It is season Eve

5 posters

Go down

It is season Eve Empty It is season Eve

Post by dboss Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Here we are again.  Every Fall when the leaves turn colors the Celtics begin a new season.

The off season was active because of the drafts picks and other signings  and trades.

It's hard not to like this roster.

The pundits already have their damn calculators out in a mindless effort to set forth the number of WINS the Celtics will get this year.    They wanna tell US how many wins this team will get.

But they may be asking the wrong question.  

I think there has been a very strong evaluation by the board over the summer with wide ranging threads and thought provoking posts so we do not need anybody to talk about wins and losses to us.

This team is deep 1-4.

The Celtics needed a BU PG who could develop into the starter,  check

They needed to add a sniper in the Eddie House mode, check

They also needed a versatile, multi-skilled player, check

They needed to retain key front line players, check

They needed to add some  future depth, check

But those are just pieces.  The most significant change is in the offense where Stevens has implemented a version of the motion offense.  The ball and man are moving.   This style requires discipline and precision .  

We had heard rumors of a more up tempo style and the pre-season did reveal the beginning stages of fast break basketball.  It wets our appetite for real fast break basketball.  I'm a Celtics fan.  There is no such thing as up tempo basketball.  There is fast break basketball.  That is the constant.

The defense will be using the big to stop the pick and roll.  Last year the defense was more read and react.  The overall depth of on the ball defenders is deep and solid 1-3 and our 4 and 5 defensive positions are better.

The Team is healthy and we can now expect to have Rajon Rondo in the mix early on.

His challenge...run Brad's offense and not yours.  

But that concession would not be made unless Stevens also agreed to lean on Rondos' decision making.    If you have a great point guard that can orchestrate the music you have to let them play some Jazz.

That's a whole lot of good stuff!

Even the good stuff however comes with challenges.  

We still have not acquired a starting center.  

KO will start at center for us but that experiment is probably the biggest question mark that I have.  Kelly's offense appeared to suffer toward the end of pre season once he was playing at the 5.  Defense requires stamina and strength.  Will KO have the strength and stamina to play at both ends?  His offense is still what he does best.  Will the tradeoff be good?  

Can Zeller or Vitor contribute?

Welcome to the 2014-15 season.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

It is season Eve Empty Re: It is season Eve

Post by Sam Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Dboss,

Can't you summon a little enthusiasm?  I find it particularly encouraging that the very, very preliminary returns offer glimmers on each of your challenges:

• Indications that Smart has true potential as a backup "1."

• While there's a difference between a true starting center and a center who starts by default, I'm feeling a little better about Zeller's potential as a legitimate defender at the position than about Kelly's current progress at the position.

• I believe Rondo has the ability to run Brad's offense very well, but his own challenge will be more mental than physical.

If I understand your comment about the distinction between uptempo basketball and fast break basketball, I don't at all agree that there should be "no such thing as uptempo ball"—"only fast break basketball" for the Celtics.  Over the course of the season, the Celtics aren't likely to be such dominant rebounders that they'll be able to run fast breaks constantly—even if they have the stamina to do so.  (Their early mediocre record of successful fast breaks underscores how far they have to go to achieve that kind of ongoing fast break potential.)  There will probably be more halfcourt possessions (possibly many more) than halfcourt possessions.  And pushing the ball in uptempo style can make a huge difference in their halfcourt success by (1) giving the Celtics a shot in the arm in terms of rhythm and early good looks and (2) creating difficulties for opponents in getting set defensively against the Celts.

But this is all conjecture at this point.  It should be loads of fun to watch this season unfold.

Go Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Sam

Up tempo basketball is fast break basketball. I see no difference.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Celtics basketball... The most fun one can have with their clothes on...

Time for some questions to be answered, others to be asked... and that most wonderfull of all dancers- Gino to begin getting ready to bust some moves..

Sure we ain't expecting to fire up those championship cigars come next summer... but I think we all got our excitement lit up as much as possible!!!

Let's go celtics!!!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Dboss,

Up-tempo basketball obviously includes fast breaks as one possible component.  It can also include non-offensive, aggressive defense designed to produce turnovers.  It can also include pushing the ball into the halfcourt set—often designed to get off a shot within 10 seconds and keep the opponent from getting defensively set.  It can also include dedicated offensive rebounding.

Fast breaks are always uptempo basketball, but uptempo basketball definitely is not limited to fast breaks.  In this exhibition season, the Celtics have done a good job of playing uptempo basketball without necessarily having impressive fast breaking results.

If Rondo pushes the ball only in fast break situations, he's not capitalizing on anything approaching the full potential of uptempo basketball.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:14 am

Sam,

Great points as usual, and someone else mentioned yesterday that Rondo's willingness to really do what Stevens is asking on offense will likely be the key to a season of improvement.

Attacking on offense before the entire defense is fully set up is always a plus for an offense. You get better shots when the defense cannot fully rotate or double team and you get far more opportunities to get offensive rebounds when the defense is not completely entrenched.

Also, attacking early in the 24 second time period may also yield more opportunities to take the ball to the rim which was discussed yesterday in another thread.

When the Celtics had Allen, Pierce and Garnett, walking the ball up the court was quite acceptable (and,probably necessary in many cases), but this year's team has none such players. Stevens has a great plan for the talent that he has, and Rondo needs to accept the plan rather than pound the ball into the floor.

20-62 if Rondo over dribbles on a regular basis and 37 and 45 if he plays to the motion offense.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 am

sam wrote:Dboss,

Up-tempo basketball obviously includes fast breaks as one possible component.  It can also include non-offensive, aggressive defense designed to produce turnovers.  It can also include pushing the ball into the halfcourt set—often designed to get off a shot within 10 seconds and keep the opponent from getting defensively set.  It can also include dedicated offensive rebounding.

Fast breaks are always uptempo basketball, but uptempo basketball definitely is not limited to fast breaks.  In this exhibition season, the Celtics have done a good job of playing uptempo basketball without necessarily having impressive fast breaking results.

If Rondo pushes the ball only in fast break situations, he's not capitalizing on anything approaching the full potential of uptempo basketball.

Sam

Sam

Sam agree
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 am

Up tempo

seems so simple, and all it really takes is 1 or 2 of our guys getting into the offensive end before their defenders get there. And if some other defender needs to adjust to pick them up, some one else will be unguarded. And the defense is already on their collective heels.

Push it up at every opportunity, NO ..... push it up EVERY TIME. We do that and turn over the lineup often enough for us to remain fresh. Make a reasonable amount of treys and this might be as fun to watch as any Celtic team.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Clyde,

The single aspect of pushing the ball that I like best is that, if the first option in an offensive possession fails, there is time for a second and possibly a third option within the allotted 24 seconds.

Dboss, I can feel your hunger for the fast break.  I think it may safely be said that you and I have traded more than our share of posts about the merits of Celtics fast break basketball.  I have to keep reminding myself that defensive rebounding is such a necessity in starting the break.  It doesn't matter whether you have a great transition floor general and swift wings of you can't get them the ball on a repeated and timely basis.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Sam,

Your point to Dboss relating to having to excel at defensive rebounding is exactly why the Celtics need to push the ball as fast as possible on all possessions. With their current roster I am not so sure that they have many dominant defensive rebounders to guarantee 15-20 points per game with just the fast break alone. At least not yet visable, no Bill Russells or Tom Sanders for night in and night out defensive rebounding. In fact, not even a Dave Cowens rebounder.

Yet, with pushing the ball as quickly as possible on every opportunity (including after made baskets and free throws) there will be at least some additional opportunities to get "easier" and better shots. At the least, it makes the opponents have all five guys having to hustle back every time.

Your mention of having a second (or third?) chance to work for a shot is also well taken. The Celtics drove me crazy last year when they oh so often tried to get a good shot (and often failing) by starting with 18-20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Why wait so long? Get it up the court in less than 5 seconds, get a good shot at 10 seconds or resort to plan B and get a good shot at 18, and then, only if necessary, look for something of a plan C at 23 seconds.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down