k_j_88
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Gortat Re-Signs With Wizards Empty Gortat Re-Signs With Wizards

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Marcin Gortat Re-Signs With Wizards On Five-Year, $60M Deal
Jul 01, 2014 8:13 PM EDT

Marcin Gortat has agreed to re-sign with the Washington Wizards on a five-year, $60 million contract.

The Wizards traded for Gortat before the start of the season following the injury to Emeka Okafor, surrendering their 2014 first round pick in the process.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

bob
Shit.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Gortat Re-Signs With Wizards Empty Re: Gortat Re-Signs With Wizards

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 pm

OMG DANNY WTF!

Sighs....there goes that...

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 pm

as expected.

we need to lower those expectations some I am afraid.

too bad we missed out on Asik, but either Ainge wasn't all that sold on him OR Houston wasn't going to deal with us.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2007&year_max=2007&franch_id=BOS&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=age

Maybe Danny intends to stockpile promising young talent like he did in 2006-07. Two big trades in 2007-08 brought two all leagues scorers to the Celtics for a bunch of under 25 year olds. Hey, give Danny some time. A quick fix may not be in the cards. The 2006-07 Celtic roster link above.
swish
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Swish,

stockpiles are fine, but he wouldn't have had to give up any assets for Gortat, just some millions in cap space.

Also, I'm not looking for a "quick fix," just a center.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:16 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Swish,

stockpiles are fine, but he wouldn't have had to give up any assets for Gortat, just some millions in cap space.

KJ

Perhaps Danny has other players that he would prefer to spend those millions on.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 pm

kdp59 wrote:as expected.

too bad we missed out on Asik, but either Ainge wasn't all that sold on him OR Houston wasn't going to deal with us.

I would agree; as expected.

I'm not certain where the notion may have come from that he could end up in Boston.  Gortat made it clear he liked the Wiz and especially Wall and they pulled out all the stops to sign him.

We'll find a stop-gap center or two along the way for the coming season I'm sure.  We'll be busy assimilating our backcourt and keeping an eye out for opportunities at the three forward spots until we can draft or deal for the front-court players we need.

We're making progress, it's just that the back-court players came along first.  To come out a year after gutting the team and be able to say we may have the pieces we need at guard is keeping us on pace or even a little ahead of what is fair to expect.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 pm

NYCelt wrote:
kdp59 wrote:as expected.

I would agree; as expected.

I'm not certain where the notion may have come from that he could end up in Boston.  Gortat made it clear he liked the Wiz and especially Wall and they pulled out all the stops to sign him.

We'll find a stop-gap center or two along the way for the coming season I'm sure.  We'll be busy assimilating our backcourt and keeping an eye out for opportunities at the three forward spots until we can draft or deal for the front-court players we need.

We're making progress, it's just that the back-court players came along first.  To come out a year after gutting the team and be able to say we may have the pieces we need at guard is keeping us on pace or even a little ahead of what is fair to expect.

NYCelt,

I agree.  The whole "oh, we'll just sign Gortat next, now that Asik is gone"  was just our little pipe dream.  Gortat never expressed interest in being anywhere except Washington.  There was that photoshop of him in Celtic green which he re-tweeted but, when Wiz fans went ballistic, he told them to calm down, he was just admiring the artwork.  Furthermore, as was cited on another thread today, we'd have to do a sign-and-trade to get him because we don't have cap space and the TPE can't be used to sign free agents and this scenario would not work if Washington wants Gortat for themselves.  They traded a first round pick for him so I'd say there's at least a little love there...

I still don't know what's going on inside the Celtic front office.  I have no idea who they are talking to or any of it and I doubt anybody else outside of the organization has a well-rounded idea either.

One more point.  It took Danny 5 years to rebuild when he first came on board.  We're only 1 year into this rebuild.  One year.  Yeah, I know we've gotten used to winning again and none of us want to be that patient, but really...one year and we're going nutzoid?  I think we need to be a little more patient.  You can't just assemble a quality, roster-balanced team with limited cap space (which we still are, that's why we need trades to make this happen and not just free agents) in one year.  We're too many players away to just drop the last piece or two into place and Voila!  instant contender!  Just to use a team that is also in rebuilding mode but is at the opposite end of the spectrum, if the Lakers have an advantage over us it's that they have tons of cap space, so they can just pay what it takes to get someone, like Melo.  What they don't have are players.  Literally, they have 3 under contract, a team option on a fourth and a rookie (Randle) coming on board; and figuratively, because they have soon to be 36-year old Kobe Bryant coming back from 2 straight years of leg surgeries and a 40 1/2 year old point guard that has admitted that he's just playing for the money and not because he still has game.  My point here is not to beat on the Lakers, an argument could be made that Kobe on one leg is still better than most, it's to point out that you can't rebuild in one year no matter which path you take, emptying your roster to the point where you can't even put 5 players on the court or developing players and trade chips like draft picks.

Patience, grasshoppers, patience.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 am

I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 am

k_j_88 wrote:Swish,

KJ

no cap space for Gortat #1. we would have had to do a sign and trade and Washington wasn't going to do that.

and frankly $60M for Gortat is NOT the way to rebuild (unless you think Gortat was going to be the final piece to put us back into contention).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:29 am

Just to chime in here with NYcelt and others; I think a deliberate rebuild with the goal of being good in a few years is the course the C's are pursuing and I'm on board with that. Gortat would have made us better next year, probably just good enough to lower our draft position without making us contenders. If we win 25-30 games next year, but Smart and Young pan out, (as I think they will, strongly in Smart's case) we'll be ahead of the game and ahead of the pace of other rebuilds. Yes, we need a center, but I'd like to see what Iverson-Anthony-Faverani can do in 2014-15. If Iverson can't make the team, it may be time to rule him out. (My guess, though, is he will rival Perk this coming year) Vitor either needs to step up, accept that contact is a big part of his mission, or play elsewhere. Anthony is what he always has been (not bad in a pinch). Longer term, we need a better center, hopefully someone who's about 21-22 next year and ready for the big time when the new young core is ready. My take, anyway. hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 am

Would've been nice to get Gortat, but it was logically a long shot. The rebuild continues, for the moment without quantum leaps.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Unfortunately, settling for pedestrian talent at the center position appears to be the route Danny will be forced to take for the foreseeable future.  There are so many references to Danny's stockpiling assets that ultimately led to a championship.  But no mentions of the fact that two of those assets were centers named Al Jefferson and Kendrick Perkins.  Perhaps lightning will strike and magically transform Faverani, Iverson or Anthony into the equivalent of either of those two.

In the meantime, I hope we won't see a continued steady diet of small ball or the Jared Sullinger torture test at the center position or a progression of layup drills by opponents as the Celts are forced to play a system of adjustment rather than learning how to play attack defense anchored by a strong center.

As usual, I'll be looking for glimmers.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down