Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics

+2
wide clyde
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics Empty Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:05 pm

http://empirewritesback.com/2015/03/24/brooklyn-nets-poor-outlook-trade-boston-celtics/

Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics
by Joshua Simons 11h ago

The Brooklyn Nets didn’t just lose to the Boston Celtics last night, they also lost to the Celtics two offseasons ago.

Before their 119-91 blowout loss to the Celtics, the Nets found themselves a half game behind their division rivals, and still in contention for a third consecutive post season birth.

Despite near identical records, these teams are heading in opposite directions. The Celtics are a team on the rise, and the Nets on the decline.

The future is definitely brighter in Boston than in Brooklyn ….in large part due to the Nets.

Draft night 2013: Coming off a 49-win season, Nets were looking to build on their success and popularity, as they prepared for their second season in Brooklyn.

Boston was in full rebuild mode. After a 41-win season and first-round playoff exit, Boston started to dismantle a team that had been one of NBA’s best since ’08.

A match was made between these teams that culminated in blockbuster draft night trade. In the deal Brooklyn dealt three first-round picks in ’14 ’16 and ‘18 (and rights to swap 2017 picks) along with Keith Bogans, MarShon Brooks, Kris Humphries, Kris Joseph, and Gerald Wallace for veterans Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry, and D.J. White

At the time, the Nets were hailed for bold efforts. Acquiring two future hall of famers to go with an already in place solid core created a feeling of optimism that team could rival the Miami Heat as the best team in the Eastern Conference.

Two years later, no player from that trade is still on the Nets roster. Their roster is old, and they have lost a bunch of draft picks. Plus with max contracts for veterans like Deron Williams, they have very little salary cap room to sign free agents.

On the other hand, Boston has a solid young core of guards Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley and forward Jared Sullinger to go along with several first-round picks and cap space to spend on free agents this offseason. The trade put them on a path to rebuilding with the types of assets needed to build a contender.

Tonight’s blowout loss to the younger up and coming Celtics was a another reminder that the Celtics outlook is brighter than the Nets.

And they have the Nets to thank for that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics Empty Re: Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics

Post by wide clyde Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Absolutely ZERO sympathy heading to the Nets from where I live.

They went for broke, gambled and lost. Too bad for them.

Can't remember who they got (Joe Johnson?), but they also have to give Atlanta their first pick this year I think.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics Empty Re: Brooklyn Nets have a poor outlook from trade with Boston Celtics

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Garnett, Pierce and Terry are all gone along with the draft picks. And no title.  I'd say that there hasn't been a "Net" gain.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Is this a new revelation? Joshua Simmons is writing about the fleecing of the NJ Nets.

A topic that was discussed and laughed about almost two season ago.

Information is moving in reverse warp speed.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Bob - Didn't see this thread until now or I would have posted this link here to a New York Times article on the Nets that I needlessly started another thread with:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/sports/basketball/owners-grandstanding-confronts-nets-with-a-dim-future.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 am

It seems that basketball franchises in the New York Metropolitan Area just aren't destined for good luck or great success.  Must be the drinking water.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:41 am

Sam, I live in NYC and I'm told that the water is among the best in the world. So I guess it must be the pipes that bring us all that great water.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down