Q&A: Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism

+2
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Q&A:  Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism Empty Q&A: Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:15 pm

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/qa-jeff-green-on-swagger-ignoring-criticism/

Home / NBA / Q&A: Jeff Green on Swagger, Ignoring Criticism
Q&A: Jeff Green on Swagger, Ignoring Criticism
By Jessica Camerato | Senior NBA Writer

Updated: April 18, 2014

Jeff Green has seen it all, heard it all, read it all. He knows the criticisms are out there and doesn’t expect them to stop. His four-year, $36 million contract signed in 2012 led to high expectations and the departure of Paul Pierce last summer presented the opportunity for him to step into a leading role on the Boston Celtics.

He finished the season as the team’s top scorer (16.9 points per game). Green demonstrated moments of dominating athleticism and proved he could take over a game. But the fact that he didn’t do it night in and night out has become a hot topic.

Green doesn’t live in a bubble nor is he naïve to the judgments made about him. Rather than taking them all in, he has chosen to look past them. People have had plenty to say about Green, and as the 2013-14 season came to a close for him and the Celtics, this is what he had to say in his own words.

Basketball Insiders: Basketball-wise, what do you hope to accomplish this offseason?
Jeff Green: Just growing in all areas. I think I’ve touched on a lot this year as far as new things that I figure I can do with the group we have and what (Celtics head coach) Brad (Stevens) is looking for. I’ll try to review film as I take time to rest my body and try to jot down things where I can improve. There’s a couple areas that I feel like I can improve in and that I will improve in. It’s going to be a good summer, a fun summer.

BI: Which areas do you want to improve?
JG: Pick-and-rolls, the low post, get better in the low post, three-point consistency, I think that’s a big thing. Pretty much everything.

BI: You’re a person whose name has been in the headlines a lot because of your contract. How have you dealt with that and stayed focused this season?
JG: I ignore it. I think that comes with being one of those guys who are one, being one of the top guys and two, getting paid as much as I do. I think it just comes with the territory. I ignore it, first and foremost, because people are going to always have something negative to say. I put that behind me and I let them continue to talk. You know, there’s nothing I can do about it. Whatever they have to say, they can continue to say because it’s not going to bother me.

BI: Who taught you how to block all that out?
JG: I think that just came over time. I think Coach Thompson (Georgetown University men’s basketball head coach John Thompson III) played a big part in that because of what we developed and how we grew that program back to the way it was. People are always going to have something negative to say, and I think he taught me how to have a short term memory. Also my first couple of years, the way we played as far as the losing that we went through, having (to be) cold blooded and (ignore) what people say, I think I kind of learned that over time. The vets that I’ve had taught me also how to have a short-term memory.

BI: You are very active on Instagram and Twitter so you’re seeing it. It’s literally in front of you –
JG: Like I said, I don’t mind it. There’s always going to someone, no matter how good you are, no matter how great you are in life, there’s always going to be that one person that dislikes what you do and what you represent. You can’t control that. It’s just something that you have to try to look past because I can’t control what somebody says.

BI: What do you think when people take your attitude as, ‘He doesn’t care’ because you brush it off?
JG: That I don’t care. Like I said, I can’t control what people say. People are always going to have their opinion of how I should live, but it’s my life. People hate on what I do, but again, it’s my life. I saw this great quote, ‘Why hate on somebody when you have the same 24 hours that they do?’ That’s something that when I saw it, it hit hard because it was like, that’s true. Why would somebody hate on me when I wake up just like they do and I go about my day just like they do? And I chose the path I chose.

BI: How much does everything you went through with your health play into this? (Green underwent heart surgery due to an aortic aneurysm and missed the entire 2011-12 season.)
JG: You can’t take things like that too seriously. Life’s too short for me to sit here and go back and forth with somebody who’s angry because I didn’t score 30 points tonight or I didn’t have x-y-z. It’s pointless for me to go back and forth with somebody like that because one, I don’t know what they’re going through and two, I’m living a great life, I’m blessed. I’ve been through a lot and I’m here today still breathing. So there’s no reason for me to go back and forth with somebody like that.

BI: Did you have this same outlook before you went through your health scare?
JG: Yeah, I’ve always been happy go lucky. I’ve always had a positive attitude toward everything. I’ve never let people get in the way of that.

BI: Next season when you come back, what should we expect to see from Jeff Green?
JG: I was talking to Avery (Bradley) about this. I feel like I should come back with a little bit more swagger. Not having an attitude towards people or going out there getting technical fouls, but just having a little swagger to my game. I’m so even keeled that, once again, people take it that I don’t care about situations, but that’s just my demeanor. So Avery was telling me I should have a little swagger. Gerald (Wallace), too. I think that’s probably the biggest thing that I might try to change. I don’t know how it’s going to change overnight, but hopefully.

BI: What do you think swagger would add to your game?
JG: I think it’d just add confidence, continued confidence, for me go out there and just play every night the way I know how to play. Still not care about what people have to say, but they will hate it that much more, which will fuel me a little bit more.

BI: Do you like that people hate on you?
JG: Yes, I love it. I don’t mind it. I don’t mind it at all.

BI: You’re smiling …
JG: Exactly. I love when people say something negative or they have something to say about what I do and how I live because I’ve worked hard to get here, it wasn’t easy. For them to sit here and critique and be mad about what I do, I enjoy it because I know what I had to get through to get here.

BI: What kind of adversity and negativity did you face growing up?
JG: Just the whole process I was going through, being a kid from a small town in Maryland, being able to go to Georgetown, get through Georgetown, make it to the NBA. But the people who are close to me know I haven’t changed. They know I’m still the same person I was when I was in high school. I know who I am and I’m comfortable with who I am. So for somebody to sit there and critique who I am behind a screen or a phone, behind my back, they don’t know me at all so I don’t pay any attention to it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Q&A:  Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism Empty Re: Q&A: Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:32 pm

bob with all due respect, who wants to read this crap? nobody cares

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Q&A:  Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism Empty Re: Q&A: Jeff Green On Swagger, Ignoring Criticism

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:58 pm

He is basically telling you that he heard you all talking, and, he does not care what you are saying.  Good for him.  It might be a good thing for him if he did get traded, go somewhere where the criticism might stop.  It just doesn't seem as if a lot of Boston fans will ever give him a break.  Too bad Jeff, you were traded here and Perk left. These guys just can't get over that.

I see his faults, am not blind, but is also see a guy who has tried to
Work on them. Don't kid yourself for a minute, being a young guy and going through what he did is life altering. It is never that far from your mind.

As I said before and will say again, I am a Green fan, he is not Paul Pierce. I guess I see a lot of the same traits in him that I see in my son, and he is a well liked person. Give it a thought.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:He is basically telling you that he heard you all talking, and, he does not care what you are saying.  Good for him.  It might be a good thing for him if he did get traded, go somewhere where the criticism might stop.  It just doesn't seem as if a lot of Boston fans will ever give him a break.  Too bad Jeff, you were traded here and Perk left. These guys just can't get over that.

I see his faults, am not blind, but is also see a guy who has tried to
Work on them. Don't kid yourself for a minute, being a young guy and going through what he did is life altering. It is never that far from your mind.

As I said before and will say again, I am a Green fan, he is not Paul Pierce. I guess I see a lot of the same traits in him that I see in my son, and he is a well liked person.  Give it a thought.

Rosalie

+1.

But hey, what's professional sports without a lightning rod for criticism.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Cow,

With all due respect, I certainly care!  Possibly because I've always been inordinately interested in the psychology of the game.

I've never really liked the term "swagger," which I associate with often-unwarranted, self-aggrandizing demeanor.  But, when Jeff talks about it, he seems to be using it as a synonym for "confidence."  And I believe confidence is just one step removed from the word I believe has been the most powerful compulsion of most of the truly potent teams in NBA history. 

That word is "insistence."  As in "insistence on winning," with no other outcome even remotely considered.  As perhaps best exemplified by John Havlicek, who came to the Celtics unheralded and overshadowed by Jerry Lucas at Ohio State.  He was quiet and humble when he joined the Celtics (and later as well).  But it didn't take him long to signify the compulsion that permeated so many shy guys who joined that team—people like Sam and K.C. Jones, Tom Sanders, and Frank Ramsey, to say nothing of Bill Russell.  That motivating spirit involved such an insistence on winning that it hardly paused long enough to recognize a swagger stage and even gave short shrift to a mere feeling of confidence.  And it led John Havlicek to say the words that would make a worthy epitaph for him or any player on any team: "Whenever we lost, we thought it was a mistake."  (As in a clerical error.)

And those entire early Celtics teams qualified as Professors Emeriti in spreading the word of a magical mental outlook that could be embraced by so many great players on so many great teams around the league.  In fact, Larry Joe Bird could easily be the poster boy.

So, when Jeff Green talks of "swagger," I don't expect he means it physically as much as an entree into the bosom of confidence that could develop into making him an eventual candidate for the doctrine of insistence (especially with the right team).  I wish him well; and, who knows; perhaps he might even obtain that post-graduate degree at Universitas Bostoniensis Celtici.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 pm

sorry Sam didn't read the article, don't you think its redundant, now I gotta read about his whatever, okay guess its important to some, his game speaks for itself, I didn't have time at the time, was cheering on 2 old warriors, at the time watching Nets.....I have one word the sums up Jeff Green, disappointing. I don't care to read a question and answer session about his thoughts.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:47 pm

How I read it is..........(Green) Hey I am doing my best and if I do not succeed well I did not succeed........soooooooo.......and if people want to hate me...........so be it, I am beyond that.

For me ...........112288.........it really does not bother me one way or another how he feels or how he goes about warding off negative criticism ........but it does tell me that he may be lacking a great deal of passion about if he succeeds or fails, or at the very least will not show his inner thoughts on his sleeve.

Sounds like he just wants to ride off into the sunset ............who knows.......
but it tells me that he just might not make any additional fans in Boston after that article and to help all parties concerned I hope he gets traded and we can be done with this whole fiasco of a trade that Danny originally pulled off.

He would probably fit in well living and playing in California where life is a little more laid back, and he can practice Zen or whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 pm

I thought one quote from Jeff really stood out:

"I’m so even keeled that, once again, people take it that I don’t care about situations, but that’s just my demeanor."

I didn't interpret this as him "not caring" or not wanting to put forth effort. I think it actually speaks for him in the context of growth as both a person and a player. If you took it as something else, I suppose that's fine as an opinion, but a bit short-sighted and not looking at the entire picture.

Judging by his comments (and yes I read the entire article), he seems to want to improve his game and become more of a dominant presence on the team. I would love to see that, and I think he is capable of it if he truly gives his all.

This year wasn't a great year for him, but I think it was a very valuable learning experience for him. He finally understands all of the pressures and responsibilities associated with being "the guy." I doubt Jeff truly understood it before this season because it was a new experience to him.

If Green is in fact traded, maybe he'll be appreciated more by those fans. Whatever happens, I wish him the best and I hope he succeeds.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Cow,

Maybe you can explain to me what the heck your first sentence means.  I have no idea what you think is redundant with what.

I understand that you've pretty much dismissed Jeff Green as a future Celtics impact player based on his play this season, and that's certainly your privilege.  But it doesn't mean nobody else cares about Jeff.

I've mentioned many times that the past is not the future, and things can change.  I care enough about Jeff to be interested in any information that supports the possibility he can improve next season (if he's still with the Celtics).  If the team changes significantly for the better next season, it's entirely possible that any "holdover" players—including Jeff—might be swept along with the progress and be better able to fulfill their roles.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Sam there was just some article that was headlined "Jeff Green can't do it by himself" which I actually read. It must have been just a day or 2 ago, in that article Green basically said he didn't know how hard it was to score in this league when your attempting to be the first option.....so I wasn't really in the mood to read another one, we get the idea, its tough, hes trying, hes a good person. This one he said some other things....whatever, is there gonna be another one tomorrow?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Cow,

Oh, so you're in agreement that there's a wide open gate for Jeff to improve next season.  You're just arguing against the fact that there are two articles on the same topic.  Fair enough.  And, yes, there will probably be more because there have already been multiple articles about Danny, Brad, the draft (rather ridiculous until we know the order of selection), Jeff, Rondo, Bradley, Sully, Kelly, Brandon, and Pressey.  (Sorry if I missed any; I may have been asleep when they surfaced.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down