Summer Quandaries: Inactive List?

2 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Inactive List? Empty Summer Quandaries: Inactive List?

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:35 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/09/sq14-46-inactive-list.html

Summer Quandaries:  Inactive List? SQ%2B2

If our 15 roster slots are set, it seems to me that the probable inactive list falls out pretty easily..  The general guidelines are determined by team needs--coverage for substitutions and injury potential as well as support for a running game.  The actual who, I see as a set of either/or decisions.  Hopefully these decisions will be determined by the players, by that I mean their play pushes them on or off of the active list.

The basics are five front line players active, two small forwards, and five guards.  Assuming 15 healthy players, the inactives will be either Anthony or Bass, either Young or Thornton, and either Wallace or Turner.  Given that some D-league seasoning is probably a good investment for James Young, I think Turner and Thornton play their way onto or off of the active list.  I hope the determinations are made on defensive effort and team fit.  

One thing seems apparent from looking over these pairs.  There is a real potential for one, or more, of the veterans to react adversely to finding themselves inactive.  In truth, you want them to dislike being inactive, but the key is what form that displeasure takes.  Ideally not making the active list prompts the player to address the weaknesses in their game that are holding them back and to generate the effort in practice to alter their coaches opinion.  And then you have Bogans.  

This is actually a situation in which Ainge’s response last year should continue to provide a positive direction.  Perhaps the message is “make effort not waves.”  Players that might be inclined to create a divisive scene are already on notice that rocking the boat is a quick way to sever ties with the group.  Considering the volatile potential with veterans being passed by younger developing players, it is probably healthy that a precedent is already established.

Only 18 days until training camp.

bob
MY NOTE: I disagree with some of his conclusions. I think Vitor is more likely to be on the inactive list, especially in the beginning, than Bass. Vitor won't be 100% at the start, per him, and I don't see rushing him back and risk him hurting himself again. That's why I'm seeing Anthony play more minutes early in the season and phasing out as the season progresses and Vitor gets his knee and game back. The same is true of Wallace, unless he can show he's close to 100% and the work will help him, I see Turner playing more. I do not see Turner on the inactive list unless he's hurt or is not paying attention when Brad and the coaching staff talk to him or unless he pulls "a Bogans". Assuming no trade of Thornton or anybody else, nor any injuries, James Young will play in the D-League. If Young and rehabbing Vitor or rehabbing Wallace aren't suited up, there's your two inactives. Although, I thought you could only suit up 12? If we have 15, don't we need 3 on the inactive list?

All players want to play, that's why they're players. There is always some tension surrounding the allotment of minutes. It natural and normal.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Inactive List? Empty Re: Summer Quandaries: Inactive List?

Post by tjmakz Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Bob,

The active list was increased from 12 to 13 after the NBA lockout and the league decided to keep it at 13 permanently.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down