PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY

+4
tjmakz
cowens/oldschool
kdp59
8 posters

Go down

PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY Empty PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY

Post by 112288 Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Rapid Reaction: Celtics 111, 76ers 91

ESPNBOSTON

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens suggested before Thursday's game that there was still competition for starting spots in the weeks leading up to the start of the regular season. Avery Bradley promptly went out and reminded everyone that he's got a pretty firm grasp on the shooting guard spot.

Bradley erupted for 20 first-half points on 7-of-11 shooting, which included making 6-of-8 3-pointers, as Boston opened as much as a 24-point lead and never trailed en route to a 111-91 triumph over the host Philadelphia 76ers at Wells Fargo Center.

Stevens had suggested the potential to pair different combinations around point guard Rajon Rondo when he's healthy enough to return from a broken hand. That didn't necessarily suggest that Bradley's spot was in the jeopardy as he's been a consistent two-way threat for Boston this preseason. Bradley got much of the second half off Thursday after helping Boston open a healthy lead.

Here's everything else you need to know from Thursday's game:

• Nitty Gritty: Jared Sullinger scored a team-high 21 points for Boston while connecting on 8-of-10 shots, including 4-of-6 3-pointers. Sullinger has been a very efficient scorer at times this preseason. He added eight rebounds, five assists and two steals to his stat line over 29:44. Jeff Green had 18 points in 31 minutes, while Tyler Zeller chipped in 14 points in another strong reserve performance. The Celtics shot 47.2 percent overall and 40.5 percent beyond the 3-point arc. Tony Wroten and Elliot Williams each had 17 points to pace the 76ers.

• Rotation remains tight: Even on the second night of a back-to-back, Stevens stuck with a tight 10-man rotation for much of the night, suggesting that most competition at this point lingers among those players competing for the majority of minutes. Injuries have eliminated some of Boston's depth and even with a 20-point lead, Stevens played his rotation guys deep into the game. Rookie Dwight Powell and Erik Murphy got some late run, as did the team's trio of camp invites.

• Loose balls: Joel Anthony was the only healthy DNP for Boston ... Bradley, Sullinger and Green were all plus-27 for the game. ... Marcus Smart missed all four shots he took and was held scoreless, but his defense was phenomenal again at times. Smart balanced out four turnovers with six assists and three steals.

• What it means: The Celtics improve to 3-3 on the exhibition season. They'll take Friday off after playing a back-to-back, then practice in New York on Saturday in advance of Sunday's tilt with the Brooklyn Nets. That contest will be an experimental 44-minute game utilizing 11-minute quarters and fewer mandatory timeouts.

Back to top Go down

PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY Empty Re: PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:02 am

"What it means: The Celtics improve to 3-3 on the exhibition season. They'll take Friday off after playing a back-to-back, then practice in New York on Saturday in advance of Sunday's tilt with the Brooklyn Nets. That contest will be an experimental 44-minute game utilizing 11-minute quarters and fewer mandatory timeouts."

it means that we can beat the Philly Generals anytime and the REAL NBA teams every now and then.

I still say Philly is an embarrassment to the NBA and the League should be doing something about it.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY Empty Re: PRESEASON - POST GAME WASHINGTON GENERALS....I MEAN PHILLY

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 am

Philly's frontline couldn't even start in the D-League.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:51 am

In two years a front line of Saric, Noel and Embiid could be pretty awesome.
Philly is terrible right now.
It looks like one more very high draft pick will be made by Philly next summer...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 am

Underwhelmed.  In a word, that's how I feel this morning (and hungover.  I went out for sushi and a lot of sake afterwards).  The Sixers are probably the worst team in the league (although, after watching the 2nd half of the Lakers-Jazz game, I wouldn't put money on it) and we coasted the 2nd half last night ourselves.  With Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel and Jason Richardson all out, this should have been a blow out of Biblical proportions, comparable to the Red Sea obliterating the entire Egyptian army, and yet we actually lost 2 points off our halftime lead.  We still lack the killer instinct allowing them to get 20+ digit leads down to single digits.  I'm not sure that, other than Tony Wroten and KJ McDaniels, the Sixers could be described as a good D-league team.  Ok, some props to Arnett Moultrie and Chris Johnson but the trail grows stone cold after that.  We should have beaten them so badly reporters had to have been kept out of the locker room post-game until the sobbing was gotten under control.

1.  We took 89fgas, not bad, and 37 of them were 3pt fgas.  Live by the 3, die by the 3.  Last night we lived and thrived but that's because the Sixers are still the worst 3pt defending team in the league (they were the worst last year too).  I lost track of how many 3s we took where there wasn't a defender within 3 yards of us.  That won't happen against even a mediocre team.

2.  Another good game by Zeller.  He is really a good PnR player.  He sets solid picks which forces defenders to commit.  After a rocky first few games he is rounding into quite an asset.

3.  Evan Turner had hometown blues (or, at least, "previous team blues").  He couldn't throw the ball in the hoop.  He had 10 assists but also had 8 TOs.

4.  Speaking of TOs, we had 22.  We will lose A LOT of games like that.  The 26-win season being projected by ESPN may be optimistic if we don't cut our TOs way down.

5.  If there was a justified point of pride last night (clubbing a baby harp seal like the Sixers is not a "point of pride") it was that we had 34 assists on 42fgm.  That's an astonishing 81% and is further evidence of just how bad the Sixers defense is.  The army of Genghis Khan marched through a gate in the Great Wall smaller than the holes in the Sixers' defenses.

6.  Going up against future HOFer (time to wake up and smell the sarcasm) Henry Sims, Kelly actually looked like a real NBA center.  14 points on 6-11, including 2-5 from 3, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks and only 1 TO.  I will say one thing, and I'm not being snarky about this, Kelly made an absolutely beautiful touch pass to Zeller who had cut down the lane.  That was, actually, quite a pro play.  If we weren't playing a CYO team that play might have made Sportcenter.

7.  Bradley had 20 points in the first half and then took the 2nd half off.  Well, he played more, he just didn't do more.

8.  They had 23 fast break points.  23.  Have we had 23 fast break points total, all pre-season?  Our transition D leaves much to be desired, and this is not the first game to show that.

9.  The Sixers offense picked up in the 2nd half.  It had to, there was nowhere to go except up.  At halftime they had more TOs (16) than FGM (15).  I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around play that bad.

I can't remember ever being this disillusioned after a win this big.  Sixers head coach Brett Brown and Luc Mbah a Moute weren't even at the game, instead spending it with Joel Embiid, who had just found out his younger brother died in Cameroon.  My sincere condolences to Embiid and his family, it is a tragedy for anybody that young to pass away, but Brown and Moute's absence only serve to accent my disappointment in us.

Crap.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:03 am

tjmakz wrote:In two years a front line of Saric, Noel and Embiid could be pretty awesome.
It looks like one more very high draft pick will be made by Philly next summer...

TJ,

They are 2 years away from being 2 years away.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:08 am

tjmakz wrote:In two years a front line of Saric, Noel and Embiid could be pretty awesome.

OR

Saric could be your typical euro baller

Noel and Embiid could be spneding more time in the training room than on the court

I stil think the NBA shouldn't allow the owners of the 76'ers to field a minor league team in the NBA.

no reason for it and the Commish should force the owners to spend money on REAL NBA players or sell the team.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:31 am

kdp59 wrote:

OR

Saric could be your typical euro baller

Noel and Embiid could be spneding more time in the training room than on the court

I stil think the NBA shouldn't allow the owners of the 76'ers to field a minor league team in the NBA.

no reason for it and  the Commish should force the owners to spend money on REAL NBA players or sell the team.

Every team that is rebuilding has many players that "could be".
Noel and Embiid could be the most feared defensive bigs on the same team in a couple of years.
You might view Philly as a minor league team but they were 3-1 against Boston last season.
There is a reason for what Philly has done. Sacrifice now for a better future.
They have played within the rules.
They might need to answer to their fans and sponsors about their roster, but that's their issue to handle.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Probably batting 1.000 right here.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Think the absolute low point had to be the start of the second half.....Philly ball out of bound under our hoop. Throw it in and there is NO pressure and whoever walked the ball up and just before he gets to midcourt a whistle. I had no clue for a moment then realized it was an 8 second violation. Game clock read 11:51 so the refs were perhaps off just a little.

The poor Philly announcers that were on NBA TV said something like..."We had 1246 turnovers in the first half and this is just what we needed to start the second half."

I'm not sure the are a CYO team.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Philly has a young core with potential -- Embiid, Noel, Carter-Williams, Tony Wroten -- but they'll never get anywhere if all they do in the meantime is instill a culture of losing.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down