gyso
RosalieTCeltics
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
kdp59
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Rondo did what? - Page 4 Empty Re: Rondo did what?

Post by k_j_88 Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Just a question but... if a non-credible statement comes from either a credible journalist, or a non-credible journalist, why are we even splitting hairs about why it's appropriate for one and not appropriate for another? Shouldn't we be fair in that judgment? If Stephen A. says something stupid, and if Jackie MacMullan says something stupid, I'm weighing their comments EVENLY.

MacMullan shouldn't have said it as she said it. Period.

And TJ,

Your point on Pierce is not a relevant comparison. Rondo is still in his prime, whereas Pierce was noticeably past his in 2013. The decision to trade Pierce was essentially a no-brainer. With Rondo, there is still at least a window of opportunity to build around him.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:18 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm

BOB,

Laughing My Axx Off..............Let's put this baby to bed!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Too much! A little laughter makes things lighten up!

Thanks Bob!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Mrkleen,

I am most specifically not "friends with Jackie." I have met her exactly once and explained the circumstance in a post you now allege to recall in detail. We happened to sit beside one another at a Red Sox luncheon at which she was the speaker, and I enjoyed conversing with her for more than an hour on a variety of topics. She seemed to welcome the conversation, but perhaps she was just being nice. That was the end of it.

My respect for Jackie is based not of any "friendship" but, rather, on her track record to which I have alluded and her widespread and time-tested credibility. Your "sainted" remark is hyperbolic and unwarranted.

Any aspersions about my ability to be objective on this matter are completely unfounded. If I felt her to be culpable in the slightest, i would say so as readily as I criticize aspects of my beloved Celtics that I feel deserve criticism.

A very strong opinion on the board seems to be that Jackie was ill-advised in saying what she did. And the rush to judgment has become such a fetish that I still can't get anyone to take a break and tell me what Jackie said that was so objectionable—even if she knew it could be aired.

Okay, fine; I can respond with my own brand of belaboring as well as anyone else:

• She expressed an opinion and it became public.

• That's what journalists do.

• Unlike many other journalists, her opinions have an unusually good track record of being well-informed.

• She didn't defame anyone, including Rondo.

• She doesn't have to reveal sources. Concealing the identities of sources is common practice in her industry.

• She didn't do one single thing outside the bounds of acceptable journalism, even if the means of communication was unorthodox through no fault of Jackie.

I think Rosalie hit the nail on the head. Jackie said what she did in the way she did because she considers Rondo's very possible departure such shopworn news that she's sick of entertaining it and wants it ended.

Anyway, my friend, you're certainly entitled to her opinion. Which, I guess, is more than can be said of Jackie.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Sorry I misunderstood your relationship with Jackie MacMullan, Sam.  I thought you were a friend of hers.  

In retrospect, that makes the first point of contention that surrounds her even more flabbergasting (not sure that is a word) and makes me think even less of her.

Who sits next to a stranger at a luncheon and proclaims that they know for a fact that Reggie Lewis (a former Captain of the Boston Celtics and hometown hero) died of a cocaine overdose?  If we want to talk about defaming anyone, maybe we should start there. I am still waiting for an article where she went on the record to defend that slanderous statement. Not holding my breath on that one.

As for the Rondo thing, I am over it.  She spoke out of school and has since gone to hide in the corner, while the spin team at ESPN swooped in to clean up her mess.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:22 am

I am really pissed she would say something to anyone about Reggie Lewis when he obviously cannot defend himself, who does that? I have to assume she hasn't said that to too many people. If I'm her boss and I ever hear she is defaming a deceased Celtic like Reggie, I don't care who she is or thinks she is I WOULD FIRE HER IN A SECOND!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:51 am

Did she write an article saying that Reggie Lewis died from a cocaine overdose?  Did she say that to a stranger at a lunch counter?

Did I miss something?

I thought that it was a reporter for the Wall Street Journal who wrote a story saying that cocaine use was a big factor in Lewis's death.

Here's a link to a story about the WSJ story and MacMullan was not on the byline:

http://ajrarchive.org/Article.asp?id=3514

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 am

And here is a link to an article that conclusively says drugs were NOT the cause of death.....with facts taken from the actual autopsy and coroners notes. After the Celtics filed a 100 million dollar lawsuit the against the Wall St Journal for proving exactly ZERO, they shut up real quick.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/05/sports/pro-basketball-autopsy-shows-that-lewis-had-enlarged-and-scarred-heart.html

This is something the has rubbed me the wrong way for years now....however, at the time we all sort of agreed to disagree and move on.  I dont wish to reopen this wound, so would rather just conclude by saying that to this day, the only evidence of Reggie Lewis dying from Cocaine use is nothing more than hearsay and conjecture.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:57 am

No desire to reopen an old wound. Jackie MacMullan had nothing to do with the WSJ story, right?

When did she say that she knew Lewis died from a cocaine overdose? What lunch counter was it?

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:55 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Sorry I misunderstood your relationship with Jackie MacMullan, Sam.  I thought you were a friend of hers.  

In retrospect, that makes the first point of contention that surrounds her even more flabbergasting (not sure that is a word) and makes me think even less of her.

Who sits next to a stranger at a luncheon and proclaims that they know for a fact that Reggie Lewis (a former Captain of the Boston Celtics and hometown hero) died of a cocaine overdose?  If we want to talk about defaming anyone, maybe we should start there.  I am still waiting for an article where she went on the record to defend that slanderous statement.  Not holding my breath on that one.

As for the Rondo thing, I am over it.  She spoke out of school and has since gone to hide in the corner, while the spin team at ESPN swooped in to clean up her mess.

Did Jackie tell someone or write somewhere that Lewis died of a cocaine overdose?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 am

There was a special dedicated to Reggie on his 20th anniversary of his death. There was a panel talking all about him, mostly about  what a great player he was and what happened. On that show she talked about his death, saying that he did do coke and so on. I found it strange that she would come out and say this on television. There is no proof, and he is not here to defend himself. So, let him rest in peace, why drag this up?  Anyway, again it was a situation where she was involved in a conversation and spoke out without fact. 

I have always liked Jackie Mac and respected her for the way she carries herself, but these are two times when I wish she would have just kept her mouth shut.  She's lucky Donna Lewis didn't go after her. 

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:48 pm

I don't know what the truth is about Reggie and I don't care to know, Jackie in her quest to do her job and a person in her position could easily stumble into the truth on alot of sports stories and dark sports tragedies. She probably didn't have a moment to sit down and analyze the ramifications, in other words she was doing her job, too us its painful to hear too much information as we can all relate to the great Reggie Lewis.

He was the heir apparent, the one bright star player to build around after the inevitable decline of the real Big 3. I used to love seeing him torch Reggie Miller and he always gave a good account of himself against MJ....did we really know him? doesn't matter we felt like we did, he was such a good natured relateable kid. So it pains us even more to hear hearsay about him after such a tragic ending to one so beloved. Less is more, it would have been much better not to go there Jackie.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Why on earth would Danny want such a trade?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Why on earth would Danny want such a trade?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4