Report: C's likely to waive Bynum

+2
Sam
k_j_88
6 posters

Go down

Report: C's likely to waive Bynum Empty Report: C's likely to waive Bynum

Post by k_j_88 Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/18/report-celtics-likely-to-waive-will-bynum-after-acquiring-him-in-trade-with-pistons/

Report: Celtics likely to waive Will Bynum after acquiring him in trade with Pistons

Brett Pollakoff Oct 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Will Bynum has been a somewhat serviceable backup point guard option in Detroit for the last six seasons, but with the team loaded at the position and needing some potential frontcourt depth, the Pistons traded him to the Celtics in exchange for Joel Anthony on Friday.

But the situation for Bynum isn’t any better in Boston, and it’s unlikely he ends up sticking on the roster.

From Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe:

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge and guard Will Bynum are expected to meet on Saturday, according to two NBA sources, and the team is likely to waive Bynum, who was acquired Friday from the Detroit Pistons. …

The Celtics still have 16 guaranteed contracts, including that of rookie Dwight Powell, and just 15 roster spots. So Ainge will have to waive a player with a guaranteed deal or make a trade to reduce before the season opener Oct. 29 against the Brooklyn Nets.

After Saturday’s meeting, that move is expected to be Bynum, who will garner interest on the free agent market once he is placed on waivers.

Marc Stein of ESPN.com reports that the ultimate decision on whether Bynum stays in Boston may not come down until next week:

[Bynum's agent] said sides plan to “take a deep breath” and play out next week before Celts decide whether to keep or waive newly acquired guard

On the Celtics side, the move saves them in the neighborhood of $900,000, and will keep the team further out of luxury tax territory for the upcoming season. If Bynum is waived, it means Boston feels it’s good at point guard with Rajon Rondo, Marcus Smart, and Phil Pressey already in place.

Bynum averaged 8.9 points and 3.7 assists in 18.8 minutes per contest for the Pistons last season.

---

Not at all surprised. Depth does that.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Report: C's likely to waive Bynum Empty Re: Report: C's likely to waive Bynum

Post by Sam Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 pm

He should catch on somewhere.  He's a pretty decent guard.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Some more details on the trade.  

Eric Pincus: Looks like the Boston Celtics trade w/ the Detroit Pistons was a little more complicated than originally thought re: use of trade exceptions. The Celtics used their Humphries TPE to take in Will Bynum - was $4.25 mil, now $1.3 mil remaining @BBallInsiders basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics… Twitter @EricPincus

Eric Pincus: Boston also attained a new TPE for Joel Anthony, for $3.8 mil, expiring in Oct 2015. Basically Boston sacrificed $450k of Hump TPE, expiring July - to have $3.8 mil Anthony TPE til Oct @BBallInsiders basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics… Twitter @EricPincus

bob
MY NOTE:  So, what it looks like to me, is that Danny preferred to have a $3.8M TPE that expires in October, 2015 and a $1.3M TPE left over that will expire in July, 2015 than a single $4.3M TPE, all of which would have expired in July 2015.  Bought himself approximately 3 months more time to wheel-and-deal with the majority of the TPE. The claim by Pincus, that Danny gave up some of the original TPE isn't true, the $1.3M TPE leftover is still there, it is just much smaller and therefore has less ability to create impact. It might expire unused but it isn't a sure thing, especially with Trader Danny. Hell, he might end up rolling it into another, maybe even bigger, TPE next year.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Still somewhat of a head scratcher, since Fav is still home in spain (or has he come back ready to go yet).

I wasn't a fan of Joel, but he was a warm body and you knew he would at least work hard on defense. Fav...ummmm, does he even WANT to play this year?

I mean Ainge could have ate Favs deal for less than Bynum's.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Joel was only a spot player (at best) for the Celtics.  But, in those spots, I didn't see anything that suggested he would fit with a developing team like the Celtics.  A developing team needs more than warm bodies.  (That was last season.)  It needs complementary players (and the more versatile the better) who have at least a reasonable chance to coalesce and develop a collective identity with the passage of time.  Apparently, Danny thought that an injured Vitor had relatively greater likelihood of being complementary than Anthony did.  Although, it's very difficult for me to believe that Vitor will be a long-term Celtic.  So "relatively" is the operative term here.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm

kdp59 wrote:Still somewhat of a head scratcher, since Fav is still home in spain (or has he come back ready to go yet).

I wasn't a fan of Joel, but he was a warm body and you knew he would at least work hard on defense. Fav...ummmm, does he even WANT to play this year?

I mean Ainge could have ate Favs deal for less than Bynum's.

kdp,

It is projected that Fav will be out 6-8 weeks from date of surgery, which was a week or two ago.  So, he should be available by the end of December.  He will be in Boston for the rehab of this surgery, which lets the Celtics' medical team monitor him, his progress and his dedication more closely.  Will Bynum, at almost 32, is just 6 months younger than Gerald Wallace.  While I like Crash, I think it's safe to say that he's on the team because we can't get rid of his contract.  A good player, overpaid at this point for what he can deliver, but too old for what Danny is trying to build.  Not only is that Will Bynum (ok, maybe not the contract, but the rest of it) but he plays a position we are well stocked in (while Wallace provides some needed depth at 3).  Even a half-hearted, but healthy, Vitor Faverani will have value on the trade market because of his size (he is a legit center-sized), his contract (bigger than Bynum's but cheapy-cheap for a big), his age (only 26) and his skills (he can score inside and outside, including from 3.  So, he could even be moved to "stretch 4" in a big lineup), and I think it's premature to say he's half-hearted.  He had a minor surgical setback.  I'm just happy it wasn't like Derrick Rose's.

In my admittedly largely uninformed opinion, the problem seems to revolve around the medical team in Malaga, Spain and, perhaps, Vitor's continuing trust in them.  Did they not try to see if Vitor could do more strenuous exercises without becoming sore?  Are they unaware of the pounding a professional basketball player's knees take on a daily basis, and did they not set being able to handle that as a goal in his summer rehab?  Not just strength, but conditioning to ensure he could do it everyday?  I'm sure Vitor did what he was told, I saw instagrams he posted of him working out regularly, I'm just not getting a real good feeling about what they told him.  I mean, he had to go back for further surgery and they're taking "here's the group hanging loose with bro Vitor" pictures with him?  This might just be a cultural difference, Malaga is a resort town on Spain's Costa del Sol with a population of 560,000 and not downtown Madrid (much less Boston or NY), but if I was in charge of a surgical unit that had a patient returning for more work because the first time didn't go like a charm I'd be all-business.  No smiles, no "one big, happy family" pictures, just "get the patient prepped for surgery and let's fix this once-and-for-all".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Imagine Kevin Garnett in a situation similar to Faverini's.  The only word I can think of is "explosion."  I don't know what kind of explosion or how or where it might occur, but I do believe it would happen.  Some of us have discussed the question of whether Jeff Green may be a little too laidback to become a top performer.  Well Vitor makes Jeff look like Yosemite Sam.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Fav's salary is just over $2M.

and next years is supposedly not guaranteed.

I hope Ainge is right about Fav. but his track record on big men is sketchy to me.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:54 pm

kdp59 wrote:I hope Ainge is right about Fav. but his track record on big men is sketchy to me.
I think it's more that the track record on big men is sketchy.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Vitor has certainly been 'sketchy' as far as his contributions as a Celtic, but he is much more likely to be of more help in the future than Anthony would have been.

He (Vitor) may surprise us all in time and perform well enough to help the team win some games although I would not bet the ranch on him either.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Smart non-move, Clyde.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down