bobc33
Outside
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
beat
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! Empty HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !!

Post by beat Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 am

Kid just turned 21 today...........he can now legally drink.

I'm not concerned about his shot. I get the impression he will never be a great shooter, perhaps a bit to muscular in the arms and shoulders. (Has there ever been a great shooting guard with his build?) I can't seem to think of one. The things he brings to the table and the better we seem to be as a team with him are the floor make shooting the ball even just average OK by me.

Sorry but James Young will have to wait a while longer.

beat

Last edited by beat on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! Empty Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !!

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 am

beat wrote:Kid just turned 21 today...........he can now legally drink.

I'm not concerned about his shot. I get the impression he will never be a great shooter, perhaps a bit to muscular in the arms and shoulders. (Has there ever been a great shooting guard with his build?) I can't seem to thing of one. The things he brings to the table and the better we seem to be as a team with him are the floor make shooting the ball even just average OK by me.

Sorry but James Young will have to wait a while longer.

beat

beat,

Vinny "The Microwave" Johnson had shoulders and arms like a linebacker and he was a pretty good shooter as I remember.

DWade is an inch shorter at 6'3", but only a few pounds lighter. He's not bad either.

Karl Malone, not a guard but a HUGE physical specimen that looked like he was carved out of granite, was pretty good too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:52 am

Bob

Vinny was only 200 LBS...and a couple inches shorter

1st year he only shot 39% from the field (lifetime 46%) and only a 25% lifetime shooter from three.

Wade is listed at 212...???( at least that is what I found)

His first year he shot 46% from the field (lifetime 49%) and lifetime from 3...28.8%

Smart at 36% from the field isn't that far behind Vinny's rookie line and his 32% from three is better than either.

And just by appearances..in my eye, Smart is build far better than either of those 2.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:06 pm

beat wrote:Bob

Vinny was only 200 LBS...and a couple inches shorter

1st year he only shot 39% from the field (lifetime 46%) and only a 25% lifetime shooter from three.

Wade is listed at 212...???( at least that is what I found)

His first year he shot 46% from the field (lifetime 49%) and lifetime from 3...28.8%

Smart at 36% from the field isn't that far behind Vinny's rookie line and his 32% from three is better than either.

And just by appearances..in my eye, Smart is build far better than either of those 2.

beat

beat,

Yep, Vinnie was 6'2", 200#, but look at him and tell me he doesn't have Smart's build.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! Vinnie-johnson

DWade's Wikipedia page says he's 6'4", 220#.  Basketball-reference.com says he's 6'4", 212#.  I always heard he was 6'3".  Must be NBA height inflation.  I know he has lost some weight, because his knees are in trouble, but before that I always heard 6'3", 220#.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! 2743498a3a61b318_181494079_10.preview

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCUS SMART !! Marcus-smart-nba-preseason-philadelphia-76ers-boston-celtics-850x560

Let's hope you're right and I'm wrong about his shooting. Nothing would please me more.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:18 pm

If we go back a bit further we have John Williamson and Mike Newlin, two other mesomorphs with feathery shooting touches.

These guys could pass for defensive backs.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Bob

Also those other 2 began there careers at 2 and 3 years older than Smart.

Neither can hold a candle to him defensively.

I really am not concerned about his shooting, I think he will spend time to make it "better" but it will probably never be better than average. Plus how many changes around them have occurred? I don't recall Detroit or Miami making a lot of moves in their younger years. How many different people has Smart be on the floor with? A little roster stability certainly could not hurt.

As we both know, there are 2 ends to a basketball court, excelling on one end and being adequate on the other is not all that bad.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:34 pm

I really am not concerned about his shooting, I think he will spend time to make it "better" but it will probably never be better than average. Plus how many changes around them have occurred? I don't recall Detroit or Miami making a lot of moves in their younger years. How many different people has Smart be on the floor with? A little roster stability certainly could not hurt.

As we both know, there are 2 ends to a basketball court, excelling on one end and being adequate on the other is not all that bad.  

beat

Beat,

I agree.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:36 pm

beat

Beat,

I agree.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:41 pm

beat

Beat,

I agree.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:49 pm

beat
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:04 pm

beat
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:14 pm

beat
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Beat, I think Bob really agrees.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:32 pm

beat
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Stupid system maintenance. They tell me to come back later, they don't tell me they are posting everything I sent while checking to see if their maintenance was done.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:36 pm

I hope BobH will let us know if he agrees..... Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Outside wrote:Beat, I think Bob really agrees.

If only my wife felt this way..........just sayin

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm not as worried about his eventual shooting ability as I am about his inability to guard speedier opponents.  His three-point shooting has improved this season.  His mid-range shooting has improved this season.  I see no reason why they can't keep improving and why he can't learn how to make a controlled drive to the hoop.  But I doubt he's going to gain much speed.  My hope is that his shooting will reach the level when he'll be considered a legitimate "2" and won't be force-fit into the "1" slot where he'll always be confronted by speedy opponents.  Yes, I know he's a decent passer, and he made a beauty at the end of the last game.  But that doesn't alter a lack of speed, and there's nothing wrong having a SG with passing skills.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Sam

Who guards the SPEEDY guards well now anyway? Perhaps other speedy guards....??? But truly how many of them are there??An even if he is playing the point does not mean he picks up the point as a defensive assignment. And once we get (if ever) a center that can at least alter penetration at the rim getting beat occasionally won't be as big a concern.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:58 pm

My biggest concern with Smart is still his hesitation to run the offense like a true point guard should/would/could/does.  His shooting is OK, his defense is OK overall, but he just does not seem to have the intuitive movements of the guys who are really good ball distributors.

This skill may be more natural than learned as you can see even certain 9 year olds in kids leagues "have it" when you can see some much older guys never have it.  you would think that an athlete like Bradley would have this skill if you only just looked at him, but he clearly does not and probably never did either.  Smart may be more similar to Bradley than we want.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Beat,

In the pros, it's seldom that the "1" and "2" switch defensive assignments.  The reason is that, if the opposing "1" is playing on your "1," it's very difficult for your "1" to find the opposing "2" in transition.  So, more often than not, it IS necessary for the "1" to be able to defend other "1s."  I still feel Marcus will be much more suited to become a better SG where his strength will be more relevant and his lack of speed will be less limiting.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:57 am

sam wrote:Beat,

In the pros, it's seldom that the "1" and "2" switch defensive assignments.  The reason is that, if the opposing "1" is playing on your "1," it's very difficult for your "1" to find the opposing "2" in transition.  So, more often than not, it IS necessary for the "1" to be able to defend other "1s."  I still feel Marcus will be much more suited to become a better SG where his strength will be more relevant and his lack of speed will be less limiting.

Sam

Gotta disagree Sam, at least in the guard position, between switches on picks, times teams just walk the ball up. and every time there is a whistle there is plenty of time to "find" your man. Certainly in  a transition situation you defend the basket first and in those situations there could be a lot of players defending a different person than they are assigned too.

beat

just to add few years ago Miami stuck Bron on Rondo, he didn't seem to have much problem finding him.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 am

Beat,

It SOUNDS good, but it's not practical.  If I'm the opposing coach on Team B and I know the "1" on Team A is going to try to pick up my SG on my every possession, I'm going to have the SG "cheat" and take off early whenever Team A shoots.  Sooner or later, the "1" on Team A is going to find his offensive concentration waning because he's so concerned about his defensive assignment beating him down the floor all the time.

You don't develop strategy based on exceptions.  It's an exception, rather than the rule, that play is stopped for free throws or out-of-bounds plays so that the "1" can find the opposing SG.

Moreover, one of the strategies of a floor general involves driving and either shooting or or dishing.  When the possession is over, he's often likely to find himself nearer the basket than his own perimeter.  The opposing SG is more likely to be around the perimeter guarding Team A's SG.  If the floor general is not blessed with speed, how's he going to do a good job of consistently picking up the opposing SG, who has a head start in transition?

If it's so easy to switch assignments, why has Smart been defensively exposed several times against speedier guards so far this season.  Why hasn't Brad switched assignments more often?

Yes, switching assignments can work for short spans of time.  Brad has put Bradley on speedier "1s" once in a while.  But, again, it's the exception rather than the rule.  It's not a good idea to allow the other team to force you to adjust to them, especially as a matter of routine.  You want it to be the other way around.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:09 am

Sam

Still disagree a 1 can pick up a 2 and visa versa under most circumstances

guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

As to the why?? have to ask Brad

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 am

Sam,
Sorry but I agree with Beat,in the past we saw the examples of Don Chaney and Jo Jo White and Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next