In Focus: Marcus Smart's Defense

+2
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

In Focus:  Marcus Smart's Defense Empty In Focus: Marcus Smart's Defense

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714586/in-focus-smarts-defense

In focus: Smart's defense

September, 4, 2014
Sep 4 9:15 AM ET

By  Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

In Focus:  Marcus Smart's Defense Bos_g_smart_b1_576x324

Marcus Smart
Ethan Miller/Getty Images

On Wednesday, Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix Tweeted how scouts consider Boston Celtics rookie guard Marcus Smart the potential next "great perimeter defender." Smart's defensive potential isn't in question, but it did get us wondering just how well he graded out last season during his sophomore season at Oklahoma State.

A handful of stats that stand out while examining the defensive stats logged by Synergy Sports:

• Of the 279 Division 1 players that defended at least 250 possessions last season, Smart ranked fourth while allowing a mere 0.655 points per play, according to Synergy Sports data. Opponents shot just 27.6 percent against him overall. Smart also created turnovers on 13.9 percent of those total plays defended, a number that ranked him in the top quarter of that same sample.

• Sticking with that same sample, Smart ranked fifth in score percentage (the percentage of possessions that finished with points) with opponents scoring on just 29 percent of total possessions last season. The average was 36.1 percent.

• Zoom in on Smart in strictly man-to-man situations and his numbers improved even more. Smart allowed 0.618 points per possession, a number that ranked in the 95th percentile among all defenders. Of those with at least 225 defended possessions in man-to-man defense, Smart ranked fifth overall among 243 qualifiers.

• The number that jumps out most in Synergy's play-type breakdown: Smart in post-up situations. Maybe showcasing his physicality, Smart allowed a mere 0.545 points per play defending in the post, while creating turnovers on 31.8 percent of those possessions (albeit, a small sample of just 22 possessions defended).

With all numbers, we remind you to take into consideration that Synergy numbers grade only possessions finished as it's almost impossible to fully quantify Smart's perimeter defense (for instance, he doesn't get credit in a situation where his defense forces the shot clock low and another player takes the late-clock shot).

But the bottom line is that last season's sample as a whole reflects well on him as a defender, as did his glimpses at summer league (though his Synergy numbers weren't nearly as glossy; as he allowed 0.792 points per play overall in a small sample of 53 total possessions finished).

Our friend Jay King over at MassLive.com did a nice job rounding up some quotes from the summer where Celtics coaches/players gushed about Smart's defensive potential.   MY NOTE:  This article was posted yesterday on its own thread. http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/09/marcus_smart_of_boston_celtics_3.html

bob
MY NOTE:  Forsberg bringing up the rear with the gear on the latest round of "Marcus Smart could have single-handedly stopped Pearl Harbor" articles.  I think it's funny that he uses a picture of Smart with the ball, as opposed to defending, against a pre-teen.  Nice choice, Chris, it really fits in with the thrust of your article.  

Synergy Sports has become the gold standard of sports metric systems.  Unfortunately, as this article notes, it doesn't take into account defense that takes down the shot clock, which is also one of Bradley's specialties.  We watch for those things, though, being the high BBIQ board that we are and we'll see how everybody's defensive numbers go up because the "Tasmanian Devils" put the offense in a position where they don't even begin their offensive sets until there are only 12-15 seconds left on the clock.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

In Focus:  Marcus Smart's Defense Empty Re: In Focus: Marcus Smart's Defense

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Were looking real good if Rondo is the 3rd best defender on his own team in the backcourt, which right now appears the case and hes been first team all NBA defensive twice.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey, NYCelt. Doesn't the young fella "defending" Smart sort of resemble Michael? I know you and Michael travel around to various sporting events. Are you holding out on us? LOL.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:51 pm

sam wrote:Hey, NYCelt.  Doesn't the young fella "defending" Smart sort of resemble Michael?  I know you and Michael travel around to various sporting events.  Are you holding out on us?  LOL.

Sam

He really does bear some resemblance!

Against Smart he wouldn't have to fake taking the charge and flop; he'd just fly about 10 rows up.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Forsberg bringing up the rear with the gear on the latest round of "Marcus Smart could have single-handedly stopped Pearl Harbor" articles. I think it's funny that he uses a picture of Smart with the ball, as opposed to defending, against a pre-teen. Nice choice, Chris, it really fits in with the thrust of your article.

lol!

Most hilarious thing I've seen all day. Thank you.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:24 pm

NYCelt wrote:
sam wrote:Hey, NYCelt.  Doesn't the young fella "defending" Smart sort of resemble Michael?  I know you and Michael travel around to various sporting events.  Are you holding out on us?  LOL.

Sam

He really does bear some resemblance!

Against Smart he wouldn't have to fake taking the charge and flop; he'd just fly about 10 rows up.
As soon as I saw that pic I thought of an older version of Michael too.
Funny.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down