Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton

5 posters

Go down

Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton Empty Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:27 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/reasons-thinking-about-thornton

Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton

Posted: Sep 04, 2014

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
September 4, 2014

BOSTON – Why isn’t anyone talking about Marcus Thornton?

The sixth-year guard, whom the Celtics acquired from the Nets on July 10, is getting no pub in Boston. Shame on us.

This guy will walk into training camp late next month and immediately be the most explosive scorer in the gym. True story.

Don’t believe that? Here’s why you should.

Thornton is the only Celtics player who can make a claim that he was once a 20-points per game scorer for an NBA team. He averaged 21.3 a night while playing for the Kings in 2010-11.

The following season, Thornton filled it up for Sacramento to the tune of 18.7 PPG. Only one other Celtic has eclipsed that season average at any point in his career. That man is Gerald Wallace, who scored 19.8 PPG during the 2007-08 season.

You might be thinking, “What have you done for me lately?” Or maybe, “He was on a bad team playing against bad opponents.” No worries. This should make you a believer.

Not a single Celtics player notched a more explosive scoring night than Thornton did last season. That should be recent enough.

His 42-point outburst against Indiana on Jan. 24 of last season proved that he can still get buckets, and he can do so against the very best in the world.

That night was pretty magical for Thornton. He torched the Pacers, and in particular, Paul George. Remember, George just so happened to be the second-leading vote getter for the NBA’s All-Defensive First Team last season.

Thornton shot 9-of-16 from the field when George was his primary defender and 16-of-27 from the field overall. He made seven 3-pointers and was perfect from six of the 11 areas of the floor from which he attempted a shot.

George and his Pacers teammates, who finished last season ranked atop the league in opponent field goal percentage, had no answers for Thornton. Thornton made everything from tip-ins to runners to floaters to pull-ups to 3s, and then some.

That last sentence should give you an idea of the depth of his offensive repertoire. He moves well off of the ball, which is how he got himself open for all of those 3-pointers. He’s also sneaky quick off the dribble and can finish in a variety of ways, which is how he scored 14 points in the paint against lane-protectors like Roy Hibbert and David West. These skills allowed Thornton to generate 55.6 percent of his field goals without an assist that night.

What may be even more impressive about those 42 points, which stand as the 11th-most points scored by a single player last season, was that they were tallied with such efficiency. Thornton touched the ball 63 times during that game. Five other players touched the ball more often than he did, and a sixth was only one touch behind.

Getting excited yet? Good. And if you have a few extra minutes, you should watch this playlist of his shots to let it all sink in a little bit more.    http://on.nba.com/1AU9XAv

Now, back to reality. The fact of the matter is that scoring 42 points is not something Thornton is going to do every night. Heck, he’s only reached that number twice during his career. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that he’s a prolific scorer when he’s on the floor.

Thornton notched nine 20-point games last season despite averaging only 24.2 minutes per game over 72 contests. He tallied 16 20-point games the season before, and 26 the season before that. His per-36-minute scoring average of 18.6 last season would have been tops on the C’s.

You see, there are plenty of reasons for us to be talking about Marcus Thornton. The guy can fill it up in bulk, and he’ll do so as a member of the Celtics this season.

bob
MY NOTE:  Maybe one of the reasons I don't think about Marcus Thornton is because I've been reading his embarrassingly stupid tweets and they give me gas.  Oh well, I guess every team needs a designated Ricky Davis or JR Smith.  

Maybe another reason is because he's a 43.1% career shooter who shot 41% last year.  Did he have a night that made angels sing against Indy?  Apparently, but Jeff Green has had some damn good nights too and he's a 44% career shooter who shot 41% last year too and Jeff Green drives me nuts with his inconsistency.  I suppose Thornton will be easier to swallow since he doesn't have the obvious, over-the-top athleticism of Green.  Thornton has the excuse of being less athletic and a bonehead.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/thornma01.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton Empty Re: Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton

Post by k_j_88 Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 pm

So he could score on a horribly bad team like the Kings. He deserves Offensive Player of the Year in that case.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton Empty Re: Reasons To Be Thinking About Thornton

Post by kdp59 Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:24 am

well Bob, IF Stevens can figure out a way for Thornton to play lights out on nights that Green is sleeping on the court....he should win coach of the year.

on the other hand, can someone send a link to this story to the Phoenix Suns front office, please!

he's JUST what they need....LMAO!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:36 am

Jeff averaged 16.9 ppg last year. How is that "sleeping?"

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 pm

I have some reactions from watching the video and some reactions from a statistical perspective.

What I liked from the video were (1) his ability to create shots for himself; (2) his ability to run productive curls (bodes well for a motion offense), and (3) his ability to use picks well (also bodes well for a motion offense).

What I didn't like from the video were (1) his tendency to keep bombing away from outside when the opponent has come behind to threaten for the lead (I seem to recall saying that few times on last season's Game-on Thread) and (2) his failure to realize that he shoots better in wide open situations than when his shot is contested and he has to rely on a little step back that's not very effective.

Another thing I noticed from the video is that Marcus is a rhythm shooter.  When he's feeling it, he's launching it.  He loves to catch and shoot, in which case a floor general who can pass the ball on the money should be a great boon for him.

From his stats, I note that his field goal percentage is highly correlated to the proportion of his shots that are taken from behind the arc. In his five years (I've listed them in order of his three pointers taken as a percentage of all his shots taken:

3-pointers taken---------------------Overall
as % of total shots-------------------FG %

-------49.1%--------------------------39.4% (This was 2013-14)
-------43.1%--------------------------42.9% (This was 2012-13)
-------38.8%--------------------------43.8% (This was 2011-13)
-------35.5%--------------------------45.1% (This was 2009-10)
-------29.7%--------------------------43.4% (This was 2010-11)

It's not perfect correlation, but it's close enough to make the point.  His biggest enemy seems to be his greatest love.  Can you believe how we'd all have gone nuts if any Celtic had taken about half of his shots from behind the arc last season?  Even with Brad apparently encouraging the three-ball?

His lifetime two-point field goal percentage is actually very respectable, at 47.8% (and, by the way, he shoots better than 82% at the line—not a bad guy to have taking your technical free throws).

On balance, I'd say the key to whether this guy could be really helpful will lie in Brad's ability to rein in his love affair with the three—especially regardless of the situation.  A rhythm shooter like he can have unworldly runs and unworldly droughts.  In short, Marcus shows me all the earmarks of a sixth man, who can shoot some adrenalin into the attack by coming off the bench and scoring points in bunches.  I believe he could minimize occasional scoring droughts by laying off the threes and allowing his short game to get him back on track rhythmically.  Whether he has the mentality to make a few logical changes in his game—notably in terms of shot selection—will be up to him.....and Brad.

He could become the Jordan Crawford of this year's team, but with one exception.  Jordan had his moments as floor general pro tem.  Marcus is pretty much of a black hole, averaging just 2.1 assists (lifetime) per 36 minutes.  Or, if his skills and propensities are harnessed in the right way, he could be a very useful player.

Just one more challenge in a season certain to be full of them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Sam...speaking of bombing away, I'm at the US Navy base near Chania right now. Jets are screaming by.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Sam...speaking of bombing away, I'm at the US Navy base near Chania right now. Jets are screaming by.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:04 am

Lucky you, W.  I'd like to be at our favorite Chania restaurant riight now, dancing to Beach Boys music and being treated to some of the best food in the world.  Have a great time, and don't let those jets deafen you.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:24 am

We're issued ear plugs on arrival. No kidding.

Being here makes me so very appreciative of being an American. I think what if this base were run by the Russians, Chinese or Arabs? How would they use such awesome power? Certainly not so benevolently and respectfully as we do. Nowhere close. Then there are the young men and women in uniform here...so dignified, polite and considerate, yes sir this and yes ma'm that. It makes one proud .
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:06 am

W,

It's great to learn about Americans who are fine overseas ambassadors. I think it should be high on the list of priorities of any U.S. citizen who travels elsewhere. Extremely important. Thanks for that report.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:24 am

k_j_88 wrote:Jeff averaged 16.9 ppg last year. How is that "sleeping?"

KJ

I said on nights that Green is sleeping on the court. you know those 4-5 point games we all can't understand that he has (of course he'll score 26 the next game).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:34 am

Jeff must like sleeping on a very hardwood mattress at times.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Hey, W, who's the current beauty in your avatar?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:26 am

That's my grandson...18 months.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:13 pm

W,

Looks like he's waiting for Santa to pop out of the chimney.  Of maybe sizing up the height of a basketball rim.

Good-looking guy.  You must be extremely proud.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I am ...and he speaks 4 languages already...to the cat, the dog, his 3 year old brother and the beginnings of English.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down