Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum

3 posters

Go down

Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum Empty Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:09 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/10/27/7077203/celtics-still-trying-to-trade-will-bynum-to-avoid-cutting-him

Celtics still trying to trade Will Bynum to avoid cutting him
By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on Oct 27 2014, 6:23a 49

Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum 20140929_ajw_aa1_026.JPG.0_standard_709.0
Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
All about that roster space.

The Celtics have 16 players under guaranteed contracts.  They'll need to find a way to get rid of one of them somehow.  They want to keep Dwight Powell around (despite his small price tag) which means they might have to waive Will Bynum and eat his $2.9M salary.  That's a lot of cheddar (even for a team paying Gerald Wallace $10M a year to be a veteran leader).  So they are looking for teams that might take Bynum in a salary dump trade.

Brian Robb @CelticsHub
Follow
League source: Celtics continue to shop Will Bynum to find a taker for his $2.9 million contract before Monday's roster cutdown.
10:03 AM - 26 Oct 2014
16 RETWEETS  3 FAVORITES

Brian Robb @CelticsHub
Follow
One team to watch as a potential Bynum destination: The LA Lakers. Obviously have a need at PG, have trade exception to absorb him.
10:16 AM - 26 Oct 2014
2 RETWEETS  2 FAVORITES

Some might be holding out hope that a larger deal is being worked, but the chances are it will be a minor deal or simply Bynum being waived sometime today.

In fact, I could see the team trading Bynum and some amount of cash to a team with a trade exception or cap room to absorb him.  The Celtics could pay a portion of his salary that way without having to eat all of it.  The guess here is that they've waiting till the last possible second because they are monitoring the rest of the activity around the league as they all make their cuts and final roster moves.

I have no idea why this is so interesting or important to me, but it is and I own that.  Woo hoooo, minor roster transactions!  Firecrackers!

bob
MY NOTE:  Quite frankly, I don't understand any of this.  Why would anybody give something to the Celtics for a player they will be able to pick up off of waivers tomorrow?  I think that's especially true with the Lakers since, as I understand it, teams get to pick players off the waiver wire in order of last year's record.  If that's true, with the Lakers' record last year, they would only have to hope that Philly, Milwaukee and Utah won't take him first.  I'd love to get something, anything, for Bynum but I am not hopeful.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum Empty Re: Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Bob,

Agreed.
It doesn't make any sense for LA to absorb Bynum's $2.9m contract when they can sign him tomorrow for the veterans minimum.
LA seems excited to give playing time to rookie Jordan Clarkson, so I don't think Bynum is in their plans.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum Empty Re: Celtics Still Trying To Trade Bynum

Post by k_j_88 Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:11 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

Agreed.
It doesn't make any sense for LA to absorb Bynum's $2.9m contract when they can sign him tomorrow for the veterans minimum.
LA seems excited to give playing time to rookie Jordan Clarkson, so I don't think Bynum is in their plans.

Yeah, but with how quickly guys can get injured, never hurts to add a little depth.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:33 pm

k_j_88 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Bob,

Agreed.

Yeah, but with how quickly guys can get injured, never hurts to add a little depth.

KJ

The Lakers already have 15 on the roster.
There's no room for Bynum at the moment.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:44 am

Bynum was waived by the Celtics today.

So, that's that.  Wyc eats a few bucks and we're done.

So, barring future trades, here's the Celtics roster on opening day:

Rondo
Pressey
Bradley
Smart
Thornton
Turner
Young
Green
Wallace
Sully
Bass
Powell
Kelly
Zeller
Vitor

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down