OMG That was Ugly!

3 posters

Go down

OMG That was Ugly! Empty OMG That was Ugly!

Post by 112288 Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Probably the worst Quarter (3rd) played by Celtic's in years! I just do not get it. They should be flying following the win the other night. At times they seem as though they think that they can just throw their sneakers on the hardwood and win. An observation that I have been noticing over the season is when things get out of control, instead of slowing down and going down low, they start shooting from the outside. I just don't get it.

Rasheed another no show at art class ......... and painting! A disturbing comment from Mike Breen tonight on ESPN. In a conversation with Doc, Doc said this is the most advancement by Rasheed for him playing in the paint down low he has seen all season!

What!!!!!!!!!! Are you telling me Doc that you have no influence or control of your player who is stuffing $6 Million plus in the bank for the next 3 years!!!!!! What the ...................!

At this point I'd rather sign the cab driver in the NBA Commercial to back-up KG. At least he showed some toughness by getting the crap beat out of him in Provo Ut.

Back to top Go down

OMG That was Ugly! Empty Re: OMG That was Ugly!

Post by dboss Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 am

Larry Bird once said that as players get older they turn into jump shooters.

Doc really gives this team a lot of room to make decisions on the court. They are a veteran team and they do know how to play basketball. As veterans sometimes that just do not listen to their coach. Doc of course has a tendency to enable that behavior when he discusses three point shooting. It is part of the Celtics offensive philosophy to take a lot of 3 point shots.

We know that Rasheed is a much better player closer to the basket. Everyone can see that. He ends up with the ball near the end of the shot clock behind the arc so he is going to shoot it. Perhaps Rondo needs to do a better job running plays that require more post ups by Rasheed. If he is standing out there just don't give him the ball.

I think we also should keep in mind that Rasheed is still new to this team and perhaps mistakes himself for a good outside shooter. He takes almost 5 three point shots per game but is only connecting on .287 %

This is an issue that still needs to be resolved but Sheed has to understand and accept the fact that he hurts the team when he shoots too many 3 point shots.

The Celtics are 11th in the NBA in 3 point field goal attempts but only 14th in percentage of made 3 point shots. The Lakers have a similar problem.

There is no doubt that the game has changed. You would think that teams that have good post up players would play in the post more but the advent of the three point shot particularly among bigs has redefined th game.

I loved the Celtics of the Bird era because they knew that they could dominant in the post and that was the way they played.

The current edition may be more diverse because you do have several players on the team that can and will shoot the ball from behind the arc but I think is is just a little out of balance. It does take more effort and discipline for players to establish themselves down low. But the makeup of this team is one where two of our bigs (KG and Rasheed) like to play facing the basket on offense.

Oh well. The Celtics can still win it all but they are not shooting the ball as well from the arc as they did in 07-08.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 am

What were we all saying back in 07-08 about the Detroit Pistons? Something about them being a veteran team that thought that they could turn it on when they needed to? Something about it was just that attitude that would bite them in the butt when it really counted?

That sounds a lot like what many are saying about this Celtic team. I hope it is a temporary problem brought about because of the fact that we have not been at full strength even once in this season.

I hope that the Celtics can get healthy towards the end of the regular season and hit the playoffs hitting on all cylindars. If we can get all the pieces in place, no one can beat us in a 7 game series.

That is a big if.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:46 am

gyso

Without KG the Celtics do not seem to have the same intensity on defense. When he returns I expect the defense to pick up a bit. The Celtics are tied with the Bobcats in the PA category.

There has been some slippage on the defensive end but the system is still in tact.

I do notice a tendency for Boston to play like they can turn it on when ever they want to. This happens to a lot of good veteran teams. The solution is to have a young guy off the bench that is hungry for minutes and can energize the team when he comes in the game. It's like the kid that goes and works with some older guys who tell him to slow down you're making us look bad.

That tendency may be the biggest obstacle on this team. We have met the enemy and he is us. But again KG's return may help right the ship.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:11 am

dboss,

I agree, with KG out, we are missing our intensity. I never thought I'd say it, but we missed TA last night as well.

Once we get back to near full strength, I'd like to see a "running team" come out in the third quarter. Rondo, Quis, TA, Davis and Sheed, for instance. That may not be the most balanced five, and maybe someone else can come up with a better 5, but to come out of half-time with some energy would be great.

It is important to limit this group to only non-starters (except Rondo) so that the starters can play more minutes in the fourth quarter (or take most of the fourth off when Gino comes off the injured list).

Just an idea that has been running through my head after watching so many low energy 3rd quarters.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 am

gyso

We have yet to see what this team would look like if both TA and Daniels were in there with Rondo running the point and Davis and Wallace on the frontline.

But as you noted everyone has to get healthy for this to happen.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down