9 posters

Go down

POST GAME - INDY - HOME Empty POST GAME - INDY - HOME

Post by 112288 Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 pm

NEXT GAME - SATURDAY - CHICAGO - AWAY - 8PM

Marcus Smart injures left ankle

Updated: November 7, 2014, 9:55 PM ET

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- Celtics rookie guard Marcus Smart was carted off with a left ankle injury early in the fourth quarter of Friday night's game against the Indiana Pacers.  

Smart appeared to step awkwardly on the foot of Indiana's Lavoy Allen and immediately grabbed his left ankle after crashing to the floor. Team doctors attended to him on the court before a stretcher was summoned and his leg was immobilized before he was taken from the court.

The team said Smart will have an MRI later Friday night. 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SMART INJURIES LEFT ANKLE

WEEI

Celtics rookie guard Marcus Smart was taken off the court on a stretcher with 11:07 left in the game at TD Garden against the Pacers after injuring his left leg while going in for a lay-up against Indiana’s AJ Price.

After the game Celtics coach Brad Stevens said Smart experienced either a sprained or broken left ankle, with the team awaiting test results.

Smart had played 16 minutes, going 1-for-6 with two rebounds before the injury.

The entire Celtics team ultimately came out and gathered around Smart while he was being put on the stretcher, with the TD Garden crowd chanting the rookie’s name.

Smart came into Friday night’s game averaging 7.8 points and 21.5 minutes per game.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C's 101, Pacers 98: Boston responds to Smart's ankle injury

ESPNBOSTON

By Chris Forsberg 

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics responded passionately after one of their own was stretchered off the court on Friday night.

Rookie Marcus Smart suffered a left ankle injury early in the fourth quarter and needed extended medical attention before being carted off the court with the game tied. Boston scored the game's next five points, which included noted poor free-throw shooter Gerald Wallace making a pair of freebies despite coming off the bench cold as the Indiana Pacers' choice to shoot the freebies.

Indiana rallied within a point with 58 seconds to play, but Jeff Green came up with a big offensive rebound and two free throws with 6 ticks to go. Boston held on from there with Wallace coming up with the steal in the closing seconds to seal a 101-98 victory.

• Smart injured: Smart's injury temporarily left his teammates shellshocked given the apparent severity of the injury after he stepped awkwardly on the foot of Indiana's Lavoy Allen on a drive to the basket.

• Rondo Report: This was one of Rajon Rondo's quieter nights as he posted eight points, six assists, and four rebounds over just 28 minutes. He did have a series of fancy behind-the-back passes, included a gem that helped Tyler Zeller get to the free-throw line in the first half.

• Loose balls: Stevens leaned heavy on reserve center Zeller and he responded with six points and two rebounds over 12 minutes. ... Second-year guard Phil Pressey got his most minutes of the season, playing 13 minutes in a backup ball-handler role. He had five points (including a key fourth-quarter 3-pointer), four assists, and two steals.

• What it means: The Celtics improve to 2-3 on the season and snap a three-game losing streak. Boston embarks on its first back-to-back of the season when it visits the Chicago Bulls on Saturday night.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FIVE THINGS WE LEARNED ON A NIGHT THE CELTICS WON A GAME, BUT POTENTIALLY LOST MARCUS SMART

By WEEI  

At least the Celtics avoided a bad night turning into a really bad night.

The Celts might have lost their first-round pick, Marcus Smart, for an extended period of time due to a fourth quarter, left leg injury. (For more on Smart’s situation, click here.) But the C’s were able to avoid what would have been a demoralizing loss to a depleted Indiana team.

Down by two points heading into the final quarter, the Celtics rallied in the fourth to hang on for a 101-98 win over a Pacers club that has now lost five straight games. (For a complete box score, click here.)

THE PROMISE OF MARCUS SMART MAY HAVE TO WAIT

With the rookie being wheeled off the TD Garden floor on a stretcher, the reality of Smart’s first season was severely clouded. While continuing to struggle shooting the ball — having gone 1-for-6 from the floor after coming into the game with just a 30 percent percentage — he had shown flashes both defensively and in his offensive aggressiveness.

Smart came into the game averaging 21.5 minutes per game, suggesting a continued confidence from Celtics coach Brad Stevens. A heavier reliance will most likely be put on Marcus Thornton (who played just 7 minutes Friday night) and perhaps Phil Pressey, who totaled a season-high 12 minutes.

AT LEAST THEY DIDN’T GIVE IT AWAY (THAT MUCH)

One game after allowing Toronto 36 points off of turnovers, the Celtics made it a point of hanging on to the ball. Prior to the game, C’s coach Brad Stevens suggested that the issue in the previous contest was mostly due to the efforts of the Raptors. The results Friday night supported that take.

The Celtics didn’t commit their first turnover against the Pacers until there was 7:10 left in the first half. The ball security allowed Indiana to go the entire first half without a fast break basket.

When the Celtics did start turning it over again — allowing five miscues in the third quarter — that’s when Indiana started getting back into it. After trailing by as many as 13 late in the first half, the Pacers went on a 15-0 run early in the second half to claim a brief four-point lead.

KELLY OLYNYK IS PROVING TO BE A FIND

The second-year forward has proven to be one of the most consistent performers for the Celtics, coming into the game averaging 23.9 points and 13.6 rebounds per 48 minutes, shooting 57 percent.

In this case Olynyk’s efforts were much-needed this time around, with Indiana making no bones about their intentions. The Pacers scored 16 of their 26 first-quarter points in the paint, with Roy Hibbert (who was coming off an 0-for=7 showing), Luis Scola, and Chris Copeland owning the inside.

Thanks to Tyler Zeller, there were moments where Celtics big men not named “Olynyk” made their presence felt …

RAJON RONDO STILL IS LOOKING FOR MAX-CONTRACT VALUE

Although he has shown flashes of dominance this season, Rondo proved good, but certainly not great, this time around.

The point guard totaled eight points on 4-of-10 shooting (8 points), staying on the floor for 28 minutes. Rondo had averaged 34 minutes and 9.3 points per game prior to Friday night.

BRAD STEVENS DIDN’T DESIGN THE NEW UNIFORMS

Before the game, when asked about the new Celtics uniforms (which they will be wearing six times this season), the Celtics coach had this to say:

‘€œI think the biggest thing is, if our guys like them, I like them. The last thing I can do, and all of you who know me know this, is analyze fashion. Ask [Rajon] Rondo, a couple of our other guys, what they think because they have a much better eye then I do.’€

Back to top Go down

POST GAME - INDY - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME - INDY - HOME

Post by gyso Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Pressey keyed the late game surge and Wallace stole the ball to seal the deal.

Coach Stevens is giving Zeller more playing time.  Please Sir, can we have even more?

I didn't really notice the new uniforms.  They were still white with green, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:13 am

"Smart rolled his ankle on the foot of Pacers guard AJ Price early in the fourth quarter. Though several players had heard the X-Ray results were negative, likely ruling out a fracture, Smart later left the Garden in a wheelchair to have an MRI taken of the ankle."

From the Herald. Hopefully the reports that there is no fracture are true. Fingers crossed.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:28 am

I saw one quarter of Brad-ball (fast pacing, sharing the ball, etc.) and then two quarters of Rondo-ball (walking the ball up the court, dribbling the ball at the top of the key leading to "hero passes" from Rondo resulting in turnovers). It almost cost us the win. Brad sat him down for almost 13 minutes and with Pressey at the point the pacing and ball movement returned. Was it magic? Was it an accident? I don't think so and Rondo's return with almost three minutes to play and (if memory serves me right with a 5 point lead) almost cost us another win. If I were Stevens I would have kept his butt on the bench. I hope Rondo gets the message, but his lines of communication often seem to be blocked.

Good to see Wallace get some playing time, I love his hustle and defensive play.
Green was a little quiet tonight because they quit going to him.
Good to see Olynyk not hesitating taking the shot.
More Zeller please.
Turner actually played a decent game.
Hope Marcus isn't out for too long.
On to Chicago!
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:49 am

From the Globe:

"The Celtics announced after the game that Rondo would not accompany the team to Chicago for Saturday night’s game, instead having a screw removed from his surgically repaired left hand."

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:50 am

good win, though they had me worried most of the second half.

I know this team is supposed to be a 30 win or less team, but darn it I WANT them to win these games.

Stevens did play both Zeller and Bass more this game ,was it because of the back to back or a new rotation?

tough, TOUGH game at Chicago tonight. Is Noah playing?

can SOMEONE post a link as soon there is info on Smart, please!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:07 am

Give Stevens credit for working the substitute game the last 5 minutes. He really matched the floor players well down the stretch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:36 am

Glad to see that Jeff Green came through at the end, continued his streak of double-figure games, and led the team with 7 rebounds.  Yeah, he had 3 turnovers, so his ascension to perfect player status will have to wait a while.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:37 am

Nice to see the Celts continue to get off to a good start while, this time around, combining it with a gutsy finish.  Little by little, glimmers emerge.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:03 pm

I think the team showed mental toughness when the game was on the line.  Securing rebounds, making free throw shots and defending the pass (Wallace)

Some other observations

Kelly Olynyk may never be a big time rebounder or defender but this kid is improving in all areas including rebounding in traffic and defending.  His offense efficiency is eye opening.  He is really a wing player that is fighting everyday to play in the post.  At some point when Boston adds a really good center they will be able to take full advantage of Kelly's offensive abilities.  I am seeing a 20 PPG scorer down the road because he shoots the ball really well.

You gotta love Pressey.  He finally gets a shot and what does he do.  Runs the offense, makes a three and plays pesky defense.  This is a perfect example of how a small guard can play a bigger guard.  Pressey is so quick and he anticipates the movement of the man he is guarding so well that he is able to influence where his man can get to.  The Smart injury while very unfortunate, opens up the door for Pressey to get more minutes.

Last night it seems like Sully had a zillion rebounds but I guess that was not quite accurate.  He continues to bang in the post and it again highlights the need for another true center.  Sully was 1/5 from behind the arc.  Does anybody out there believe that Sully is an improved 3 point shooter?

It appears to me that Jeff Green has become more active on the glass this year.

Turner played much better because he was not tasked with PG responsibilities.  

With both Rondo and Smart out for tonight's game I look for Pressey to start and I expect Turner and others will get some time at the point.  Tonight is an excellent opportunity for the pointless motion offense to be realized.  Everybody can share the responsibilities.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Midway through the second quarter, after a Celtic basket, Tommy went nutso, screaming, "That's his shot baby!!!  15 to 18 footer!  He'll kill ya!!!!"

Who was he talking about??  Unbelievably, Evan Turner.  

You know the one - the Evan Turner who is a deadly shooter from 15 to 18 feet.  Never misses one.  Yup, a killer.  But mostly a killer who kills his own team.

Homerism at its best.  Cracked me up.  Still laughing about it.

Go Tommy.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:32 pm

After watching Turner from preseason to the first 5 games, I have come to the conclusion that he is NOT a team player. He spends most or his time on the court looking for his own shot. When he can't find it, a turnover happens. He just has not shown me that he is going to be a difference maker on this team. It is obvious why his other two teams gave up on him.
I do not mean to be ganging up on the kid, I was hoping for a little more from him though.

Pressey is going to get alot more playing time with Smart hurt, so this is his time to make it clear that he is a cog in the wheel. I just wish he was 6 inches or so taller. (But, then again, I wish that for myself too!)

Watching Smart go down last night was painful. This is a tough kid, so you knew that he was really hurt. But, I suppose it could be alot worse. Hopefully the kid will rebound in a few weeks and get back on track.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Sully battled unfortunately he was going against a 7'2" behemoth, shame he has to go against the big guys....oh right it would be worse if KO was thrown around by them like a rag doll against Hibbert. We could be seeing so much more out of Sully and every position if we start and give Zeller 28-32 minutes IMHO as we are not putting Sully in the best position to succeed. Jeff Green scored 2 points in the second half, I don't know if it was his fault for not demanding the ball more or Rondo and company not looking for him more? but glad he is rebounding better, he was going against a career back up in Copeland and its not like he won that match up? Stevens should have went to Green more as thats a match up advantage for us that Green should dominate.

Agree with berlin that Rondo had an uneven game, but its only one game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:23 pm

....if we had a Perk to lay a body on the biggest mofo out there every night, Sully could be getting 15 boards a game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Berlin-T wrote:I saw one quarter of Brad-ball (fast pacing, sharing the ball, etc.) and then two quarters of Rondo-ball (walking the ball up the court, dribbling the ball at the top of the key leading to "hero passes" from Rondo resulting in turnovers). It almost cost us the win. Brad sat him down for almost 13 minutes and with Pressey at the point the pacing and ball movement returned. Was it magic? Was it an accident? I don't think so and Rondo's return with almost three minutes to play and (if memory serves me right with a 5 point lead) almost cost us another win. If I were Stevens I would have kept his butt on the bench. I hope Rondo gets the message, but his lines of communication often seem to be blocked.

Good to see Wallace get some playing time, I love his hustle and defensive play.
Green was a little quiet tonight because they quit going to him.
Good to see Olynyk not hesitating taking the shot.
More Zeller please.
Turner actually played a decent game.
Hope Marcus isn't out for too long.
On to Chicago!

someone who sees the same thing as me.

we are a different team with Rondo on the court.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Truly profound observations.

The Celts will be a different team tonight since Rondo will not be playing. We can run the Bulls off the court and pick their defense apart like a piece of leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:25 pm

dboss wrote:Truly profound observations.

The Celts will be a different team tonight since Rondo will not be playing.  We can run the Bulls off the court and pick their defense apart like a piece of leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Dboss

we all don't have agree or be given snide remarks.....I can go back to the other board for that.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Berlin, I like the terms you coined—Brad ball and Rondo ball.  There does seem to be a distinct difference most of the time.  We've all talked about Rondo's penchant for walking it up the court and pounding it if a fast break is not available.  And we've all talked about Brad's penchant for uptempo basketball.  Somewhere, somehow, there's a major conflict between the two orientations.  That's not news.  It's been obvious for quite a while, despite the various rationalizations associated with Rondo's various injuries or whatever.

Whatever the underlying factors, one pure and simple fact is that the Celtics are extremely unlikely ever to submit a consistently contending halfcourt offense without (1) using pace to keep the defense from getting set and (2) moving the ball around (preferably through passing) to open up passing lanes.

This fact seems so painfully obvious that one wonders what's really going on (or NOT going on) in the relationship between Brad and Rondo.  I know they've been reserved and complimentary in their comments about one another, but that doesn't mean diddly to me.  What's really going on, guys?   What do all of you experts (and I'm not being sarcastic) think is the story?  How can these two guys continue to coexist when there seems to be such a huge gap between their approaches?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:04 pm

kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:Truly profound observations.

The Celts will be a different team tonight since Rondo will not be playing.  We can run the Bulls off the court and pick their defense apart like a piece of leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Dboss

we all don't have agree  or be given snide remarks.....I can go back to the other board for that.

Reminds me of a Richard Pryor joke!

A guys goes to a Chinese restaurant and orders a bunch food. At some point he tells the waiter I can't eat all this S---

The waiter responds...You order S--- you eat S---

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm more of a Carlin man myself, but to each his own.

Celtics up by 15 at the half!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:16 pm

I liked both of them...may they rest in peace.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:24 pm

yeah and we go some turkey in Chicago last night after all!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Dboss,

Carlin's 7 words were classic.  My favorite Pryer movie is "Silver Streak."  Only Pryor could get a huge belly laugh from an innocuous line like, "I'm a thief!"

Two lf the leading comedians ever in my book.  Even the incredibly remote possibility of possibly watching them together in another sphere makes me less concerned about dying.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down