Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis?

4 posters

Go down

Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis? Empty Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis?

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:09 am

Ok, so this is a legit article and not just me beating my own drum again.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/06/who_the_heck_is_kristaps_porzingis.html

Who the Heck is Kristaps Porzingis?
Gary Dzen
@GaryDzen
Boston.com Staff
JUNE 10, 2014 12:46 PM
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Gary Dzen has covered one Celtics championship run and one 18-game losing streak. He was there for Belichick's 4th-and-2. He really, really likes IPAs.

A future Boston Celtic, if Chad Ford's latest mock draft is to be believed. Ford projects the Celtics to use the No. 17 pick in the June 26 draft to select Porzingis, a 7-footer out of Latvia.

From Ford:

Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis? BpyD5HGCYAItFik

I'd be lying if I said I knew a lot about Porzingis. He's an 18-year-old power forward currently playing in Spain for Cajasol Sevilla. DraftExpress.com has Porzingis 15th on its big board.

Below is a FIBA profile for Porzingis, whom Ford describes as a high-upside player who is still a "couple of years away."

My friend Kevin O'Connor, who writes for CelticsBlog, is releasing his own NBA Draft guide on Thursday. Here's his take on Porzingis:

Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis? 34xp1jt-thumb-608x887-131740

In case you can't see the image and can't wait for the draft guide Thursday, O'Connor lists several pluses and minuses for Porzingis:

PLUS:

-- Athletic, long wingspan
-- Star potential as a rim protector
-- "Absolutely a menace in transition"

MINUS

-- Lacks a post game
-- Gets pushed around by stronger guys (he's 220 pounds!)
-- Must improve perimeter defense

Porzingi's body type has O'Connor comparing him to a young, skinny Joakim Noah.

Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis? BpyRVHfCcAA3RcT-thumb-608x267-131742

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis? Empty Re: Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis?

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Tall and skinny. The learning curve will be interesting. Will his offense be good enough to offset his defensive deficiencies in the early going?

And could he be a stretch 5 (if that's possible)?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis? Empty Re: Who The Heck Is Kristaps Porzingis?

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Who the Heck is Kristaps Porzingis?

Hopefully not a future Celtic IMHO.

I think there have been just enough long shot picks in the not-so-distant Celtic past that we can let this project go.  There should be much better talent with much better odds at #17.  We simply don't need to take a risky proposition at center at this early rebuilding stage if there are better athletes available at other positions.

Has anyone checked to see if he was a soccer player until a couple of years ago?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 am

he is a potential top10 pick in the 2015 draft!!

What a Face 

pulled out of this years draft, it seems
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 am

Well, this takes some of the angst out of draft day for me.

He should take his time, develop his body and game, maybe stay in Europe for 2 more years.  That way he won't have to enter the draft at all and Danny can just sign him outright.

Heheheh.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:34 pm

draftexpress now has Porzingis going #7 in the 2015 draft.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down