Lee Lauderdale's Random Thoughts On Media Day

2 posters

Go down

Lee Lauderdale's Random Thoughts On Media Day Empty Lee Lauderdale's Random Thoughts On Media Day

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:27 am

Another Media Day is in the books.  Tomorrow the players will be back at work on the court,  But today, players were posing for the cameras and joking with the media and having a good time before the real work starts.

The best news today was that Leon Powe is back.  I always felt that the Celtics didn't do right by him.  He played hurt for the team because they needed him and then they cut him afterwards.  When you look up the word "heart," there would be a picture of Leon Powe next to it.  Anyway, it was great to see him at Media Day and to learn that he will be working with the Celtics this season in a player development role. With his perseverance and character, he'll be great in that role. Welcome back Leon!!

In other coaching news, Darren Erman has been added to the Celtics coaching staff. Most recently, Erman was second assistant to Mark Jackson in Golden State and was fired for secretly recording meetings between coaches and players. Before his stint with the Warriors, he spent four seasons as an assistant with the Celtics, where he performed scouting duties and worked extensively with players on individual skill development. Also, Ronald Nored, a former player under Brad Stevens, will work as an assistant in Boston in a development role, rather than in Maine, with the Red Claws, like last year.

The star of the day had to be Rajon Rondo, sporting a cast on his injured hand and a black sling. He appeared relaxed and comfortable with the press and answered the questions with humor, including a complete itinerary of his last week right up until the shower fall. Here are a few tidbits from the Captain.

Rondo called Brad Stevens the most positive coach he's ever had and says that Stevens is the one he calls to work out with. So much for the Rondo doesn't get along with his coach theories.

When Rondo was asked if he sees himself as a max-contract player, he didn't hesitate before saying "Yes, I do."

Rondo said he's not worried about Danny Ainge rebuilding a contender because he's done it before.

Rondo, when asked if wants to stay, said yes, and then raved about the organization and the fans and the love he gets in Boston. Then he asked, "Why would I not want to stay here?" He also said he values loyalty.

Rondo said he tested better in conditioning tests this summer than he ever has and thinks he'll be back a lot faster than they're saying. After what he went through with the ACL injury, he said this is nothing.

Rajon Rondo got Danny Ainge to smirk when he said he will try to get no-trade in his next deal to stop the constant trade rumors.

When asked why he thought this would be the best year of his career, Rondo answered, "Because I think I'll be the most disciplined and focused I've ever been in my career. Not just on the court, but off the court as well."

It was interesting that Danny Ainge shared the podium with Rondo. It appears they are both on the same page as far as Rondo staying in Boston. Danny said he wants him to stay and that based on his accomplishments in the league at his age, Rajon Rondo is fair to ask for max contract.

When Rondo said he'd be back much quicker than expected, Ainge interjected that they would be cautious with him. [to which half the Celtics fans said, "See, he's tanking again," and the other half said "Good, so we can finish strong."]

Ainge said he has no reason not to believe Rondo about hos his injury happened because to his knowledge, Rondo has never lied to him before. He also added that he had to spend a night in the ER after slipping in the shower and bumping his head this summer.

According to Danny, Rondo's injury was to his third metacarpal finger is consistent with someone who suffers a fall. They won't investigate any further.

When asked about Marcus Smart being thrown into the fire with Rondo's injury, he said Stevens will need to simplify playbook for Smart: "it's like Peyton Manning giving way to a rookie quarterback." It's interesting that he didn't use Tom Brady for an example.

Along with the Rondo/Ainge highlights, there were other interesting tidbits from both new and returning players.

Lee Lauderdale's Random Thoughts On Media Day Media%2Bday%2B-%2Bevan%2Bturner%2Bat%2Bpodium

Evan Turner said that he picked the Celtics in part because of the way the fans showed up for the Celtics last year, even though the team was struggling. Chalk another one up for Celtics fans! He said that he's over his past four years and ready to move on with a new start with the Celtics. Turner said that he likes the mystique of the Celtics and consistently referred to Danny as Mr. Ainge. He handled the underachiever questions saying that the second pick comes with a responsibility. Turner says he has been talking with Coach Stevens for awhile now to get up to speed with the Celtics system.

Brad Stevens appeared to be focused and ready for the season. He said that Rondo's injury is an opportunity for Smart, Pressey and Turner and he believes that Smart is physically, emotionally and mentally ready. He wants the Celtics to be more aggressive in every way this season and he thinks they need to be a lot better with details. He thought they were average, at best last season with details and aggressiveness. He discussed Sully's 3 point shooting last season and said that when his hand wasn't wrapped up, he shot 34%, which is a really good percentage from beyond the arc.

Stevens said that we shouldn't be surprised if Turner plays some point guard this season, especially with Rondo out. He noted that the year at Ohio State when he played point guard, he was the national player of the year. He also noted that Joel Anthony would be out a few days with a groin strain and that he would be cautious with Gerald Wallace and Vitor Faverani, who are coming back from injury. They may be held out of some parts of practice, especially the two a days, to get rest. He wants the offense to take note from the success of the Spurs and be able to read and react and not be so scripted, which should be right up Rondo's alley.

Jared Sullinger also talked about the dislocated finger that he played with last season. He said that the injury affected his shooting and he expected to be much better this season now that he is healthy. He said that he hadn't stepped on a scale this summer and he didn't think he lost a lot of weight but that the weight just moved to somewhere else. He feels like he's in the best shape of his life but it will take a couple weeks to get to where he wants to be to play big minutes. He said that last year's losing was a nightmare for him and for the competitive guys on team. he said they just want to win.

Heart was mentioned several times during the interviews, especially by Jared Sullinger. He said you can't test heart and that he feels as though his heart is 7'5". He was asked if he thought he could be an All-Star and he responded that his biggest thing isn't individual but that he is all about winning. He has never been concerned with his individual stats or accomplishments. He has always been a team-first guy, and hopefully that heart will translate into a few more wins for the Celtics this season. Gotta love that.

Faverani was his same, loveable self. He said that his mom is here to take care of him so he's perfect. He didn't play any basketball over the summer because of the knee injury, but says he's healthy now. When asked what his favorite part of the game was, he quickly said defense. He loves defense. Have I mentioned lately how much I love players who love defense? Faverani said that the stories about his car accident in Spain are not true and that somebody hit him and it was a minor crash. He said that there was no alcohol involved and joked that the Spanish press was trying to kill him but they couldn't. Gotta love Vitor, El Hombre Indestructible!

Tyler Zeller was excited when he found out he was traded, even though it was just 4 days before his wedding. He credited Brad Stevens as a brilliant basketball mind. Zeller gained 15-20 lbs over the summer and feels that he can hold his own down low better than last season. He's healthy and excited to get started in Boston. He's excited to play with Rondo and called him a phenomenal player.

Marcus Thornton is also excited to play with Rondo and said that he's one of the best point guards in the league. He's also excited to play with Brandon Bass, who grew up in the same area and also went to LSU. He said that KG has a million stories and they are all great. He said that he likes to get up and down the court and is excited to play with a young and energetic team. I haven't watched Thornton play much but was he always that chubby?

Kelly Olynyk said he bulked up a bit over the summer. He spoke highly of his fellow Canadian National teammate, Dwight Powell. Jeff Green was sporting a beard and said that he'd keep his clean and not like James Hardens'. When asked if he'd take Kelly Olynyk to the barber to get a hair cut when he got his beard trimmed and he said no, that Sunshine needs to keep his hair because it's his trademark. Green also wants to get into ESPN Body magazine this year to show off his body and his scar.

And finally, a tidbit from a former Celtic, who is now playing for the Suns. Here is a Gerald Green classic quote: "I got four fingers how am I supposed to hold the ball?" If you remember, Gerald lost part of his ring finger in an accident when he was a kid.

So, those are a few thoughts from Media Day.  Now, on to the real stuff with training camp starting today in earnest.  The first game will be in 6 days, on Monday, October 6 against the Sixers when we will see former Celtics Chris Johnson and Keith Bogans and Evan Turner will face the team that drafted him.  I can't wait.  

bob
MY NOTE:  As I mentioned on the Media Day thread, I was really happy when I heard about Leon Powe being back with the Celtics.  That was the sun shining through a day of the usual ho-hum, "smile for the cameras and say all the right stuff" media day events. 

I missed the whole "Danny on stage with Rondo" implications yesterday.  I mean, I saw them in the picture together, but didn't make an inference.

I didn't know that Turner played point guard when he was Player Of The Year at Ohio State.  I didn't know he was Consensus Player of the Year either, for that matter (2010 - AP, Naismith, Wooden, NABC and Robertson).  Nice pick up, Danny, and such a deal!  A 6'7" point guard, wearing green no less.  I'm looking forward to seeing how well that works.  As long as the howling moonbats are baying conspiracy theories, how 'bout this one; "Evan Turner tripped Rondo so he could get more minutes at point"?

If the most Jeff Green has to say about his off season and hope/expectations for the coming year is that he's going to be attentive to his personal grooming habits and pose topless for a body magazine, I'm disappointed.

Vitor loves defense.  Good, very good.  If he sets some picks on offense that would be good too but I'm liking that he embraces defense first, because I'm not worried about his offense.  Ok, maybe I'm a little worried about his shot selections.  Still, if Vitor steps up on defense then Kelly won't have to play as many minutes at center and that'd be good.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lee Lauderdale's Random Thoughts On Media Day Empty Re: Lee Lauderdale's Random Thoughts On Media Day

Post by Sam Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:55 pm

I assume there will be no danger of an Ermangate with the Celtics.  Nice to see Lee transitioning from analyst to reporter as we move from offseason to preseason.  Not as in-depth as we've become habituated to, but little nuggets sneak through, such as Rondo's intention to return more quickly than anticipated and Turner's revelation about being familiar with the "1" position.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down