RosalieTCeltics
worcester
k_j_88
sinus007
bobheckler
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Enough Is Enough:  LeBron James Is No Larry Bird Empty Enough Is Enough: LeBron James Is No Larry Bird

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:23 pm

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20140604207369

Enough is enough: LeBron James is no Larry Bird

Hosam Kateb

A little under a week ago, Mark Jackson was giving the play-by-play commentary during the Heat vs. Pacers game, and he made a comment that blew up all over social media. He said that LeBron James is the best small forward of all time. Once he said it, the world of Twitter was polarized beyond belief, some agreed with what Mark Jackson said, and some, myself included, found it nothing short of laughable. I ask a simple question: Is LeBron James really a better player than Larry Bird? The answer is clearly “no”.

I want to preface my comments by saying that I can’t stand the “X is a better player than Y” debate; it may be fun to talk about, but it serves little to no purpose whatsoever. However, I feel obligated to defend the legend that is Larry Bird by mentioning how disrespectful it is to even mention James in the same breathe as Bird. It’s not because I don’t believe LeBron is a good player, it’s because I believe Bird’s legacy is being tarnished by us being prisoners of the moment.

I am not going to deny that we are watching greatness take place when it comes to LeBron; he’s on his way to his fourth straight NBA Finals, with a chance to three-peat, but the circumstances that it took for him to get there shouldn’t be ignored. When LeBron was in Cleveland, everyone knew that he was the best player on the team by far, he carried a bunch of no-names to the NBA Finals, but he couldn’t get it done. He then went to Miami in the famed “Decision” and got to the finals again, this time against the Dallas Mavericks, who got to the finals in the most shocking of circumstances; by sweeping the two time reigning and defending NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers four games to nothing. What happened in that series was unbelievable, the underdogs Mavericks beat the highly favored Heat with their star LeBron simply collapsing under the pressure of the moment in all four quarters of every game of that series. I have another question to ask: Has Bird ever shown any inclination of cracking under any sort of pressure?

It’s obvious that the answer is “no”. Bird has lost in big games before, but who beat him? The greatness of the Showtime Lakers with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the legendary 76ers with Dr. J and Moses Malone, and the Bad Boy Pistons with Joe Dumars and Isiah Thomas. Bird fought his hardest in every high-pressured situation, and did all he could to win those games. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, but Bird was never at fault of disappearing in the fourth quarter of any game in his career, especially against underdogs with only one player who could barely be considered a superstar in Dirk Nowitski.

LeBron has all the ability in the world to be considered the greatest ever, but he simply has to get his head straight. Last year, people talked about how he won his second ring against a San Antonio Spurs team that was easily superior, but did he really lead his team to victory in the now infamous Game 6? He had three key turnovers in that game that almost cost his team the championship only to have Ray Allen hit the most important shot of both Ray and LeBron’s career. If LeBron finally plays to his ability, especially in late game situations, I may change my mind, but until then, I’d rather build my team around Bird, not only on his great skill, but his unbelievable intangibles.

bob
MY NOTE:  Yes, this was actually written for The Saudi Gazette, located in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Enough Is Enough:  LeBron James Is No Larry Bird Empty Re: Enough Is Enough: LeBron James Is No Larry Bird

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Bob,
Thanks. Interesting article. The author brings one aspect of this comparison that can't be argued - Larry's never disappeared while Lebron is well known for such acts.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Enough Is Enough:  LeBron James Is No Larry Bird Empty Re: Enough Is Enough: LeBron James Is No Larry Bird

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Lebron has become more of a "killer instinct" kind of player...

But the thing is, that came with him joining Wade and Bosh where a great deal of the pressure was alleviated. Lebron was never that way before.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for this link Bob. I agree 100% with the author. Moreover, I had a chance to read the various articles in the Gazette which provided me a rare insight into Saudi life, one I've avoided since 9-11. I'd been scheduled to fly there 9-14-01 to consult with Saudi hospitals about wound care issues, but for obvious reasons cancelled the trip. The Editorial about Israel was interesting in that the editor posits Hamas is no longer a terrorist organization and Hamas now recognizes Israel's right to exist. Does that mean the Katusha rockets raining down on Israeli towns are merely candles celebrating Jewish birthdays?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:40 pm

worcester wrote:Thanks for this link Bob. I agree 100% with the author. Moreover, I had a chance to read the various articles in the Gazette which provided me a rare insight into Saudi life, one I've avoided since 9-11. I'd been scheduled to fly there 9-14-01 to consult with Saudi hospitals about wound care issues, but for obvious reasons cancelled the trip. The Editorial about Israel was interesting in that the editor posits Hamas is no longer a terrorist organization and Hamas now recognizes Israel's right to exist. Does that mean the Katusha rockets raining down on Israeli towns are merely candles celebrating Jewish birthdays?

worcester,

The Saudis aren't clear on the meaning of the lighting of Passover candles. They think it's spelled 'Pass Over'.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:10 pm

So, now I have an explanation about why Mark Jackson got fired!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 am

Since I'll never be a fan of "best player" debates, I'd prefer to ask whether Larry or LeBum was/is a better catalyst for his team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:37 am

What I don't get is, why bring up Larry Bird at this point?
LeBron is the current best player on the planet and Bird retired 22 years ago.

Bob, you must be terribly bored in order to post a Bird/James who is better article from Saudi Arabia...
I would comment on this story but it's a discussion I will pass on...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:01 am

tjmakz wrote:What I don't get is, why bring up Larry Bird at this point?
LeBron is the current best player on the planet and Bird retired 22 years ago.

Bob, you must be terribly bored in order to post a Bird/James who is better article from Saudi Arabia...
I would comment on this story but it's a discussion I will pass on...

TJ,

I suppose I should hit the gym more.

It's not my job to decide whether this is a worthy article or not.  As long as the author is not known to me as a featherweight (e.g. Justin Haskins of the Yahoo Contributor Network) I will post the article for the board to read and comment on.  Some, like Rosalie, Sam and Worcester, felt like doing so.  Others such as yourself may only choose to comment to get on record as being "no comment". A chacun a son gout, to each their own tastes.  As long as we do it agreeably I don't care.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am

Favorite.........Best.............All around.............

To each his own

Favorite: Havlicek

But if I was to start a team and had to pick a player (not a center) to build around IN his prime, I'd go with Bird. And I'd take Jordan, and Magic ahead of Bron

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:07 am

Flip of the coin does it for me. No losers in this one.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 am

John Havlicek was one terrific basketball player. He brought me such joy in r g his playing time here. Anyone who knows me can attest to that! I still have a Havlicek puzzle up in my Celtic memory box! He just ran and ran and ran, and when they needed a big play, he came up with it.

So....Beat, you are right in your thinking. To each his own! The best part is that I have lived to watch them all. Russ is in a class all by himself.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 am

John Havlicek was one terrific basketball player. He brought me such joy in r g his playing time here. Anyone who knows me can attest to that! I still have a Havlicek puzzle up in my Celtic memory box! He just ran and ran and ran, and when they needed a big play, he came up with it.

So....Beat, you are right in your thinking. To each his own! The best part is that I have lived to watch them all. Russ is in a class all by himself.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:29 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:John Havlicek was one terrific basketball player. He brought me such joy in r  g his playing time here. Anyone who knows me can attest to that! I still have a Havlicek puzzle up in my Celtic memory box!  He just ran and ran and ran, and when they needed a big play, he came up with it.

So....Beat, you are right in your thinking.  To each his own!  The best part is that I have lived to watch them all.  Russ is in a class all by himself.

Rosalie

Back before they were a common thing to buy........my first "player" uniform was a #17 Celtic jersey. Wore it so much I wore it out. Plus I sort of grew out of it too.  No name on the back just the number front and back and the CELTICS across the front, white with green trim and lettering.

Yeah Russ is on top of the mountain but one thing Hondo did that NO other Celtic did..........he bridged the gap from the Dynasty years to the mini dynasty of the early/mid 70's (along with Nellie somewhat).

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:40 am

Bob,

I don't even understand the meaning of the title: Enough is Enough LeBron James is no Larry Bird.
Enough of what? What person has been discussing Larry Bird vs. LeBron James? If ANYONE has been discussing it, Hosam has had enough of it? Weird....

Hosam (who the hell is he anyway) said that LeBron has to get his head on straight...???
He said that LeBron didn't play up to his ability in game 6 last year against San Antonio. In that game 6 LeBron had 32 points, 10 rebs and 11 assists. Then in game 7 he had 37 points, 12 rebs and 4 assists.

It seems crazy to bash LeBron at this time, when all he is doing is racking up championships and awards year after year.

Junk story.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:58 am

TJ,

I agree it's not worth much of a discussion, but blame Mark Jackson for it being discussed at all since he's the one who said it during a Heat game. Jackson did a good job as coach of the Warriors, but I don't like him as an analyst, especially when he becomes the Master of Disastrous Exaggeration. Momma, there goes that man with his ridiculous pronouncements and repetitious go-to phrases!

We'd all be better off in the future if we just ignore him when he says stuff like this and ignore anyone who uses what he says to write articles.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:23 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

I don't even understand the meaning of the title: Enough is Enough LeBron James is no Larry Bird.
Enough of what? What person has been discussing Larry Bird vs. LeBron James? If ANYONE has been discussing it, Hosam has had enough of it? Weird....

Hosam (who the hell is he anyway) said that LeBron has to get his head on straight...???
He said that LeBron didn't play up to his ability in game 6 last year against San Antonio. In that game 6 LeBron had 32 points, 10 rebs and 11 assists. Then in game 7 he had 37 points, 12 rebs and 4 assists.

It seems crazy to bash LeBron at this time, when all he is doing is racking up championships and awards year after year.

Junk story.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-120301/nba-lebron-james-all-time-greats

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/miami-heat-news-lebron-james-vs-larry-bird-who-was-better-28-941230

http://warriorink.org/sports/2014/04/30/larry-bird-vs-lebron-james-stats-dont-mean-jack/

ESPN's "Numbers Never Lie"

Not Larry Bird, but more of the same.  Comparing LBJ to a former great who has been out of the league for a long time.

Stephen A(sshole) Smith and Skip Clueless.  Two of the biggest idiots in sports (with Gary Tanguay hot on their tails) but they are national talking heads and they show quotes by Isaiah Thomas and others commenting on the issue, begun by Mark Jackson.

That's who is talking about this, and I'm barely scratching the surface of the blogosphere here.  They are talking about it because LeBron just passed Larry Bird for most career playoff points.  The Saudi is actually coming to the table late, which might explain why he thinks "enough is enough".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:01 pm

I agree with Outside. Forget about Mark Jackson.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Bob,

Two of your links are from 2012.
One story was posted on warriorink.com. (not exactly espn.com)

Why has this writer had enough of LeBron vs. Bird?
Could that be a hot topic at bodega's in Saudi Arabia?
I missed Mark Jackson's comments, but I have heard nothing about Bird and LeBron this whole playoffs.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 pm

After an extensive reading of the holy Quran, I can say with some assurance that there is no reference to this Lebron/Bird controversy therein, although some may argue - blasphemously - that Surah 2, Verse 117 may anticipate the powers of Larry Bird to call his shot, something LeBron has yet to do:

"Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it, "Be," and it is."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 am

Game one.  No AC.  Court tempertures in the mid 90's.  Lebron leaves game in 3rd quarter with leg cramps and does not return as Spurs rally to win handily.

1984. Game five.  Boston Garden.  No AC in the greatest basketball gym in the world.  Temps in high 90's to low 100's due to freak early heat wave.  Bird drops triple double on LA and leads C's to decisive win that puts his team up 3-2.

When asked about the heat, Bird just shrugs and says, "That's what we do all summer in French Lick."

I'm not saying that Lebron isn't a tough player but I've never seen a player as physically or mentally tough as Larry Bird.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 am

God couldn't log on to this discussion, so He decided to blow out the A/C in San Antinio to let the results speak for themselves. Bird 1 - Lebron 0.

Perhaps He had a little coaching from Red on this one.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 am

Sloopjohnb wrote:Game one.  No AC.  Court tempertures in the mid 90's.  Lebron leaves game in 3rd quarter with leg cramps and does not return as Spurs rally to win handily.

1984. Game five.  Boston Garden.  No AC in the greatest basketball gym in the world.  Temps in high 90's to low 100's due to freak early heat wave.  Bird drops triple double on LA and leads C's to decisive win that puts his team up 3-2.

When asked about the heat, Bird just shrugs and says, "That's what we do all summer in French Lick."

I'm not saying that Lebron isn't a tough player but I've never seen a player as physically or mentally tough as Larry Bird.

Bird had a great game 5 but he didn't have a triple double.
He had 2 assists.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 am

And LeBron left with 4 minutes remaining in the 4th Q.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:16 am

worcester wrote:And LeBron left with 4 minutes remaining in the 4th Q.

And San Antonio went on a 17-2 run to finish.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next