Summer Quandaries: Sullinger; Weight Loss? Check. Conditioning?

5 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Sullinger; Weight Loss?  Check.  Conditioning? Empty Summer Quandaries: Sullinger; Weight Loss? Check. Conditioning?

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/09/sq14-54-sullinger-weight-loss-check.html

Summer Quandaries:  Sullinger; Weight Loss?  Check.  Conditioning? SQ%2B2

Judging by the photographic evidence, Jared Sullinger has indeed dropped some weight.  The next questioning, unlikely to be answered before training camp, is has he substantially improved his conditioning?  If so, not only could he mesh well with a running team and a motion offense, but take some large strides toward fulfilling his considerable upside.

Going by how Kelly Olynyk took the bit in his teeth in last season’s final few games, when his minutes climbed into the 20’s and 30’s rather than the teens, I see him pushing Sullinger for minutes this season.  It will be interesting to see how each responds to this competition.  My own feeling is that each will raise the level of their play and each player as well as the team will benefit.  The fact that each brings quite different strengths to the court bodes well for the flexibility of playing them together or apart.

While Sullinger’s comments have mostly pertained to his staying on the court more minutes, if the Celtics actually commit to the running game, I think each of the four big men in “my” rotation are going to get all the action their lungs will support.  One of the things I have noticed in reviewing some of the Celtics’ play last season is Jared going from the 3-pt line to under the basket while a shot is in the air--this is not the play that a winded or tired, player makes.  Running, both offensively and defensively, begins with immediately breaking into a sprint when the ball changes hands.  While it all starts with a personal and team commitment to running, it is much easier for a player with fresh, or at least not “dead,” legs to produce the effort.  

Commentators often remark about tired legs being the root of erratic shooting.  It has to impact a player’s ability, and motivation, to go get rebounds or loose balls.  It is a key to being able to stay in front of your defensive assignment and to boxing out your opponent’s second and third moves/efforts.  Fatigue in general saps attention, focus, and awareness.  The Boston Celtics of the 60’s and 70’s used the running game to whittle away the oppositions’ ability to play at a high level, and often pulled away in the fourth quarter as the opponent’s stars gave in to exhaustion.  I am eager to see that reborn.

The “relative” depth of this year’s squad can be turned into a real advantage by pressing home the running game and a relentless motion offense.  If so, we can be confident that Brad Stevens will be sensitive to keeping fresh legs on the court.  If Sullinger has built up his conditioning, he can be a leading asset in these efforts (after all, the fast break starts with taking control of the ball--a Jared speciality.)  If not, he can still be an asset, but perhaps for closer to 20 rather than 30 minutes per game.  

One final note, Sullinger has been a real workhorse on the boards.  This is a very high-energy-expenditure activity and to do it consistently will require him to be in peak condition.  Similarly, powering up follow-up shots requires bursts of energy.  To run hard end-to-end and still perform prodigious feats of effort at both ends will mean he must attend to not only his conditioning this off season but also maintain good rest, eating, cardio, and lifting habits throughout the season.  It will be interesting, and I hope fun, to see him conquer these challenges required of a high-order professional athlete.

Be optimistic, but watch for the first signs of hands-on-hips or tugging shorts during the preseason games.  Hopefully he has addressed the areas in which he needs to improve in order to have a breakout season; if so, this is going to fun to watch.

Only 10 more days until the start of training camp.

bob
MY NOTE:  "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" - Vince Lombardi.  Just run, baby, just run.  Up the court, down the court, all over the court.  Make them want to give up first.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Sullinger; Weight Loss?  Check.  Conditioning? Empty Re: Summer Quandaries: Sullinger; Weight Loss? Check. Conditioning?

Post by Sam Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:50 pm

It might be assumed that a "relentless" running game would give the advantage to Kelly rather than Sully in terms of minutes at power forward. However, it could be argued that the reverse is true, as the Celtics will need the ball in order to run, and Sully's unmatched on the Celtics in that regard.  Either of them should be pretty accomplished at outlet passing because of their natural passing skills.

"The Boston Celtics of the 60’s and 70’s used the running game to whittle away the oppositions’ ability to play at a high level, and often pulled away in the fourth quarter as the opponent’s stars gave in to exhaustion.  I am eager to see that reborn."  Ya think?  Lee' you're preaching to the choir, which I assume includes many more than dboss and me.

Yet I still have nagging concerns as to whether Rondo (if he's still with the team) will commit to a "relentless" uptempo game and whether the team's overall rebounding performance will support it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Sullinger; Weight Loss?  Check.  Conditioning? Empty Re: Summer Quandaries: Sullinger; Weight Loss? Check. Conditioning?

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm

And only 18 days until the first pre-season game!

Woohoo!! Real ball! (ok, sorta kinda)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:58 am

Hey, Bob, has this summer felt to you like being in a permanent Turkish bath without losing any weight?  It's seemed like the most dragged-out off-season I can recall.  It seems we've corn beef hashed out everything and then roast beef hashed it out.  It's gotten to the point where we've degenerated into critiquing writers' styles because we've already run the contents through the grinder several times.  I guess the good news is that there has been a high volume of spirited posting, which—after a lackluster season—reflects an amazingly high degree of interest and anticipation.

Go Celtics.  Go by quickly you last 10 days.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

sam wrote:Hey, Bob, has this summer felt to you like being in a permanent Turkish bath without losing any weight?  It's seemed like the most dragged-out off-season I can recall.  It seems we've corn beef hashed out everything and then roast beef hashed it out.  It's gotten to the point where we've degenerated into critiquing writers' styles because we've already run the contents through the grinder several times.  I guess the good news is that there has been a high volume of spirited posting, which—after a lackluster season—reflects an amazingly high degree of interest and anticipation.

Go Celtics.  Go by quickly you last 10 days.

Sam

sam,

The offseason always drags but this one dragged longer because, well, it was longer.

That's why I'm so quick to applaud writers who come up with interesting topics or views on issues, like Lee Lauderdale, and pan writers who recycle pablum, like Blak--y. We've been chewing the same piece of shoe leather week after week, staying engaged by trying it one week with salt, another week with curry and yet another with Bernaise sauce; and then he smugly serves up The Blue Plate Special of...the same old salted shoe leather!

It's starting to look like I could be in the Devil's very own sauna and not lose weight. I'm hoping my upcoming trip will fix that for me. We'll see.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:30 am

I agree; an almost interminable summer. Maybe it's because there was little to celebrate in last season's performance, which has fans looking forward rather than savoring anything recent. I wish the NBA offered a League pass for one team's games, all 82 of them, rather than all or nothing. As for Kelly and Sully; I predict they'll both improve, but I'm tired of predicting. I just want to watch. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 am

Bob and Hawk,

I think you both hit on major points leading to the ennui of the summer.  Length and the taste in the mouth remaining from last season.

Whatever the cause, we'll hopefully be out of our misery soon.

Actually, it was just this kind of summer (back in the LaFrentz days) that drove me to surf the net for mention—any mention—of the Celtics.  That's when I found BDC and chimed in to protest (guess what?) a Celtics historical inaccuracy that had been posted.  More than 31,000 posts later, could it be that I'm back where I started?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 pm

hawksnestbeach wrote:I agree; an almost interminable summer. Maybe it's because there was little to celebrate in last season's performance, which has fans looking forward rather than savoring anything recent. I wish the NBA offered a League pass for one team's games, all 82 of them, rather than all or nothing. As for Kelly and Sully; I predict they'll both improve, but I'm tired of predicting. I just want to watch. Hawk

I believe there were two options for NBA league pass in the past;
1. all games for about $200 and
2. pick five teams for about $100 (or half the cost of the all package).

I hope this is still true, because I am now a little bit out of CSNNE's range.

I will pick the Celtics (mine and one of my son-in-law's team),
the Cavs (another son-in-law's team, he's excited to say the least),
the Knicks (another son-in-law's team, he's sad about his team),
the Pacers (Bird's team) and maybe
the Hornets (my local team because I don't think I have a robust enough cable package to get their equivalent of CSNNE).

I may have to do the Bob Heckler not quite legal live streaming computer virus inducing thing, but I hope not!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:06 pm

gyso,

I have no idea how Bob and others do it.  Streaming tv isn't exactly pleasant on the eyes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:10 pm

sam wrote:gyso,

I have no idea how Bob and others do it.  Streaming tv isn't exactly pleasant on the eyes.

Sam

Sam,

With Bob, it is a labor of love, with heavy emphasis on the labor part!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 pm

gyso wrote:
hawksnestbeach wrote:I agree; an almost interminable summer. Maybe it's because there was little to celebrate in last season's performance, which has fans looking forward rather than savoring anything recent. I wish the NBA offered a League pass for one team's games, all 82 of them, rather than all or nothing. As for Kelly and Sully; I predict they'll both improve, but I'm tired of predicting. I just want to watch. Hawk

I believe there were two options for NBA league pass in the past;
1. all games for about $200 and
2. pick five teams for about $100 (or half the cost of the all package).

I hope this is still true, because I am now a little bit out of CSNNE's range.

I will pick the Celtics (mine and one of my son-in-law's team),
the Cavs (another son-in-law's team, he's excited to say the least),
the Knicks (another son-in-law's team, he's sad about his team),
the Pacers (Bird's team) and maybe
the Hornets (my local team because I don't think I have a robust enough cable package to get their equivalent of CSNNE).

I may have to do the Bob Heckler not quite legal live streaming computer virus inducing thing, but I hope not!!

gyso

Believe the 5 team package is only via the internet ....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/nba-league-pass-team-guide

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Hey Beat, how's the family?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:08 am

beat,

Thanks for the info.  I guess I had to actually do the research to find out what the deal was with NBA League Pass, seeing that I will need it to watch Celtic games this season.  I did and I posted it in another thread.

I hope all is well.  I am headed out your way for another two week visit to Fulton on Sunday.  I am driving up from Charlotte instead of from Maine.  That will add another 3 or so hours to the drive (12 hours total, more or less) so I definitely will be picking out a good book on tape from my stash to listen to on the drive.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down