Rondo Engages In First Full-Contact Practice

2 posters

Go down

Rondo Engages In First Full-Contact Practice Empty Rondo Engages In First Full-Contact Practice

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:08 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4715275/rondo-engages-in-first-full-contact-practice

Rondo engages in first full-contact practice
October, 24, 2014
OCT 24 3:00 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Four weeks after undergoing hand surgery, Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo participated in his first full-contact practice Friday as he continues to make strides towards playing in the team's season-opener next week.

Chris Forsberg/ESPN Boston
Rajon Rondo on the practice court Friday.

Rondo, who underwent a surgical fixation for a fractured metacarpal bone late last month, wore just a shooting sleeve over his left arm as the Celtics went through light shooting and conditioning drills that were open to the media at the start of Friday's practice. Rondo, who was decked out in the green jerseys typically worn by starters, was expected to put on additional padding when the team launched into full-contact work, but coach Brad Stevens expected no limitations from the point guard.

"He’ll go through the whole practice today," said Stevens. "It’ll just be a matter of, again, how big that pad is. I think that’s the biggest thing moving forward. It’s really about getting hit or not. So, seeing how he feels after this, then we’ve got Saturday and Sunday off, so Monday [or] Tuesday we should know more [about his game availability]."

Rondo is expected to have the bone reevaluated by team doctors early next week and could gain the necessary clearance to participate in Wednesday's season-opener against the Brooklyn Nets.

"It's not my call, that’s the way I look at it," Stevens said Thursday. "When [team trainer] Ed [Lacerte] tells me that someone is ready to play, that’s the go-ahead to let them play. And I wouldn’t rush it. I would not be up here and say, ‘We really need this person on Tuesday night.’ It’s just the way it goes. I’m the son of a doctor, I get it. I realize I don’t know a lot when it comes to medicine. I let them do their job and they do a great job."

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said he knows Rondo is anxious, but the team won't hesitate to put him on the floor once he's cleared medically.

"I think he’ll fit right in," Ainge said Thursday. 'I think Rajon is in a great spot, mentally and physically. I can’t wait to see him play. He has a lot to prove; I see it in him. He’s just really dying to get out there and play. I’m excited for him, [that] he’ll probably be able to come back quicker than he thought originally."

Rondo was expected to miss 6-8 weeks following surgery, but has maintained a desire to return as soon as opening night.

For more on Rondo's final hurdles to game action, hop HERE.

bob
MY NOTE:  The $64 question is "how does Rondo's hand feel today?".  If he's good, then we're good.  If it aches or swells up a bit, then make him back off for another week and let it heal more.  We don't need him for game 1. Nevertheless, remarkable healing and looking good for an early return to action. When you come back, Rajon, please run, run, run!!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rondo Engages In First Full-Contact Practice Empty Re: Rondo Engages In First Full-Contact Practice

Post by Sam Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Regardless of any other strengths and weaknesses he may have, I with everyone on the team had the passion for playing that Rondo does.  If there's any category in Celtics' history in which he deserves to be among the leaders, it's that one.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down