Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have.

+6
beat
bobheckler
swish
cowens/oldschool
hawksnestbeach
kdp59
10 posters

Go down

Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have. Empty Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have.

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:15 am

http://www.celticslife.com/2014/07/nba-news-hornets-sign-gordon-hayward-to.html

$16 million a year is a ton of money to pay Hayward, but you have to ante up if you want to bring in star players. Now it will be up to the 24 year old Hayward to prove that he is a star. Between this signing and the drafting of Vonleh, the Hornets have had a nice Summer. Of course, I expect the Jazz to match, so those great Summer memories will fade soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

While I would have liked to see both Vonleh and Hayward in Boston, $16M is a lot of money for Hayward and I think Charlotte over paid a bit for him.

we will know in a few years if taking Smart over Vonleh was a good move.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have. Empty Re: Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have.

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 am

It's hard to analyze chess moves without knowing the overall strategy, but when Danny took Smart over Vonleh, I read that as Rondo is gone. Then when we signed Bradley up for $32 million, to play next to our point guard, I saw that as confirmation that Rondo is gone and that Danny is hoping to produce a competitive team within the length of Bradley's contract...Still, just groping at straws here, waiting for the next move. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have. Empty Re: Charlotte is having the off-season some thought Boston should have.

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:18 am

Oops, I meant "grasping" at straws, mixing up my cliches, here, kdp. Basically, my read (subject to immediate change if management makes a big move) is that DA has decided the quickest way to rebuild is to completely retool - get rid of everyone who doesn't fit into the picture in say, 3 years. So, while it may seem we'd be better off plugging some gaps now, or signing a big-time scorer like Love, and winning 10-15 more games next year, I think the plan is to field a team comparable, or even slightly worse than, the 13-14 edition in the fall, return to the lottery for a big man, and make our moves next year. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:18 am

Red sure could rebuild us alot faster than Danny....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:24 am

hawk

Sounds like a plan to me.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:38 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Red sure could rebuild us alot faster than Danny....

Cowens,

Different eras. Red didn't have to deal with the CBA and free agency. He could trade an Ice Capades date for the rights to Bill Russell. Try doing that now. He was able to draft Bird even though he didn't declare for the draft.

Besides, NOBODY is Red. No shame in that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Red sure could rebuild us alot faster than Danny....

Cowens,

Different eras.  Red didn't have to deal with the CBA and free agency.  He could trade an Ice Capades date for the rights to Bill Russell.  Try doing that now.  He was able to draft Bird even though he didn't declare for the draft.

Besides, NOBODY is Red.  No shame in that.

bob

And wasn't Red around quite a bit from 1986 till his death in 2007? Might not have been as directly involved but if he was here he was involved.
Didn't see much rebuilding in the 90's.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:16 pm

kdp,

I can't say I agree with much of anything in that particular Celtics Life post. Hayward is a nice player, but he's not close to being worth max money. Many people here think Jeff Green is overpaid at $9 million and want him shipped out of town, but his numbers are comparable to Hayward except in assists, and Utah is really weak in that area with rookie Trey Burke (5.7 assists per game) at the point and no one else doing much, so they turned to Hayward to be a point-forward out of necessity or desperation. Considering that Utah will likely match the offer, I don't see how this is an accomplishment for Charlotte.

As for Vonleh, he has a great wingspan, but he's 6' 8" without shoes and not likely to be an NBA center anytime soon (if ever), so I don't see the value in drafting him when they already have Sullinger and Olynyk at power forward. You can say that Smart is redundant also, but he can fill in at both guard positions and be a regular part of the rotation, which isn't much of an option for Vonleh at power forward. They've used their top pick on a power forward the past two drafts, so it wouldn't make sense to get another one.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:29 pm

I think we agree Outside, that Haywards deals seems a bit high ( I could see $12M per).

but since Charlotte signed him and Utah will likely match it, there are at least 2 GMS in the NBA that feel his value is there...since they gte paid and I don't...hmmm.

and like I said we'll know in a few years if Smart was a better pick than Vonleh.

my point was that beofre the start of the off-season many Celtics fans could have seen both those players playing in Boston.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:36 pm

kdp,

Ah, I understand your point better. Thanks.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm

I wouldn't have supported making any moves to bring in Hayward as he is not even remotely a significant upgrade over Jeff Green.

I wanted to see Vonleh drafted, but I can understand why he wasn't, as there are enough power forwards. Don't need 5 of them, right?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I wouldn't have supported making any moves to bring in Hayward as he is not even remotely a significant upgrade over Jeff Green.

I wanted to see Vonleh drafted, but I can understand why he wasn't, as there are enough power forwards. Don't need 5 of them, right?

KJ

KJ,

Hayward plays 3, not 4.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:13 pm

bobheckler wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:I wouldn't have supported making any moves to bring in Hayward as he is not even remotely a significant upgrade over Jeff Green.

KJ

KJ,

Hayward plays 3, not 4.

bob

I know. I referred to Hayward in the context of potentially replacing Green.

The power forward statement was about Vonleh.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:23 pm

I hope Charlotte is having a good off-season.  They are about to become my second favorite NBA team, as I will be moving there sometime in this calendar year.

Janie and I are expecting three grand-babies this year, we found out today that the third one will be a boy.  The order of them now stands as boy, girl, boy.  The bookend boys will be born in Charlotte and the  girl will be born in San Antonio.  There is hope that the girl (and her parents) will be moving to the Carolinas sometime in 2015, when her father gets deployed as a Army recruiter.

Go Bobcats!!!  Um, no . . . excuse me, it is hard to keep track . . .

Go Hornets!!!

gyso

PS:  We are currently trying to find a rental house in the Charlotte area, oh boy, ain't that hard to do at this time of year.  We are also trying to sell our house in central Maine, oh boy, ain't that hard to do any time of the year.  Once we sell, we plan to buy in about 9-12 months.  I telecommute and my company's closest office is in Cary, NC.  I go in to the office sometimes, so I will be trying to rent and then buy somewhere north of Charlotte.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 am

gyso,

Big news! Welcome to the south. I hope all goes smoothly for you. I never thought you would leave Maine!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down