Marcus Smarts projection.

+4
steve3344
bobheckler
mrkleen09
international
8 posters

Go down

Marcus Smarts projection. Empty Marcus Smarts projection.

Post by international Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:24 pm

http://www.rotowire.com/blog/marcus-smart-2014-rookie-projection/

international

Back to top Go down

Marcus Smarts projection. Empty Re: Marcus Smarts projection.

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Pretty solid analysis. I dont see how Iman Shumpert is anything like Smart or Tyreke Evans - so not sure I am buying that comparison. But overall, it is well done.

I think Smart is going to be a beast in the NBA for years to come - a Chauncey Billups type player, who will punish his opponent on both ends of the floor. Very excited to have him in green.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the link, International, but I'm not buying what he's selling. Here's why:

1. They keep adjusting for "Celtics pace", but our pace next year will be different than last year if for no other reason we'll have Marcus Smart. We'll also have another year of Stevens' uptempo style and Sully with maybe 20 pounds less to lug around. He's using past stats to predict future results. He compounds it by mixing and matching Evans' college stats and his pro stats when the difference between his college team and Sacto are huge.

2. Tyreke "the freak" Evans really was a helluva ball player in Sacto, but he was also a ME-baller. That might be understandable, given the talent surrounding him, but being a ME-baller affects his stats and his game. If he tries to be a ME-baller here, Stevens will have a chat with him and that will end that. Tyreke was the Kobe Bryant of Sacto. Nobody had chats like that with him because everybody knew he WAS the team.

3. Dion Waiters is a shooter. Smart will shoot, but that's not his primarily focus and it sure as hell is Waiter's. If Smart plays a lot of point next to Bradley or Thornton does anybody really expect him to score like Waiters? And shall we compare their defenses? So, how is Smart like Waiters?

4. Lastly, I hate fantasy leagues and the author admits that's the purpose of the article, to establish what the relative value of a player would be in a fantasy league. He admits Smart ranks poorly but, since you win in fantasy land by overachieving, that makes Smart look like a good pick. Fantasy leagues operate solely on the individual stats of each player and basketball is a team sport. Can you imagine how poorly Bill Russell would have ranked in a fantasy league?

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to watching Marcus Smart grow up before our eyes. We can pooh-pooh his shooting stats (which will improve over time), we can roll our eyes on his passing decisions (which will improve over time) but there are two things that you read and see about him that are universal constants that nobody disputes: he defends like like a junkyard dog on a bone and he is a strong competitor with already noticeable leadership qualities.

To make it in the league, I believe you have to have a skill that ranks you among the best in that area. If you have two skills like that you're on your way to being an All-Star. Kevin Love can't defend for shite, but he can shoot lights out and he can rebound with the best of them. Rondo is one of the league's premier passers and he can defend (although he doesn't always do it) and he is a very good rebounder for his position. Bradley has made a name for himself by being a superior on-the-ball defender and has now earning himself kudos for being able to knock down jumpers. I see Smart as having Bradley's defense (without having to wait 1 1/2 years for his confidence to come up. There's nothing wrong with Marcus Smart's confidence), better ballhandling and court vision. I've said, on another thread, that Smart could be another Dennis Johnson, an elite defender who could run an offense even though it wasn't his true calling, a great competitor and rebounder for his position and who could hit the open jumper in the clutch.

The author only compares Smart to current players since it's all about current fantasy league players. My fantasy league has a wider, deeper, further horizon than that little June bug's. I'm just fine with Marcus Smart becoming the next DJ. Oh yes, I surely am.

I'm good with Chauncey Billups too. Billups has a ring.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:Thanks for the link, International, but I'm not buying what he's selling.  Here's why:

1.  They keep adjusting for "Celtics pace", but our pace next year will be different than last year if for no other reason we'll have Marcus Smart.  We'll also have another year of Stevens' uptempo style and Sully with maybe 20 pounds less to lug around.  He's using past stats to predict future results.  He compounds it by mixing and matching Evans' college stats and his pro stats when the difference between his college team and Sacto are huge.

2.  Tyreke "the freak" Evans really was a helluva ball player in Sacto, but he was also a ME-baller.  That might be understandable, given the talent surrounding him, but being a ME-baller affects his stats and his game.  If he tries to be a ME-baller here, Stevens will have a chat with him and that will end that.  Tyreke was the Kobe Bryant of Sacto.  Nobody had chats like that with him because everybody knew he WAS the team.

3.  Dion Waiters is a shooter.  Smart will shoot, but that's not his primarily focus and it sure as hell is Waiter's.  If Smart plays a lot of point next to Bradley or Thornton does anybody really expect him to score like Waiters?  And shall we compare their defenses?  So, how is Smart like Waiters?

4.  Lastly, I hate fantasy leagues and the author admits that's the purpose of the article, to establish what the relative value of a player would be in a fantasy league.  He admits Smart ranks poorly but, since you win in fantasy land by overachieving, that makes Smart look like a good pick.  Fantasy leagues operate solely on the individual stats of each player and basketball is a team sport.  Can you imagine how poorly Bill Russell would have ranked in a fantasy league?

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to watching Marcus Smart grow up before our eyes.  We can pooh-pooh his shooting stats (which will improve over time), we can roll our eyes on his passing decisions (which will improve over time) but there are two things that you read and see about him that are universal constants that nobody disputes:  he defends like like a junkyard dog on a bone and he is a strong competitor with already noticeable leadership qualities.

To make it in the league, I believe you have to have a skill that ranks you among the best in that area.  If you have two skills like that you're on your way to being an All-Star.  Kevin Love can't defend for shite, but he can shoot lights out and he can rebound with the best of them.  Rondo is one of the league's premier passers and he can defend (although he doesn't always do it) and he is a very good rebounder for his position.  Bradley has made a name for himself by being a superior on-the-ball defender and has now earning himself kudos for being able to knock down jumpers.  I see Smart as having Bradley's defense (without having to wait 1 1/2 years for his confidence to come up.  There's nothing wrong with Marcus Smart's confidence), better ballhandling and court vision.  I've said, on another thread, that Smart could be another Dennis Johnson, an elite defender who could run an offense even though it wasn't his true calling, a great competitor and rebounder for his position and who could hit the open jumper in the clutch.  

The author only compares Smart to current players since it's all about current fantasy league players.  My fantasy league has a wider, deeper, further horizon than that little June bug's.  I'm just fine with Marcus Smart becoming the next DJ.  Oh yes, I surely am.  

I'm good with Chauncey Billups too.  Billups has a ring.

bob

And DJ's a Hall of Famer.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Hey bob ran into this thread late, great post, I like Smart hes a defensive stopper and looking forward to see how his offensive game develops. In a league with so many great point guards, its great we have so much defensive talent and depth. If Rondo is motivated to pick up his defense like he used to play in years past, we are gonna be a real terror for opposing backcourts. In which previous thread did you compare Smart to DJ?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Mrkleen,

Great to see you posting.  Can I assume that means you're getting more sleep lately?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 am

Barely Sam.....just here looking around and was excited by the Marcus Smart talk. I think he will be a long term member of the green.

Hope you are well.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:37 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Hey bob ran into this thread late, great post, I like Smart hes a defensive stopper and looking forward to see how his offensive game develops. In a league with so many great point guards, its great we have so much defensive talent and depth. If Rondo is motivated to pick up his defense like he used to play in years past, we are gonna be a real terror for opposing backcourts. In which previous thread did you compare Smart to DJ?

Cow,

I said Smart could possibly become like DJ, due to his physical similarity and defensive mindset. I would never say a 20 year old who has never laced up an NBA sneaker is like a HOFer, Champion and one of the best defenders of his time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 am

Mrkleen,

Doing okay, thanks.  I hope you and the family have been enjoying the nice summer weather we've been having in general.  My best to Erin, and give the baby a hug for us.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:16 am

Will do and thanks for always saying hi to Erin and Owen.  Means a lot to us.

Marcus Smarts projection. Owen-b10
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 am

Nice photo, though I'm not sure the warning is all that necessary. He seems pretty harmless in the photo.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks Outside....that warning is actually for the girls at the park, but you can also take heed if you like Smile
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 pm

Warning, chick-magnet BabyKleen14 is looking at you!!

Looking good, Kleen!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 pm

Holy cow, what a good looking young man!  Nothing but joy coming out of that face.  May he always have that countenance.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down