Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P.

+3
gyso
sinus007
Sam
7 posters

Go down

Should Sam contact Boston.com members about joining us at our annual Celtics event?

Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Vote_lcap86%Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Vote_rcap 86% 
[ 6 ]
Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Vote_lcap14%Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Empty Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P.

Post by Sam Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:35 pm

As we near the cutoff point on signing up for our annual get-together, it becomes increasingly apparent that we'll be only six strong, and five of them are in Bobc's party.  I'm sure our intimate group will have a good time.  But it's a far cry from the numbers we've experienced in the past.

I understand and empathize with the expressed reasons why a lot of people can't make it, and I hope we'll see them next year.  But I actually feel sheepish having let the Celtics set aside 21 seats for us with such few returns.  Since the Cavs will be the opponents, I expect they'd be able to find uses for the remaining 15 tickets.  But I'm also concerned about the possibility of giving the Celts representatives the impression that we talk big without backing it up.

So I have a possible solution, but it's something I want to pass by the entire board.  My idea is to open up the tickets to members of the Boston.com Celtics Forum.  I realize there may be some lingering antipathy on this forum for that one.  But I've been fortunate enough to maintain pretty good relations with them despite being a primary factor in the defections of many people to our board.  I make it a point to post over there on major holidays and at the beginning of the season; and my efforts are met with generally positive responses.

I could just go over there and post an invitation.  But I feel this decision is a matter of policy that could use inputs from our membership.  Is this kind of overture something with which you feel comfortable?  I'm arbitrarily setting a 2/3 vote to authorize me to make the contact.  Unfortunately, however, this will have to be a 24-hour poll because I have to make a decision within that period.

I don't have ulterior motives about gaining new members for our forum through the offer.  Neither would I turn them away, as long as they adhere to our "conviviality" rules.

The question is easy.  "Should Sam contact Boston.com members about joining us at our annual Celtics event?"  Yes or No.  As always, comments are welcome.

Thanks for your help,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Empty Re: Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P.

Post by sinus007 Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Sam,
I said yes. But since, unfortunately, I won't be participating in the party - should my vote count?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P. Empty Re: Important One-day Poll on Board Policy; Please respond A.S.A.P.

Post by gyso Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm on both sides of the fence in this one.

On the one hand (mine) I would vote YES.  The more the merrier.  But I'm just a dumb guy.

On the other hand (Janie's) I would vote NO.  She was extremely nervous about meeting a group of strangers the first time we went to a board get-together.  I assured her that you guys and gals were genuine and safe because of the time we all had spent on the board.  Vetted by your basic conviviality in an anonymous setting, so to speak.  She attended (somewhat reluctantly) and was very happy she did, when all was said and done.  She may have been even more reluctant to attend the first time if she knew we were stepping outside our group to invite more people.

As far as any vote, that would be 1 for the "Ayes" and 1 for the "Nays".  (Note: I did not actually vote, due to the following bit)

On the other hand (I got 3 - LOL),

So, now we are suggesting that we invite a group of truly total strangers that haven't gone through this same vetting process.  Even if it was just men going to the event, I would chose to stay out of it and let the participants decide.  In that vein, I would think that BobC's feelings on the subject should carry more weight than any vote of non-participants.

Just thinking out loud.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I won't be able to make this year's get-together, but how about offering it to specific BDC members?  Ones that you have some respect for and wouldn't mind if they did join this forum?

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:52 pm

BobH,

Thanks for your response and for your support on the other thread.  I can't claim to know any BDC people.  Each time I post over there (maybe four times a year), I get responses only from people I never heard of.  Combining that with the hassle of a lot of private mails, I think it'll have to be all or nothing.

I''m not sure it's a big deal anyway because I sort of doubt any of them would want to join our group.

As it is, I've spoken with Bobc, and we've agreed to cut out any eating together.  We'll just meet in the seats, enjoy (I hope) the game, and take off.  So, if I invite BDC people, it'll be just to pay $60 to sit together for a game.

My main purpose in even suggesting this is to consider some way for our board not to look like small potatoes to the Celtics.  But even that's no big deal.

To anyone else who wonders whether his/her vote should count if (s)he won't be attending, the answer is a resounding "Yes."  As I said before, this is a policy matter that could potentially recur in the future under certain circumstances, and it'll be really helpful to know what the mood of this board is on the matter.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 pm

I am fine with inviting BDC people. Brandon and his family will be visiting me for the weekend and I'll be tour guide extraordinaire. (Beat don't worry I'll be able to show them the 27 different places I've worked around Greater Boston)

We'll have a good time regardless as it will be their first Celtics game and first visit to Boston, though it won't quite be as good without all the regular attendees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for your vote, Bob.  It was nice speaking with you.  I look forward to seeing you and meeting Brandon and company.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:00 pm

I voted yes, mostly because I think conviviality can be contagious, especially in a face-to-face setting.

The other thought that came to mind is that it's a shame we couldn't pull something together to use the other tickets to benefit Wounded Warriors or something like that, but that would take time to organize, raising the necessary funds might be problematic, and there would be secondary logistics to work out, like transportation to the arena and suitability of the seats for potentially physically handicapped veterans. Something to consider for the future perhaps.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:26 am

Outside, I'm not sure I was clear, but these tickets cost $60 apiece.  Those we do not use will fetch $60 elsewhere of the Celtics' choice.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks, everyone.  I think I'll issue an invitation to purchase balcony seats for the Cavs game, sitting as a group.  Simple as that.  I'm not all that optimistic that any BDC member will want to avail himself/herself of the opportunity.

Thanks for voting.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:48 am

Sam

I will gladly contribute $60.00 to purchase a ticket to be given to a Wounded Warrior type recipient.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:12 am

Sam

Didn't see your previous post before I posted. But the offer still stands if you don't have any success with the BDC GROUP.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:42 am

Thanks Swish.  Thanks VERY much.  Why don't I ask Molly whether they have a program already set up for that kind of thing.  I know I'd be happy to contribute myself.  

I'm acutely aware of how tight money is nowadays, and I wouldn't want to appear to be soliciting donations from members—even in a charitable cause.  But, if I could post a way for people to contribute privately if they wish to, without any fanfare (or Sam's fare), I can't see anything wrong with that.

Just as a matter of interest, I have just posted the offer on the Boston.com board.  I've received only one response—a snarky question as to whether our gesture represents a "slippery attempt" to "poach" their members.  I believe I replied convincingly but with plenty of restraint.  Perhaps this will go own as "No deed every goes unpunished," but the possibility of that outcome has never once dissuaded me from doing something that has a worthwhile intent.  As a matter of fact, I recently realized that the day of that game is my wife's birthday; and she wasn't planning on attending the event.  So, as I quickly sift through the possible implications of that ticklish situation, I think I might very well just tell Molly not to mail my ticket but to consider it a donation.

Thanks again, Swish, to both you and Outside for picking up on the wounded veterans possibility.  just one of many, many indications of what classy people our membership consists of.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:57 am

Sam

I'll make that an even $100.00. Refreshments included for any deserving veteran or Boys or Girls club type organization.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:56 am

Sam, I figured they cost something like that. As I mentioned, it's short notice to pull something like that together, but if Molly can help make it happen, then it sounds like we might be able to turn at least some of those unused seats into a worthy cause.

Sorry for adding a complication to your event planning. Hopefully, Molly has the contacts already to make this a simple process.

I'd be happy to make a donation. Please let me know the details of how to make that happen.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks, Outside and Swish.  I've been trying to get in touch with Mollie, and I'll keep trying throughout the afternoon and, if that fails, tomorrow morning.

I believe the Celtics devote one game per season to wounded warriors rather than to do it on a game-by-game basis, but Mollie will be able to straighten me out or refer me to the right person.

I'm actually getting a very favorable response from Boston.com.  In fact, the one person who was initially snarky has apologized to me.  A number of them are strongly considering coming to the game, which is a reason that I don't want to deplete our block of set-aside tickets that won't be used by board members or their guests.  It may be preferable that those who can and want  to support Wounded Warriors pool our resources (@ $50 or $60 apiece) and make a gift of it to the Celtics only to be used for Wounded Warriors wherever and whenever appropriate.

Anyway, it's a great idea and an extremely worthy cause, and i'll try my best to arrive at the best possible arrangement to pass by the board.

Thanks again.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Sam,

I'm glad things turned around from that initial response from BDC. I agree that using the tickets that way is the preferred route for this game and we can explore the Wounded Warriors option for another time.

Thanks for going the extra mile to make use of the tickets instead of just giving them back.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down