Celtics Get Aggressive Babb

Go down

Celtics Get Aggressive Babb Empty Celtics Get Aggressive Babb

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4713883/celtics-get-aggressive-babb

Celtics get aggressive Babb
July, 9, 2014
JUL 9 10:00 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Chris Babb was already in for an uphill battle for a spot on the Boston Celtics' 2014-15 roster before the team got in on a three-way deal Wednesday that added veteran shooting guard Marcus Thornton to an overpopulated backcourt.

Celtics Get Aggressive Babb Bos_g_babb_300x300
Fernando Medina/NBAE/Getty Images

Babb, playing on a nonguaranteed deal, could be an odd man out with Boston soon to be carrying 17 players and sitting -- at least temporarily -- above the league's luxury tax line. Releasing Babb would afford the team $816,000 in savings. For his part, Babb denied getting any additional motivation from the team's roster moves, nor is he worrying about his own situation.

But after Wednesday's effort, you can't help but wonder if recent events helped light a bit of a fire under him.

Babb played with an offensive aggression that he has often lacked since earning his spot on the Boston roster as a D-League call-up last season. Babb attacked the basket often during Wednesday's summer league triumph over the Detroit Pistons and finished with 10 points on 5-of-8 shooting to go along with 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals over 26 minutes of play.

Put it this way: Babb attempted only three two-point shots in 132 minutes of floor time last season. He put up six -- and made five of them -- in Wednesday's game.

"He played really, really aggressively," Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga, head coach of the summer squad, said of Babb. "That’s what he needs to do. He’s got all the potential in the world to compete at this level. I try to get on him to be more aggressive. He’s such a team-oriented player and a very conservative player, that sometimes you just gotta let loose. He’s always going to be a great defender, but as he gets more and more comfortable being aggressive on offense, I think he’ll really continue to grow."

Babb said his first focus is on being a team player, but knows he has to look for his spots more.

"I’m such a team-oriented guy that, a lot of times, I pass up opportunities for an extra pass or make a play for somebody else," Babb said. "Sometimes those shots are there and I can be a little bit more aggressive."

Did he have a little extra motivation Wednesday with news that Boston was part of a three-way deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Brooklyn Nets?

"To be honest, that’s all outside of my hands," Babb said. "That’s upstairs, that’s the front office -- that really has nothing to do with me at this point. I’m just really focused on what I can control at this point. Just being aggressive, playing hard, and being a team guy and trying to win games."

Babb is averaging 5.7 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists through three summer league appearances.

A final camp cut for Boston in September, Babb landed with the team's D-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws. He spent much of the 2013-14 season in the D-League, but signed a 10-day contract in late February (and another in early March) before inking a four-year pact that's nonguaranteed this season and next (with a team option looming in 2016-17).

bob
MY NOTE:  As I mentioned in my post-game comments Chris Babb threw up a 3pt attempt that missed everything and I thought "well, Babb's toast, especially in the context of the new trade" and then it was like a lightswitch coming on.  His aggressiveness cranked WAY up.  His defense was absolutely stellar, I mean he was ALL OVER his men, and you could see it amped up his teammates too.  At one point he got caught on a switch with a much bigger player.  Not only did he force the big to pick up his dribble he smothered him so totally he had trouble passing it.  It must have taken at least 5-7 seconds or more before the ball moved again, the big just didn't know how to get rid of the pest.  He thought the smaller player would fall off and try to play the passing lane but Babb stayed right up in his grill. It was a real eye-popping display of defense.  He not only hit some 3s after that he also put the ball on the floor (which you very rarely see him do) and either taking it to the front of the rim or pulling up for the little 10-12'er.  I think this article actually nails him pretty well.  He has good size (6'5", 225#, 6'9" wingspan), is quite strong and is a better-than-average defender.  His weaknesses come in the form of not being greedy enough and in accepting a role as a "3-and-D'er".  I don't think he's going to make the roster, because of the trade yesterday if nothing else, but yesterday was a very, very good day for Chris Babb.  I hope GMs were watching.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down