Lex Nihil Novi - David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang

2 posters

Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang Empty Lex Nihil Novi - David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:04 pm

David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang

May 1, 1977

Lex Nihil Novi - David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang 197705010DEN

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - David Thompson's 31 Keeps Nuggets Alive against Walton Gang

Post by dbrown4 Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 am

Was that NBA or ABA, Bob? The lines were blurred back then in 1977. DT came out of NC State in Raleigh, my hometown. I know Thompson went to the ABA first and then his lines got blurred. Ah, the Kentucky Colonels, Denver Nuggets, Carolina Cougars, Virginia Squires, etc. I just did the google on it. There were a lot of teams that moved around and changed names. Don't forget the coveted red, white and blue ball!

His greatest tribute to DT despite all his troubles was when Jordan was inducted into the Hall of Fame, David Thompson introduced him. DT was everybody's idol back then. He was the original "Skywalker". I was 10 years old when NC State won the NCAA Championship in '74. As a matter of fact, I believe Walton had stated on many occasions how DT and NC State derailed the UCLA express and Walton was part of that downfall and is still bitter about it to this day. Of course, UCLA came back in '75 and won it one last time to finish the dynasty. This Pro game evidently didn't help Walton. But I believe the championship later that year helped put any fires out.

Strange thing about the '74 season for NC State. They were on probation in '73, had won the ACC Tournament but could not advance to the NCAA Tournament as a result. They were undefeated that season. Coach Norm Sloan had wanted to see how good his team really was since they were shafted in the previous season so he scheduled UCLA during the '74 regular season in St Louis I believe, a neutral site. State was humbled and lost by 15 or so. The Tournament rolled around and State, whatever and one, started the first round at Reynolds Coliseum here in Raleigh, State's home court. They played the Providence Friars with their star guard Ernie DiGregorio. My dad had somehow managed to get us tickets. I was beside myself with elation for my dad doing that. That to this day is one of my life's best moments and memories with my dad.

I think I have answered my own question. It had to be NBA.

Local TV carried a few ABA games back then. Dan Issel. Haven't seen or heard that name in a while. I'm guessing that's Paul Silas as well.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down