dboss
cowens/oldschool
Outside
sinus007
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Celtics Re-Sign Avery Bradley: 4 years, $32M - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Re-Sign Avery Bradley: 4 years, $32M

Post by worcester Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:33 am

Independent of his overemphasis on the money spent for AB, Kaufman's analysis displays severely flawed logic . He compares AB to Meeks and says AB had a high turnover rate of 1.6 per game whereas Meeks had only 1.4 per game. That's ridiculous. If 1.6 is high then 1.4 is not low, and vice versa. The difference between the two is miniscule. Also, Kaufman neglects to mention that AB's turnover rate was 1.6 because he had to handle the ball more as a PG, a position for which we all know he is ill-suited.

Kaufman also dismisses the importance of AB's All NBA defense compared to Meeks lackluster defensive skills. Since defense is 1/2 of the NBA game, why not consider it a relevant factor in evaluating performance? Also, Kaufman notes that AB's defense prowess slipped a bit last year - without commenting on any changes in the Celtics team. Did the loss of Kevin Garnett in 2013-14 have ANY impact on the defensive play of other Celtics? The answer is obviously yes. That's a question Kaufman should have asked before beginning his blithering.

How guys like AK get paid to write and comment on sports just boggles my mind. There are so many clueless people voicing off with media megaphones. Enough already. I'd rather read the non-professional opinions of those on our Forum: more insightful and less pompous.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics Re-Sign Avery Bradley: 4 years, $32M - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Re-Sign Avery Bradley: 4 years, $32M

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 am

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/07/avery_bradley_deal_should_pay_off

Avery Bradley deal should pay off
Guard’s extension goes beyond numbers

Thursday, July 3, 2014
By:  Steve Bulpett

At first glance, the numbers on Avery Bradley’s new contract with the Celtics may seem a bit high. But the decision to lock him up may not have been simply about pure numbers — even though their validity is supported by the market.

The Celts and their restricted free agent agreed on a four-year pact that will net him a total of $32 million, and, according to league sources, it is a straight-up deal that will begin in the low $7 million range and rise to nearly $9 million by the 2017-18 season. There are no player options or incentives.

In terms of the money alone, sources told the Herald that at least one other team was prepared to offer more and might have already done so (Philadelphia was known to have interest in Bradley, but it could not be confirmed as that team). Perhaps more importantly, the other bids coming his way would have contained clauses designed to dissuade the Celts from meeting the terms.

Having extended Bradley the qualifying offer of $3,581,302, the Celtics reserved their right to match any offer sheet tendered by another club. And, while there is evidence the club would have gone to great lengths to keep the 23-year-old, four-year veteran, it might have been left with a difficult deal on its books.

Said one veteran league source, “It’s better to get a guy for an average of $8 million a year than to have to handle a contract for $7 million a year with a trade kicker and all kinds of incentives for making the All-Defensive team and things like that.”

As for Bradley’s value overall, it is known that Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has been a believer from the start. And his willingness to pay him at this rate couldn’t have been hurt by what’s transpired in the first couple of days of the NBA’s free agent negotiating period.

Or as one league personnel man put it, “Jodie Meeks got more than $6 million a year — and Jodie Meeks (uh, is not good).

Bradley is known throughout the NBA as one of the game’s best on-the-ball defenders, but some have questioned his shooting. In this latter case, the numbers would seem to offer rebuttal.

Last season he averaged 14.9 points in 30.9 minutes, hitting 39.5 percent on 3-pointers. Bradley made 44.6 percent of treys taken from above where the 3-point arc breaks.

“I love the kid,” one NBA coach said. “You can try to pick apart this or that, but all I know is when he’s on the floor, he makes plays. He’s a relentless defender, and he moves really well without the ball. You can’t talk about his shooting without talking about his cutting and what that does for their offense when (Rajon) Rondo wants to move the ball.

“You’ve got to look at the bigger picture with (Bradley). He had that one bad shooting year, but he was coming off shoulder surgery.”

Health has, indeed, been the cloud hanging over his career. Bradley already has had surgery on his left ankle and on both shoulders, and last season he missed 19 games with right ankle problems. In other words, the Celtics are trusting that those particular injury problems have been solved and that there are no overriding structural issues that would make him more susceptible to further trouble.

Ainge and coach Brad Stevens have stated that Bradley, Rondo and top draft pick Marcus Smart can work well together in a rotation, but there is at least some room to question how long that trio will be together. There has been further talk since the draft that the Celts will field more offers for Rondo as teams see what they get or don’t get in free agency.

If it eventually comes down to Bradley and the 6-foot-4 Smart in the backcourt, the C’s would have some flexibility on matchups, with the 6-2 Bradley being able to play off the ball on offense and defend point guards at the other end.

The other part of the fit is that Bradley wanted to be here. While he might have been the one to walk away from an extension offer last year, he chose to end his recruitment now, passing on offers that would have at the very least given him more flexibility and likely more money.

It will take time to judge whether Bradley’s new contract is a good value, but with the NBA’s salary cap rising, it’s fair to believe that, assuming reasonable improvement from someone still so young, the numbers will look more than well in line by the end of the deal’s term.

bob
MY NOTE:  Thank you, Steve Bulpett, for putting some meat on these bones.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:43 am

In my estimation, Steve Bulpett and Jackie MacMullan are now the leading Boston-based media authorities on the Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 am

Worcester, I also noticed his little game with statistics—namely making mountains out of molehills in comparing players just to try to prove a point. The difference in their turnover numbers amounts to one turnover every five games. A junior high student would write a less sophomoronic article.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 am

Sam,

When looking at Bradley's salary it is not that he personally got $8million that bothers me....hey I am a CAPITALIST....so BRAVO TO BRADLEY. 

What concerns me is if he needs to be part of a bigger trade in the future and he is difficult to move like Jeff Green's salary or Wallace's salary.  I would love to have more flexibility with a slightly lower salary then $8M.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 am

Danny knows guards and their value. That's his area of expertise. I have no complaints now about any decisions he makes regarding Rondo, AB, Pressey, or Smart. Where he has a blind spot is picking Centers. A year ago he picked Fab Melo (really?) over Miles Plumlee, who went on to start for a darn good Phoenix team. Then think about the 2007 and 2008 drafts where he passed up on Asik, DeAndre Jordan, and Marc Gasol. Yes, other teams did also, but to be a championship caliber GM you need t be able to discern talent at the center position,. Had Danny done so, imagine what a good position the Celts would be in today.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:24 am

Glad Danny learned after he focked up and we lost TA, because of that we had to lose Perk, at least he didn't let the dynamic AB go. TA was injury prone his early years too....I think AB will get better and better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:27 am

worcester wrote:Danny knows guards and their value. That's his area of expertise. I have no complaints now about any decisions he makes regarding Rondo, AB, Pressey, or Smart.  Where he has a blind spot is picking Centers. A year ago he picked Fab Melo (really?) over Miles Plumlee, who went on to start for a darn good Phoenix team. Then think about the 2007 and 2008 drafts where he passed up on Asik, DeAndre Jordan, and Marc Gasol. Yes, other teams did also, but to be a championship caliber GM you need t be able to discern talent at the center position,. Had Danny done so, imagine what a good position the Celts would be in today.

he also passed on Dieng who came on as a glass eater and defender....things KO seems ill equipped to do.

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 am

Thank god for Kevin McHale....he bleeds green.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:41 am

I've never implied once that I think less of Avery because he got a $32 million contract.  I'm focused on all the conjecture and opinion floating around among fans concerning an area in which they have extremely limited expertise—if any.  

You've cited an instance in which his pay scale could be a limiting factor in future maneuvers.  There there may be many such factors that could be mentioned but we don't know about them.  There could also be instances when his salary level could be an advantage, as in matching equivalent salaries in a trade for a high-priced incoming player.

I just feel that we all know a whole lot more about the game of basketball than we do about the game of basketball finance.  As I've clearly stated, I don't fault anyone for doing it because it's a natural tendency, but I personally find it a little irrelevant because only a tip of the financial iceberg is usually considered in such pronouncements.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:47 am

Worcester,

Are you considering Kendrick Perkins and Al Jefferson when you point to Danny's weakness concerning picking centers?  I believe he selected them in the first two consecutive years he was in this job.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am

SAM,

I never implied that your implied, I just wanted to add another dimension to the discussion about what if in the future.

Good luck with your move and Greetings from ARTHUR!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm

I'll see your implieds and will raise you a couple of infers.  I understand that salaries can have a huge bearing on the future; I just don't feel that—speaking for myself—I'm an expert in that area as far as the NBA in general and the Celtics in particular are concerned.  Maybe everyone else is.

Thank for the good wishes.  The move took place on Saturday and Sunday.  I had to lock myself into the bathroom occasionally in order to post on the board. The movers just think I have the tiniest bladder in the world.

Hi to the family.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 pm

SAM,

GOD BLESS YOU AND SALLY IN YOUR NEW HOME!

PS

WE WILL BE COMING TO THE CAPE & THE VINEYARD BEGINNING MONDAY AUGUST 4th -6th. VINEYARD BEGINNING ON THE 7th.

LET US PLAN ONE OF THOSE DAYS TO COME SEE THE HOUSE AND DINNER.  PERHAPS THE PLACE WE ATE AT LAST YEAR.  I JUST HAVE TO FIGURE WHAT DAY I AM VISITING  CHARLES IN COTUIT.  ALSO WE WILL BE DOING THE $2M FUND RAISE SHOURTLY FOR THE NFL/NHL NECK BRACE SO WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR YOUR GUIDANCE AND SERVICES THEREAFTER.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:42 pm

So I'm assuming we might get together the evening of the 4th, 5th or 6th.  Sounds good to me.  Definitely plan to have at least drinks in our new home.

I hope the fund raise goes well; you have tremendous experience in that area.

Talk to you later.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Celtics Re-Sign Avery Bradley: 4 years, $32M - Page 2 Byline-tanguay_0

I don’t get it. I just do not get it. Four years and $32 million for Avery Bradley? This is crazy money, because the player simply isn't worth it.

I like and admire Danny Ainge -- after all, he brought us a 17th title -- but he's made some moves over the years that I completely disagree with.

When Kendrick Perkins was traded to Oklahoma City for Jeff Green, I told Felger on The Sports Hub that if I was the GM, I wouldn’t have done it. Then I scratched my head when Jeff Green got four years at $36 million. There's no evidence Green is, or ever will be, a $9 million-dollar-a-year player. Demar DeRozen averages 22 points per game is a $9 million-dollar-a-year player. Green averages 16.9 points per game by scoring 25 one night and 8 the next.

Avery Bradley is a nice guy who tries hard, but that doesn't warrant this deal.

All the Bradley supporters tell me that Jodie Meeks getting $6.3 million per year from Detroit means Avery's worth $8 million a year. No, no, no! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

The Meeks deal is for three years and $19 million total. $19 million is NOT $32 million.

Arron Afflalo will make $7.5 million this year with Denver in a deal he can opt out of at the end of the season. I would take Afflalo over Bradley any day of the week. Should Avery make a half-a-million more than Afflalo? Hell no!

My point in all of this is I DON’T CARE WHAT OTHER PLAYERS MAKE! Because my neighbor spends $60,000 on a truck, does that set the truck market in my neighborhood?

The only way a team is forced to overpay a player is if it's in a bidding war. In the Avery Bradley case, seems to me that -- as with the Jeff Green situation -- the Celtics were bidding against themselves. Look at this way: This season, the Celtics will pay Avery Bradley and Jeff Green a combined $17 million. Will they get $17 million worth of production? Of course not.

Plus, Bradley can't stay healthy. Over his last three seasons he's missed 54 games. He averaged double digits for the first time last season, in a year when his defense declined.

At his healthiest, Avery Bradley is a role player on a contending team. If the cost of such a player is $32 million, then were I was an owner I woul
d sell my team and get the hell out the pro basketball business.

bob
MY NOTE:  If Tanguay doesn't like the deal, that's enough tip me off the fence in favor it.  I'd say he's dumber than a bag of hammers, but at least hammers have a useful purpose.  Tanguay?  Not so much.

btw, I like Afflalo.  He's 28 (vs 23) but his numbers aren't signicantly different from Bradley's.

Afflalo
FG---FGA---FG%---3P---3PA---3P%---2P---2PA---2P%---FT---FTA---FT%---ORB---DRB---TRB---AST---STL---BLK---TOV---PF---PTS
6.5--14.3---.459---1.8---4.2---.427---4.7--10.0---.473---3.9---4.7---.815----0.5----3.2----3.7---3.5----0.5---0.0----2.1----1.9--18.8

Bradley
FG---FGA---FG%---3P---3PA---3P%---2P---2PA---2P%---FT---FTA---FT%---ORB---DRB---TRB---AST---STL---BLK---TOV---PF---PTS
7.0--16.0--.438----1.5---3.9---.395---5.5---12.1--.451----1.7--2.2---.804----0.9----3.5----4.4---1.6----1.2---0.2----1.9----2.8--17.3

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:30 pm

In the inimitable words of Tanguay himself.....Haw haw haw haw haw.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Tanguay or Tanqueray?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 am

sam wrote:Worcester,

Are you considering Kendrick Perkins and Al Jefferson when you point to Danny's weakness concerning picking centers?  I believe he selected them in the first two consecutive years he was in this job.

Sam

You're right Sam. He did, an achievement I overlooked. Still, he's been unable to draft a good center since. Maybe he doesn't have a blind spot. Sure wish he'd trade for a decent center, but now the options are so very limited.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:17 am

worcester wrote:
sam wrote:Worcester,

Sam

You're right Sam. He did, an achievement I overlooked. Still, he's been unable to draft a good center  since. Maybe he doesn't have a blind spot. Sure wish he'd  trade for a decent center, but now the options are so very limited.

Here's the centers Danny drafted:

Kendrick Perkins (2003)
Al Jefferson (2004)

Fab Melo (2012)
Colton Iverson (2013)
Vitor Faverani (2013)

According to this, he has an effective draft rate for centers of 40%. I think it's safe to say that he is either hit or miss when it comes to determining a good fit at center.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:00 am

Hi,
I guess Mr. Tanguay tries to stay relevant by trowing shit against a wall to see if it sticks. And he's done it many times before.
I wonder if the definition of insanity (doing the same thing and expecting different result) is applicable here.

KJ,
I disagree with your stat of 40%. First, Perk and Big Al were 1st rounders, Iverson and Vitor are 2nd and undraft. Second, the jury's still out for CI and VF, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:06 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I guess Mr. Tanguay tries to stay relevant by trowing shit against a wall to see if it sticks. And he's done it many times before.
I wonder if the definition of insanity (doing the same thing and expecting different result) is applicable here.

KJ,
I disagree with your stat of 40%. First, Perk and Big Al were 1st rounders, Iverson and Vitor are 2nd and undraft. Second, the jury's still out for CI and VF, IMO.

AK

2/5 = 40% in to-date successful draft picks.

Fab was a first rounder, too.

To be fair, Danny is 66.7% in first rounders, 2/3, which isn't bad. But he's missed out on some very good centers multiple years.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 am

KJ,
Sure, Fab was a bust - no argument here. But the other 2 still can prove to be good players. Also, DA didn't have opportunity to draft a C in the 1st round last year. Well, kind of - he went for the best choice and, so far it's a success (KO).

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 pm

sinus007 wrote:KJ,
Sure, Fab was a bust - no argument here. But the other 2 still can prove to be good players. Also, DA didn't have opportunity to draft a C in the 1st round last year. Well, kind of - he went for the best choice and, so far it's a success (KO).

AK

But Kelly is not a center so that doesn't count. He wasn't a bad pick, and for the foreseeable future seems to be a decent acquisition, but Dieng (who I thought should have been drafted instead) was still on the board and he is a legit center.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:34 pm

k_j_88 wrote:
sinus007 wrote:KJ,

AK

But Kelly is not a center so that doesn't count. He wasn't a bad pick, and for the foreseeable future seems to be a decent acquisition, but Dieng (who I thought should have been drafted instead) was still on the board and he is a legit center.

KJ

KJ,

If you knew then what you know now who would you rather Danny to have done?

1.  Trade up to #13 and grab Kelly or
2.  Use #16 on Dieng

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next