Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics

3 posters

Go down

Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics Empty Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics

Post by Sam Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Just for chuckles, I played around with the Celtics' stats for this young season.  Nothing earth shaking, but perhaps a few surprises.

Sam

• Rajon Rondo is outrebounding Kelly Olynyk and is not far behind Jared Sullinger on a per minute basis.

• Phil Pressey leads the Celtics in steals on a per minute basis.

• The Celtics have six players who are averaging more than 80% on their free throws.  But only two of the six (Green and Bass) have taken an average of more than 1.2 freebie per game.

• Two Celtics (Pressey and Smart) are shooting 100% from the free throw line.

• Among rotation players, three Celtics are virtually tied for the team lead in points per minute: Sully (0.525), Thornton (0.522), and Green (0.519).

• Marcus Smart ranks a fairly distant second on the team to Phil Pressey in steals per minute.

• Rondo is shooting better from three point land (.375) than the free throw line (.333).

• Thornton and Sully are virtually tied for most attempted field goals per minute.

• Kelly is the only rotation player to break 40% from the arc (.467).

• Marcus Smart and Phil Pressey are the only two Celtics to take more three point shots than two point shots per minute— (Marcus by a 2.26-to-1 margin and Phil by a 1.25-to-1 margin).

• The Celtics have five guys in double figures per game and 10 in double figures per 36 min.

• The Celtic rotation player with most free throw attempts per minute is Tyler Zeller, barely edging out Jeff Green.

• The Celtic rotation player with fewest free throw attempts per minute is Avery Bradley.

• The top five Celtics rotation players in terms of 2-point fga per minute are (in order) Sully, Bass, and a three-way tie between Bradley, Turner and Thornton.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics Empty Re: Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Sam,

Thanks for pulling this together.  I see snippets of it in the threads but without watching the games I have no feel for the team overall.

My takeaways from this:

1.  Kelly is a stretch 4.  Period.  He may end up being Dirk 2.0, including Dirk's defense, but he's not Noah with a better shot (although he might have Noah's court vision and passing).  Having said that, 46.7% from 3 is outstanding.  It brings us back to the dilemma "how do we keep Kelly and Sully on the floor when Zeller should be the center?"

2.  Zeller is a 5.  His ftas/min reveal he's where the contact is likely and that's where a center should be.

3.  Jeff Green is now Mr. Consistent.  We should have made him a rookie's mentor and role model years ago.

4.  Marcus Smart is taking too many 3s.  I understand why Phil takes so many but Smart is a wrecking ball and should be initiating contact.

5.  Microwave Marcus is doing his job, he's shooting.  I like that, since he is excluded from the Smart/Pressey club, he's taking more 2s than 3s.  He's mixing it up and not just bombing away.  Is that happening from defenses rushing to close him out at the arc (which would be a positive result from Brad's 3pt orientation) and he's putting it on the floor and driving past them or is he slashing off set plays (also positive) or...?

bob

P.S.  Just got back to my hotel in Ha Noi  after 3 days of trekking.  The sleeper train is comfortable, but I got the upper bunk both ways.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics Empty Re: Some Interesting Stats on the 2014-15 Celtics

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Really bob Green has had 8 games shooting 41% or below, sorry usually not a stat guy, but after you said that had to check.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:59 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Really bob Green has had 8 games shooting 41% or below, sorry usually not a stat guy, but after you said that had to check.

Cow,

Thanks for adding some clarity.  There is a Forsberg article posted by KJ that says he is consistent, but...

Consistent isn't the same as efficient.  41% fg% might be inefficient but he is averaging more points than ever before and his ppg seem to be more steady, not as many wide swings from game-to-game.   His rebounding,  which has been his softest area, has ticked up in recent games too.

I'm not disagreeing with you, without eyeballing the games myself it would be hard to do that, I'm just making a sophistic distinction.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:12 pm

bob

I'm rooting for him, thought why not check the stats? he seems to be playing harder, there is more purpose to his game, but stats don't lie. He still has been better this year compared to last season. nice of you to check in while your on vacation.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:59 pm

BobH and Cow,

Actually, Jeff's shooting more efficiently this season than last.  In 2013-14, he shot 43.5% from the field, and this year he's shooting 47.2%.  But he has flip flopped his areas of efficiency.

His three-point shooting was much better last year than so far this season (34.1% to 27.3%); but his two-point shooting is much better this year than last season (52.6% to 44.8%).  In terms of shot attempts, 14% of them have been threes both last season and this season.

I've always noticed that Jeff's a much better three-point shooter when he has time to get set.  (So are many players, but he's been particularly noticeable in that respect.  I'm wondering whether the faster-paced Celtics offense of this season is squeezing him a little more in terms of his three point release time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down