Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando

2 posters

Go down

Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando Empty Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Boxscore:
http://www.nba.com/games/20140710/BOSORL/gameinfo.html

Kelly got the night off and Bertrans sat as a precaution because of his neck.

A LOT of double teaming by the Celtics.  Our defensive rotations and doubles came pretty fast and effective, all in all.  We got croaked, absolutely croaked on the boards,  46-32 with Orlando getting 14 offensive ones.  Despite all those extra shots, in close, they still only shot 37%.  We shot 32% because of Phil Pressey and because 46% of our fgas were 3s, and we only shot 8-33 from 3.

1.  We won this game DESPITE Phil Pressey, not because of him.  This was the worst game I've seen Phil play.  Fortunately for him Brad and Danny have seen him for a year and know him.  If his job depended upon this game he'd be gone.  1-15, 0-6 from 3, 5 points.  It was an abomination.  3 assists.  Awful, awful, awful.  He was 1-8  and 0-2 from 3 at the half, so he was even more 3 happy in the 2nd half, with the same result.  We ended up in 3rd place for the week behind Indy (tied in points but lost the tiebreaker) because Phil Pressey had to do hero ball with 22 seconds left in the half and ended up taking a horrid shot.  Two points, anyway he could produce them, would have won the quarter for us, given us another point in the standing and we would have passed Indy.  It's not about the points, it was the hero ball that drives me crazy.  He's not Kyrie.

2.  Marcus Smart didn't have a great first half, he was 1-7 for 4 pts and 0-4 from 3, but he heated up in the 4th quarter.  In the end he ended up with 19 points on 5-14 (15 pts on 4-7 in the 2nd half) and 2-9 from 3 (2-5 in the 2nd half).  He had 3 rebs and 5 asts (4 in the 2nd half).  His defense was very disruptive the whole game.  He hasn't shown much quality point guard game but his defense is consistent and he looks like he's developing confidence in his shot.

3.  Iverson with 10 points and 5 rebounds, 3 offensive in 23 mins.  He made a few mistakes on PnR defense, he got caught in no-man's land once or twice, but pretty good overall.  Nice vertical defense.  If you can shoot over his 7'0 frame, good, but you didn't push him away.  He was GAME high 10 points at halftime.  I never thought, between Moser and Smart and Payton and Gordon I'd be saying that.  GAME high scorer, not just Celtic high.  A 16' baseline jumper (without the jump, more of an "up on his toes") which is showing he can hit, a cut to the basket with an assist from Smart, a layup from an assist by Pressey (before Pressey forgot he was a point guard and decided to see how it feels to be KoME) and muscle rebound back up and in and 2-2 from the line with nice strokes.  4-5 from the field for the game.  A good game for Iverson.  I'd say he's 2-2 this week.  His first game and this one were pretty good.  The two middle games were forgettable for all of them.

4.  Moser had a couple of offensive fouls and a couple of travels for his 4 TOs but he was the most consistent scorer.  He's the Dionte Christmas of this year's team.

5.  Babb started and drew 6'9" Aaron Gordon as a defensive assignment.  Talk about getting thrown into the fire.  8 points on 2-7 but really, really ferocious defense.  Gordon had 7 points on 3-10.  He had 8 rebounds but that's nothing about Babb.  I think Babb's gone, with the Thornton addition, but man is he playing defense in Orlando.

6.  We had 5 players in double digits (would have been 6 if Pressey hadn't been colder than a Russian hooker working a corner at St. Basil's in January).

7.  The coaching disturbed me.  Too many 3s, nothing inside.  If Larranagga is just doing Stevens' playbook I'm going to go crazy next year, and it's not a long trip for me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando Empty Re: Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando

Post by Sam Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm re-posting what I said on the Game-on Thread after the game was over. I've been without computer service for two days but have not missed a game.

So far, my assessment is pretty simple.  Iverson and Moser (and possibly Babb) are the only players who look like honest-to-goodness players out there.

Yes, I appreciate the push of the ball by Pressey, but I don't sense any offensive organization when he's in there.  Yes, it could very well be largely due to unfamiliarity with his teammates, and he has pulled off a couple of nice pl,kays with his buddy, Olynyk.  But it's not his teammates who are making him force up three after three and launch drive after drive into traffic.

Yes, I appreciate Smart's defensive talents, which we really need because we don't have a good defensive shooting guard, right?  Oh wait!  But his game is a strength game, and I guess I'd like to see more of a balance between strength and finesse.  He's sort of like Bam Bam of the Flintstones.  He bangs away and bangs away until he finally has taken enough shots so that he's gotten his double dights, and he is in a virtual tie with Phil in terms of shooting ridiculously low-percentage threes at a high rare.

But good volume basketball is not synonymous with simply shooting a lot of shots.  It involves catching the defense before it's set and getting more open shots as a result.  I'm just not a fan of his shooting touch, and he'll have to convince me of his prowess as a floor general.

Babb's a really tenacious defender, has a pretty decent shooting touch, and can drive effectively to the hoop.  Moser and Iverson are tied as my favorite summer players.  I realize this doesn't mean they'll be anything like my favorite winter players, given the difference in competition.  But they're both playing like they know their positions (and, in Moser's case, I think he could play either 3 or 4).  Moser is a real perimeter thread but also takes it to the hoop quite well, and he had a couple of consecutive steals today that were textbook examples of how to get into the passing lane.  Iverson has a little pop shot, he'd adequate (not as great as I'd hoped) in the rebounding department, he clogs the middle well, and he blew me away again today with his passing.  During a series of plays in which the Celtics did nothing but hoist wayward bombs, he was the only one who made an entry pass (crisp and on target) for a basket.  His toughness is not quite as evident as I'd expected, but his free throw shooting is better than I'd expected.

By the way, I'm excepting Kelly Olynyk from this analysis.  He has continued to show the expanding skills he demonstrated toward the latter stages of last season.  If there's a Celtics big who should be shooting threes, it's Kelly, not Sully.  Maybe Moser too, depending on how the chips fall roster-wise.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando Empty Re: Post Game Summer League Game 4 vs Orlando

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:18 pm

1.  Babb should get an assist on the first bucket by Iverson.  He got a hand on the rebound and it bounced to Colton who corralled it and laid it in.  Good position by both players.

2.  Iverson with the cut from the 3pt line down for a layup +1

3.  Babb coast-to-coast +1 @ 1:40

4.  Smart's sportcenter layup @ 3:45-3:55

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down