Summer Quandaries: Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error

3 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error Empty Summer Quandaries: Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:36 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/09/sq14-49-thornton-projections-have-huge.html

Summer Quandaries:  Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error SQ%2B2

Usually projection accuracy takes on the predictable bell curve with a strong likelihood that the truth of the matter lies somewhere near the middle.  Somehow I don’t think the Marcus Thornton projections for this upcoming season follows this trend.  My bet is that this result will be an outlier.  Things will go really well, or to Hell in a hand basket.  Let me explain with the following two scenarios.

Recipe 1:  Take the confident shooting rookie, leaven with the mature influence of a player who recognizes the importance of defense and teamwork that often dawns belatedly on 5-year veterans.  Add in the driven hustle of a player who sees it all slipping away.  Next mix in a large measure of team-ball orientation produced by the combination of coaching influence plus the benefit of seeing the success of others meshing and enabling one another.  Baste in outside (both peer and superior) recognition for changes in attitude and a sense of belonging.  Allow to steep and rise, then bake in the hot oven of competition.  Makes 82 servings.

Recipe 2:  Same old, same old.  Store at end of bench if quiet, send home otherwise.

Ah, Danny Ainge will make totally unpredictable move and this whole column goes down the toilet as Thornton packs bags and gets airline tickets.

Only 15 days to training camp.

bob
MY NOTE:  Yep, either Thornton will fit in or he won't, or maybe he'll be gone before the season starts.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

My big concern with Thornton is that he cannot/will not accept that he's not getting the solid, predictable minutes he has previously in his career and will either mouth off or be unproductive.  I don't care so much if he's unproductive other than that will make it harder for Danny to trade him.  Remember Hump, Marcus, remember Hump.  Didn't bitch, didn't slouch, just worked his fanny off everyday in practice and earned his starting job and minutes in the game and, when his contract came up for renewal (like yours is next year), got himself a job on a good team.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error Empty Re: Summer Quandaries: Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error

Post by Sam Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:59 pm

As we sift through the various changes this season—the addition of at least four potential—note that I said potential—rotation players (Smart, Thornton, Zeller, Turner ; revised and thankfully more familiar and manageable roles (Sully, Kelly, Green); personal challenges held over from last season (Rondo, Bradley, Faverani, Pressey, Wallace), a certain pattern emerges—a commonality as it were.  In all these cases, the results during the 2014-15 season will depend very largely on how Brad Stevens approaches each situation.  Thornton and Turner could very well be a collective Exhibit A in a test of Brad's people skills.  It seems inarguable that both players have talent.  Will Brad be able to harness those talents within the team concept?  Will he be able to convince both players that assuming certain roles with this team will make them happier and more productive players?  Will he be convincing in terms of  self-discipline of shot selection?  Will he find a way to integrate them into a contagious, team-wide defensive mentality?

Or, for that matter, will they both be with the team on opening night?

Just some more reasons why this should be a fascinating season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error Empty Re: Summer Quandaries: Thornton Projections Have Huge Margin For Error

Post by kdp59 Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:07 pm

recipe 3: send to playoff team that has need of shooting guard and say.....ta-ta!!

get at least a trade exception back or YOUNG player/draft picks.

Note: Same recipe works for Bass.....mmmmmm, tasty!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down