pete
RosalieTCeltics
Sam
k_j_88
tjmakz
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics signing Evan Turner? Empty Celtics signing Evan Turner?

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Interesting move by the Celtics if it's true.
Not sure what the master plan is in getting another shooting guard...
I know he can play SF but his main position is SG.

Celtics finishing deal for FA Evan Turner, sources tell Herald. He will get a portion of their mid-level exception.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz388ddVJfu
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Celtics signing Evan Turner? Empty Re: Celtics signing Evan Turner?

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Not a move I understand...unless there's another trade.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Could it mean a Love deal is still a possibility?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:33 pm

finalizing deal now. on Celtic Blog
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:32 pm

sam wrote:Could it mean a Love deal is still a possibility?

Sam

Perhaps there is a package in place? It's anyone's guess.

I could see Thornton, Bass, Turner and maybe some draft picks.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Hey BobH where are you when we need the theories????

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

I believe there is something in the works, maybe not Love.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember Danny ever acquiring so many players that can play the same position before. If so, this is fascinating to watch & wonder what he is up to.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:14 pm

It really is, isn't it? He has everyone wondering what the heck is going on. Must be great to sit in his spot and listen to everyone!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Turner can play but has an attitude problem. DA is working on another deal. But I think ET is a keeper.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Question

Including Turner does that make 15 or 16 guranteed contracts?

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Johnson and Babb are not on guaranteed contracts I believe.

Does this also mean that Young May end up in the D league to start the season?

7 guards right now
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Turner probably fits in at small forward for the Cs. He's light for the position but he's played it quite a bit in the NBA. Other than Green, there isn't much at the position. Wallace is pretty much done. James Young and Chris Johnson are both at this point light and inexperienced for the position. It's a good roll for Turner where he can provide some scoring ability off the bench much like Thornton provides at SG. This pickup is reminiscent of the Ricky Davis pickup, a nice scoring reclamation project.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Kyle,

Excellent comparison with Ricky Davis, right down to the personality issues.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Dennis Johnson had an attitude problem at the end of his stay in Seattle, but he seemed to work out okay in his next stop.

The main (only?) reason Evan Turner has this label is because of how poorly things went in Indy after he was traded there, but I don't see how he can be blamed for the Pacers crashing and burning.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Is oden available?

Kelly green is starting to look scarlet and greyer all the time...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Hey BobH where are you when we need the theories????

Rosalie

Rosalie,

There's a fine line, like a draftsman's pencil, between theories and conspiracies.  Without my glasses I can't see it.

I'm going to take a look at this a bit more closely tomorrow.  Roster comparisons, roster needs, etc.

If/when ET signs and we know the $ we'll be able to play Wheel of Fortune with the trade machine.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm sure there are lots of scouting reports on Turner. But I happened to find this abbreviated one on Hoops Hype:

Talented offensive player... Good ballhandler... Great slasher and finisher... Excellent rebounder for his position... Nice defender... Not a big threat from the three-point line... Average Athlete.

Thirteen words stand out to me: good ballhandler, great slasher and finisher, excellent rebounder for his position, nice defender. To me, that sounds like just what the Celtics need more of. The fact that he's not a big threat from three-point land is actually a plus in my book because I've had it with the number of threes this team hoists, and I'd much rather he'd be sticking to business in the interior.

The sleeper description for me is "good ballhandler." I remember remarking how so many of the Spurs handled the ball well, in contrast to the Celtics. Whether in transition or in the halfcourt, whether well spaced or in a motion offense, good ballhandling is of paramount importance. I don't count Bradley, Green, or Bass as good ballhandlers. I don't know that much about Thornton. But the more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 am

Hi,
What're details of ET' contract?
Thanks.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am

Good ball handlers on the Celtics -
Rondo -PG
ET - SF
Kelly - - PF
Zeller - C

Anyone see a pattern developing?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am

Jeremy Lundblad @JLundbladESPN
Follow
Among the 74 players with 8,000+ minutes over the last 4 seasons, Evan Turner ranks 74th in PER
2:10 PM - 21 Jul 2014

Normally I can't stand PER as a stat since it understates defense but if Turner's PER is that bad without taking into defense, and he's not known for his defense, he's pretty bad.

My opinion of Turner from watching him is that he is primarily a slasher, good in the full court with a mediocre mid-range game.  His defense is half-hearted.  His biggest problem, however, seems to be his attitude.  He was the #2 pick in the 2010 draft and he thinks that means he should be catered to.  Perhaps being shipped to Indy for Danny Granger (who is immediately cut), was not resigned by Indy and is now signing with Boston for part of the MLE, has let some of the air out of his balloon.  There is probably no greater learning experience than being fired/cut/waived/released.  It really makes you stop and wonder "WTF did I do?" while getting promoted often involves much less introspection.  Evan Turner just got "fired" twice in one year and his new job isn't as good as either of his previous two.

He has had some very good games against us, but that's not a reason to sign someone.  The reason to sign someone is because he fills a need and/or because he has very good games against our top rivals.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turneev01.html

We could use depth at 3, with Wallace coming off of knee surgery.  That means Johnson, Young or Turner.  Three players for 1 slot.  We are loaded at 2, which Turner can also play.

Minnesota, on the working assumption that Danny is signing players that Flip wants, has Kevin Martin, Alexey Schved, Shabazz Mohammed and Zach Lavine at SG and Chase Budinger, Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer at SF.  I don't doubt Flip would love to flip either Budinger ($5M this year with a player option next year; knee and ankle injuries which have limited him to 64 games total in 2 years in Minny) or Kevin Martin ($6.8M this year and another 2 years $14.4M total; very good shooter but uni-dimensional) to us.  Evan Turner would be an upgrade for either of them and, since he's signing for part of our MLE, he'd be cheaper than either one.  He'd also have a chance to compete for a starting spot vs Brewer.  He'd have no shot vs Jeff Green.  Green is up and Green is down, and that drives us crazy, but he plays both ends better than Turner.

So, any deal with Minny would almost certainly have to include Bass since with Hump now in DC, no other Celtic PF's contract is big enough to make the numbers work with any significant impact.  On the other hand, Sully or Kelly (let's say $2M) plus Bogans ($5M, instantly cut) plus Bradley ($8-9M) plus picks gets us close.  We have a $4.3M TPE from the Hump deal, maybe that can be used to make the numbers work or we throw in Babb/Johnson for $1-2M of unguaranteed contracts and that closes the gap significantly for Love and Budinger or Martin (Danny would argue for Budinger who only has two years left, Flip would want to give us Martin with his 3 years, $21M).  I know that Bradley would be more overkill at 2 for them, but he's the best defender at 2 they will have and he's an established NBA player with upside, which it is said Flip is looking for.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 am

worcester wrote:Good ball handlers on the Celtics -
Rondo -PG
ET - SF
Kelly - - PF
Zeller - C

Anyone see a pattern developing?

worcester,

Ballhandlers at every position. Hmmm, didn't we just see a team in the playoffs who had that? They seemed to do pretty well.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 am

I'm still not happy with our SG or SF ball handlers, and I doubt ET will stay with us. Sure like the Spurs model we seem to be emulating though.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Bob,

I've been watching that pattern, and those are the four guys I see exemplifying it, although I could also include Pressey.  Perhaps Smart will join the group, but that high dribble just has to go.  I'd say my two biggest concerns on the club in terms of ball-handling are Bradley and Bass.  Perhaps what Danny does with those two will be a good indication of the identity he's going for with this year's edition of the Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

I've been watching that pattern, and those are the four guys I see exemplifying it, although I could also include Pressey.  Perhaps Smart will join the group, but that high dribble just has to go.  I'd say my two biggest concerns on the club in terms of ball-handling are Bradley and Bass.  Perhaps what Danny does with those two will be a good indication of the identity he's going for with this year's edition of the Celtics.

Sam

sam,

Bass is the modern day Celtic in the mold of Kevin McHale. Highly effective inside, has moves from the outside to get him inside (in McHale's case it was his drop step, in Bass' it is his left-handed, drive left power drive that finishes with a 2-handed dunk. Have you noticed he just about always drives left?) and a dependable mid-range jump shot that makes everything else possible. Also, like McHale, I don't expect to see Bass pass nor do I expect to see him as someone the offense can run through by drawing double teams or by putting it on the floor in a motion offense. That's much, much more like Kelly.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:02 pm

A little squib about the Turner deal may shed some light on why the personality/disposition aspect of his personality might undergo an improvement with the Celtics.

Sam

"Turner played at Ohio State for Stevens’ former Butler boss, Thad Matta, and coaching appears to have played a major role in Turner’s decision. 'There are teams that offered him one-year deals. There are teams that offered him multi-year deals,' said Falk. 'But I think the deal here is secondary to the environment. “Boston all along has been probably our No. 1 destination. I felt what Evan needed was to kind of replicate the relationship that he had with coach Brett Brown in Philadelphia. ... We were really looking mostly for an environment MORECeltics signing Evan Turner? Arrow-10x10 than geography.'" Boston Herald.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next