncover about Embiid's medical situation, it's hard to imagine they'd pass up the opportunity to add a franchise-caliber center. And if that happens, it makes waiting to bring over a skilled European forward that much easier. I still think both guys might be off the board before Boston has a shot at them, but I don't think the team would mind the opportunity to make those decisions.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Who knows what will happen if certain players are added?  The mistake many make is in trying to guess how much impact an acquired player will make personally.  What may be more important is the impact he could make on the quality of his teammates' play.  And that can't be evaluated until we see them play together.  There's no better example than as if the Celtics acquired Asik.  I believe (but can't guarantee) that he'd have more impact on his teammates' defense than Gortat would.  And the reverse is probably true of Gortat on offense.  But, in neither case, can we predict the level or rapidity of either type of impact.

That's why I think specifying a number of years for the redevelopment of the Celtics is ill-advised.  There are many factors that could change the formula dramatically in a short span of time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Dante Exum refused to work out for the Cavaliers.

Talk about freaking arrogance.  Yeah, I know it's the Mistake On The Lake, but they have the #1 pick AND you never know what else is happening.  For all the Aussie Asshole knows Cleveland is planning on trading Kyrie Irving.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO
Follow
Interesting note to Dion Waiters talk: Source close to Waiters tells @FOXSportsOH that Waiters thinks he or Kyrie Irving will be traded.
5:53 PM - 23 Jun 2014

Right now, it's looking like it will be Waiters, but if Exum had worked out for the Cavs and they liked him, then maybe it would be Irving.  Irving is a super talent but he only has 2 years left on his contract, the 2nd one he'll get a qualifying offer.  That's a steal for his impact but he's going to get a BIG contract next time.  Cavs might be looking to bring in a new PG on a cheap rookie contract and trade Irving to Miami for LBJ in a sign-and-trade. Or keep Irving and Exum for this year but trade Irving next year when he's a restricted free agent and the bids come in high.  You never know.

Exum has Rob Pelinka for an agent.  His clients include Kobe, Boozer, Harden, Wallace, Dion Waiters and Drummond. Anybody who can get Kobe Bryant a $50M contract when he's 35 years old, coming off of Achilles surgery and hasn't shown he's back yet is no dummy.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:38 pm

I hope you're right about Embiid, NYCelt.  For Joel's sake and for Danny's if he takes the risk and gives up additional assets to get Embiid.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next