That's What He Said, vs Clippers Empty That's What He Said, vs Clippers

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:57 pm

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/twhs-20150119-BOSLAC/

That's What He Said
Clippers 102 vs. Celtics 93
STAPLES Center - January 19, 2015

Brad Stevens
RE: Issues on offense:

We were one pass short for most of the game. We didn't move the ball. Almost all of our baskets in the first half were assisted and we were shooting 29 percent. The indicator is that we have to keep getting assisted baskets. We have to keep moving that thing. We have to make sure that we are finding the best shot. We took a lot of contested jump-shots in the first half, and those aren't good shots against this level of athlete. I thought we did a better job in the second half.

RE: Gauging the progress of the Celtics:

It is so hard to gauge the progress [of the team] because there is a change right now. I think we can gauge it individually. We're a totally different team than we were on November 1st; we're a totally different team than we were on January 1st. I think we will be able to gauge the collective progress after a month or so.

RE: Tayshun Prince's first game as a Celtic:

I didn't expect to play [Tayshaun Prince] nearly that much. I felt comfortable with him on the floor because he's really savvy and he's always in the right place, especially defensively. A couple times [Tayshaun Prince] looked at me like „where am I supposed to go?' because on offense I called the play, and luckily that was mostly in the second half, because then [our offense] was in front of our bench.

RE: Challenges teams face when they play the Clippers:

We had a lot of stuff that is somewhat correctable. But I also think... they [Los Angeles Clippers] were flying around from the get-go. The first offensive possession in front of our bench they missed the shot, but we were spinning so bad that they got the rebound. It was clear from that moment that we were going to have to be really good, because they were playing at a good level from just a movement standpoint. They're really athletic. Those two bigs [Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan] are a joke how athletic they are.

Marcus Smart

RE: Clippers player he looked forward to playing:

If I had to pick one [player I was excited to play against], I would probably say Jamal Crawford. I grew up watching him. I wouldn't say he was my favorite player – I didn't really have a favorite player – just really like his game. Being able to play him tonight was exciting for me.

RE: Development of his 3-point shot:

Like Coach [Brad] Stevens said, I am a better shooter than what my NCAA percentages would show. In college I took a lot of bad shots because I was on a team where I had to take a lot of bad shots. Here, I just have to knock down open shots and take the good ones. We have a lot of guys that can make plays: Sully [Jared Sullinger], Evan Turner, Kelly [Olynyk], Brandon Bass, Marcus Thornton, so I just need to be able to play off all those guys that make those plays and then shoot it.

Evan Turner

RE: The performance of Boston's bench:

[The bench] came out and they didn't stop competing. They gave us a lot of life, especially being down 20. They came back. Both of the Marcuses [Marcus Smart and Marcus Thornton] hit shots, Brandon [Bass] played tough, Kelly [Olynyk] too, and they did a lot of great things tonight.

Doc Rivers

RE: The game:

Our starters came back in and we had a twelve point lead. You thought that they would just take it away and we just did not. Other than that stretch, I thought we played an amazing defensive game. Offensively, we scored 102 [points]. We did not particularly shoot the ball well. We had great shots, and that is all you can ask for. It is a great thing for us that the shots were not going in, but the defense kept us and gave us the lead. Those are the types of wins you want every night.

RE: Los Angeles' bench:

You see the energy is so high right now on our team. I thought our bench came in defensively and did a nice job. We are starting to get that groove- you can see it- they [Clippers' bench] are starting to get some rhythm offensively. You can see even with Austin [Rivers], he is still not used to being aggressive and we have to do that. Spencer [Hawes] tonight, did not take the first option, went to the second and third option, and did not end up with the ball a lot, which is great. That is what we are trying to get that group to do, just the ball movement, attacking, going downhill, making the second pass and getting to the second picks. We had stretches of that tonight and that was nice.

RE: DeAndre Jordan's free throw shooting:

I think every night it will be a decision. I think he [DeAndre Jordan] handles it well when you take him out. I have left him in at times too. It is just one of those game to game things. He works on it; he knows it. It is something that people are going to use. I know going into every game that it is a decision I will probably have to make every night.

Chris Paul

RE: Boston intentionally fouling DeAndre Jordan:

As long as we defending, keep getting stops and stuff like that, we have the utmost confidence in [DeAndre Jordan] to shoot his free throws and to make them. Then we just have to keep defending. What it does too, is put us in the bonus and then when they cannot [foul] anymore, we start driving and get to the line.

RE: Los Angeles' starters playing the entire fourth quarter:

It is very unfortunate because we should have been better. We should not have let the [Celtics] back into the game but it happens. The good thing is that we were able to hold them off.

RE: DeAndre Jordan's impact:

I have not seen the stat sheet tonight but it has been a while like that for with [DeAndre Jordan]. Obviously, everybody in the basketball world can check their phones and look at the stats from the game. A lot of the stuff that DJ does, does not show up on the stats. He goes up there and contests a shot and does not block it and somebody else gets the rebound that does not show up on your phone. It is just one of those things that you have to be selfless and I think DJ is one of those guys. We do not do any of this stuff without him.

DeAndre Jordan

RE: Being fouled intentionally:

Honestly, it [being intentionally fouled] helps me get my scoring average up if I am making some [free- throws]. No, but honestly, I don't really think about it. The guys give me so much confidence when I go to the line. I try not to think about it as much. I obviously want to make them, but if I don't and we go down and get a stop, the score hasn't changed and we are still up by the same amount of points. It is Doc [Rivers]'s decision [whether or not to leave me in the game], whatever it may be.

RE: Lack of All-Star consideration:

When I was a little younger, I would think about [not getting All-Star consideration], but now I don't think about it as much. Blake [Griffin] sends me pictures and Facetimes me when he's there, so it's kind of like I'm there.
RE: Lack of recognition in the league:

I don't care [about recognition]. We know what our ultimate goal is at the end of the season. I'm happy for my teammates if they make it. Really, it's like we are all there. So, I really don't get too involved in it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down