Brandon Wright Developing His Role

5 posters

Go down

Brandon Wright Developing His Role Empty Brandon Wright Developing His Role

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:13 pm

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/12/29/brandan-wright-developing-his-role-with-celtics/cbqZw9sTE7XHQdZlnICQnI/story.html

Brandan Wright developing his role with Celtics

Brandon Wright Developing His Role Wright
The Boston Globe
Boston, MA - 12/26/14 - (2nd quarter) Boston Celtics forward Brandan Wright (12) lays up the shot but was called for the offensive foul on Brooklyn Nets guard Alan Anderson (6) on this shot in the second quarter. The Boston Celtics take on the Brooklyn Nets at TD Garden. - (Barry Chin/Globe Staff), Section: Sports, Reporter: Gary Washburn, Topic: 27Celtics-Nets, LOID: 8.0.1024260862.
BARRY CHIN/GLOBE STAFF

Brandan Wright is averaging 10.8 minutes and 4.3 points in four games with the Celtics.

By Julian Benbow
GLOBE STAFF  
DECEMBER 29, 2014

Brandan Wright has never had an issue with waiting. His patience was tested early in his career.

He was a one-and-done first-round draft pick with nothing but upside, and it took all of 77 games for him to see how fleeting potential can be.

Two years into his career, he had to sit out a season because of a shoulder injury, and he returned at less than 100 percent.

He went from being a 6-foot-9-inch pogo stick for the Warriors as a rookie in 2007 to a 23-year-old veteran trying to reestablish himself with the Nets in 2010.

His blessing was the NBA lockout of 2011, which gave him a chance to fully recover.

“I wasn’t a year removed from surgery yet,” Wright said. “So I was still trying to work the kinks out and I was still fighting general soreness and the weather, going to cold cities and stuff like that. So I knew it was big for me to continue to strengthen that, work on that. For me to get healthy, that time was priceless.”

Wright began making up for lost time, carving out a niche as the Mavericks’ springy secret weapon off the bench.

When he averaged 9.1 points and 4.2 rebounds last season, the league started to take notice. More than just understanding his role, Wright took the minutes he got in Dallas and maximized them.

“I think health is a big thing always,” Wright said. “When you’re not 100 percent, it can hold you back. But I think these last 3-4 years, I’ve been able to show what I’m about. That I’m a very, very productive player in this league and only more good things to come.”

So now that he’s in Boston and coach Brad Stevens is still figuring out just how to play the overflow of bodies in the Celtics locker room, Wright has no problem waiting until things sort themselves out.

“He said the first couple weeks, we’ve got to see where we’re at,” Wright said. “We’ve got new guys over here. We made the trade with three good guys. It’s a young team, everyone’s still trying to establish themselves. So it’s going to be kind of a toss-up how it’s going to go. But I look forward to the future once everything’s settled in.”

In four games since coming to the Celtics in the trade that sent Rajon Rondo to Dallas earlier this month, Wright is averaging 10.8 minutes, 4.3 points, and 2.0 rebounds.

Last Tuesday in Orlando, he played eight minutes down the stretch as the Celtics nearly came all the way back from a 27-point deficit. Last Friday, he played only two seconds in the fourth quarter of a close loss to the Nets.

But the minutes, Wright said, will work themselves out. His focus is fitting in as quickly as possible.

“You’ve just got to get comfortable,” Wright said. “It’s going to take a little time. Still trying to learn the guys, learn the scheme, and learn the coaches. It’s still new, but we’re still getting there, though.

“I think I’m a good enough player to do that. And I have confidence in myself, confidence in my abilities when I step out on the court to make things happen. So whether it’s 20 minutes or 35 minutes, you’ve got to take advantage of what you get. Just play to your strengths.”

Starters need time to jell

Marcus Smart’s transition to starting point guard has been rocky so far.

Smart has started three of five games since the Rondo trade, and the Celtics have lost all three of his starts.

Smart said he’s still in the process of getting on the same page with the other starters. Between coming off the bench and missing 10 games in November with a sprained ankle, Smart’s floor time with the first unit has been slim.

“It’s just different because they’re not used to playing with me and I’m not really used to playing with those guys,” Smart said. “They had Rondo for so long, playing with him and getting used to his style. Trying to get used to my style and how I’m used to playing — and vice versa with me to them — it’s a lot.

“So I think that’s one of the reasons why we kind of come out kind of sluggish in the first half. But that’s no excuse. That has to change and I have to do a better job.”

Stevens has started Smart, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and Tyler Zeller in three of the last four games. As a unit, they are averaging 8.6 minutes and have been outscored by an average 3.5 points over four games, turning it over 4.5 times and shooting just 20 percent from 3-point range.

Sullinger’s status uncertain

When Sullinger left the visitors’ locker room at the Verizon Center on Saturday with his right ankle wrapped, he said it was “no big deal.” He twisted it when he landed on someone’s foot while fighting for a rebound. The Celtics were off Sunday and Sullinger didn’t practice Monday. Stevens said he didn’t expect the injury to be a long-term issue, but wasn’t sure what Sullinger’s status would be for the rest of the week . . . After being sidelined for more than two weeks with a separated right shoulder, James Young returned to the court Sunday with the Maine Red Claws. Young scored 15 points in 32 minutes in his first game since Dec. 10. “I was kind of winded, but I also needed it just to knock some rust off,” said Young, who showed no lingering effects of the injury. “It’s about 100 percent,” he said of his shoulder. “I haven’t had any problems with it.”

bob
MY NOTE: Everybody was oohing and ahhhing about Wright's athleticism when he was with GSW. He was, in retrospect, another Gerald Green. A player who went into the NBA too young and didn't have the head for that level of play he needed. Hopefully, like Green, Wright has figured it all out while he still has his hops. Notice he was described as a "6'9" pogo stick" in 2007. I don't know why we were told he was 6'11" in the trade. Did he grow 2" in his 20's? I doubt it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brandon Wright Developing His Role Empty Re: Brandon Wright Developing His Role

Post by kdp59 Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:51 am

yeah he's still 6-9 which is 6-10 in the NBA world.

Sully is 6-8
Bass is 6-7
Kelly is 6-10

but we all know real world height and NBA height have been two different things since about the mid 1990's.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 am

Guys,

Wright's height is not an issue if he can play the position. He seems to have good ups, gets off the ground very quickly and seems to be very long in his reach.

If he is back next year as a center/power forward type player I would like to see him be stronger and weigh a little bit more to better endure the pounding that goes on in the paint.

On his ability to have grown taller in his twenties, my oldest daughter did just that.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:11 pm

Wright could be a good pick-and-roll player if he copied Zeller's approach. Tyler sort of filters through the lane and arrives at the basket about the same time as the ball. He spends minimum time under the hoop, which gives defenders minimum time to react.

In contrast, Wright zips out of the pick too quickly, darts for the basket, and waits there. By the time the pass comes, defenders have already zeroed in on him, and chances of an intercepted pass or deflection become very high.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:27 pm

Sam,

I have also noticed the difference between how Zeller and Wright handle themselves on the pick and roll.

Wright has probably relied on his athleticism since he was a kid to be successful while Zeller may have had to play smarter since he is not so athletic.

Related to this topic, I have wondered many times why players in many sports seem so slow to take on the little things that other players do? I do understand why guys like me could/can never dunk even if other guys on my team could because that is determined by height and athleticism, but your description of how both of these guys differ on how they operate in the pick and roll has nothing to do with athleticism. Just a matter of paying attention trying to make yourself better.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Clyde,

Right you are. The main difference is in timing, which (along with rhythm) is an all-too-underrated element of basketball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Sam,

Timing is very important as you mention, but learning "when" to move is not really athletic by nature. Going "faster" is very athletic, but not always better as in what you posted about Wright leaving the pick spot too early.

This is certainly an example of "learning" to be a better player

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:33 pm

Clyde,

I thought Brandan already showed improvement in his pick-and-roll timing in today's Kings game. Quick learner? Or was I too quick to jump on him?
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Sam,

Perhaps Wright reads your posts here on the forum?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Clyde,

Someone has to!
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:20 pm

I think the article is strange.  How can a player develop into his role in 6 games where the most minutes his has logged is 13 on two occasions?  He is getting 10.2 MPG.

One Brandon has to sit while the other Brandon plays.

I think that Coach Stevens may want to get him a lot more minutes.  Otherwise how will we really know if he should be part of the team going forward.

The Celtics have a chance to make the playoffs in the horrible Eastern Conference.  The Celtics can put points on the board so the #1 priority may be on defense.  Wright's defensive abilities must be put to the test.  

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down