Celtics Stat of the Day, 1/6/10

2 posters

Go down

Celtics Stat of the Day, 1/6/10 Empty Celtics Stat of the Day, 1/6/10

Post by Sam Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I'll be publishing the stat of the day less often in hopes that reduced frequency will attract more interest when the feature does appear.

In all the concern and dire predictions occasioned by a few injuries and several losses, there's one thing about the Celtics that may be flying under the radar. It seems that, at least in one respect, the offensive style of the team is evolving well before any of the Three Amigos has faded into memory.

The fact is that this team is scoring more in transition more than in the past.

I've done some comparisons involving the 2008-09 season and this season to-date. (I couldn't find fast break stats for the championship season. Perhaps someone else can come up with them.)

In 54.9% of the 82 games in 2008-09, the Celtics scored 11 or more fast break points.

In 68.5% of the 32 games in 2009-10, the Celtics have scored 11 or more fast break points.

Perhaps it's a coincidence, but one of the principal catalysts in this change would seem to be Tony Allen:
Before Tony played this season, the Celtics averaged 10.25 fast break points per game.

In the 12 games since Tony's return, the Celtics have averaged 16.25 fast break points per game.

I wouldn't call the trend dramatic, but it is certainly directionally interesting and will be interesting to watch. (The team's high water mark this season is 25 fast break points in a game.) But at this juncture, it seems that the Celtics may be honing the personnel to hit opponents with a distinct change of pace when the veteran starters are being rested.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtics Stat of the Day, 1/6/10 Empty Re: Celtics Stat of the Day, 1/6/10

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Sam,

We're not a "young, speedy" team, we're a "deliberate, veteran" team. If we can add a player that helps us get up and down the court faster, then that makes us even more dangerous.

I have felt for a while that Rondo's speed has been wasted on offense somewhat because there aren't any players that can run with him on the break. A healthy TA changes that dynamic and creates a coaching nightmare for the opposing coach. Drop your guards down to help stop Pierce/KG/Sheed/Shelden or stay with your man on top to prevent a fast break?

I've had availability issues, but when I'm able to get on this site, I love your analysis and stats. Thanks.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Bob,

As usual, your comments are always welcome. Hope you'll be around during our SFO party on 4/24/10.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down