mrkleen09
Pumpsie Green
dbrown4
swedeinestonia
bobheckler
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

KNICK CELTIC DEAL FINALIZED - MULTIPLE PLAYERS Empty KNICK CELTIC DEAL FINALIZED - MULTIPLE PLAYERS

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Celtics, Knicks Finalize Tentative Trade For Nate

Celtics Links

Feb 18, 2010 12:29 PM EST
Multiple sources say the Knicks have reached a tentative agreement on a deal with Boston sending Nate Robinson and a second player to the Celtics for Eddie House, J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker.

Marcus Landry will be the other player sent to Boston, according to a source that spoke with RealGM's Christopher Reina.

Back to top Go down

KNICK CELTIC DEAL FINALIZED - MULTIPLE PLAYERS Empty Re: KNICK CELTIC DEAL FINALIZED - MULTIPLE PLAYERS

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Posted this on the Nate Robinson thread. Old news now, but has some statements about Landry.
Latest update, as of 10:27 Thursday

Deal is now:

Nate and Marcus Landry (?) for Eddie, JR AND WALKER

WTF?

Here's the info on Landry. He's a rookie out of Wisconsin. 6'7", 230#. UNDRAFTED. Brother of Carl Landry (just traded from Houston). Defensive minded (probably why Danny likes him better than Walker).

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_landry/index.html

bob.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

KNICK CELTIC DEAL FINALIZED - MULTIPLE PLAYERS Empty Re: KNICK CELTIC DEAL FINALIZED - MULTIPLE PLAYERS

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Dunno.

Was dubious when it was just nate for house, now its house, walker and giddens for nate and someones relative? Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:09 pm

If this trade rumor/deal is accurate, our roster would look like this:

Rondo
Ray
Paul
KG
Perk
Sheed
Nate
Tony
Quis
Davis
Scal
Shelden
Landry

That's 13 players.

The CBA says that a team MUST have a minimum of 13 players (12 active, 1 inactive) for any period of time over 2 weeks. The NBA guarantees (I don't know how) an average roster size of 14 players. If they do not meet this minimum, the league will be surcharged. The league pays whom? The Players Association?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q66

So, my gut tells me at least one more player is heading this way. I'm thinking that no owner would want to pay the Players Association when all they have to do to avoid that is to sign an extra practice player.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:48 pm

This per Marc Spears on Twitter

Nate traveling to LA, may be in uniform tonight against the Lakers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nba&id=1153

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Looks like Danny has placed his bet. "Starters and veterans this is your championship to win or lose. There is basically no difference between the team that started the season 23-5 and this one right now. Actually, I just made it slightly better. I got you a scoring b/u point guard. Eddie just wasn't going to take us to the promised land. Not this year. My job is done. No more holes. You're either all going to the top together or going down in flames together. Now shut the @$&%^& up and start winning and playing like the champions you are! Halleluah!! Holy @$&%^. Now, where's the Tylenol?!!"
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Looks like Danny has placed his bet. "Starters and veterans this is your championship to win or lose. There is basically no difference between the team that started the season 23-5 and this one right now. Actually, I just made it slightly better. I got you a scoring b/u point guard. Eddie just wasn't going to take us to the promised land. Not this year. My job is done. No more holes. You're either all going to the top together or going down in flames together. Now shut the @$&%^& up and start winning and playing like the champions you are! Halleluah!! Holy @$&%^. Now, where's the Tylenol?!!"

dbrown,

Funny. I'm not sure I can see a devout Mormon like Danny saying some of that stuff at the end, so I'll say it for him.

Holy @$&%^!!!!

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Holy Cannolis!

Time to dig the trenches and put on the blue collar stuff! Time to go to work Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:19 pm

This trade isn't likely to change anything. Its the first unit that is the problem, not the bench.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:25 pm

You inject 10 more points per game into that line up - even with all its current problems, and the Celtics have 3 or 4 more wins then they do right now....and that would put them - tied with Orlando.

This deal absolutely helps the team...and with it being a 3 for 2 - there is room on the roster for one more deal before the day is done.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Obviously there were no takers for Tony Allen or Scal. I am sure Danny would have given them up if he could have. I know TA has been playing okay but.....he is still TA.

Okay...I am sitting here waiting for all the garbage to come my way about Ray not being traded. Sorry, as you all know, I am glad. Let's hope the second half of the year brings some joy to this board. We need something to shout about!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Obviously there were no takers for Tony Allen or Scal. I am sure Danny would have given them up if he could have. I know TA has been playing okay but.....he is still TA.

Okay...I am sitting here waiting for all the garbage to come my way about Ray not being traded. Sorry, as you all know, I am glad. Let's hope the second half of the year brings some joy to this board. We need something to shout about!!!

rosalie,

You got your wish, Ray is still in green.

If we could have improved by trading him, I'd have been all for it. However, I'd be lying if I said I'm sorry he wasn't. I love Ray. If Nate can take Ray's ballhandling job on the second unit away from him, I think his shooting % will go up.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm

The Celts will add 10 points per game by getting Nate Robinson? Does that mean the league is going to allow the Celtics to play six guys at a time? There isn't that much difference per minute in the scoring averages of Eddie and Nate. There may very well be ways in which Nate will improve the mix and scoring will increase accordingly, but simply adding him won't automatically add 10 points per game to the roster.

On another note, Danny Aings is scheduled to guest on Boston's radio station WEEI (850 AM) as soon as he's received league confirmation on the trade.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm definitely disappointed that we have to give up J.R. AND Billy Walker! I thought with a little meaningful playing time they could have developed in to solid pieces on this team.

However I am ecstatic that we get an athletic scorer, someone that will be able to run with Rondo and score a few points here and there.

Rondo2Nate Alley-oops anyone? Shocked
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Banks

One thing I think for sure when he's on the floor things should not slow down. Could lead to some easy hoops, and maybe we can get 10 more PPG, we all shall see in due time!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Sam wrote:The Celts will add 10 points per game by getting Nate Robinson? Does that mean the league is going to allow the Celtics to play six guys at a time? There isn't that much difference per minute in the scoring averages of Eddie and Nate. There may very well be ways in which Nate will improve the mix and scoring will increase accordingly, but simply adding him won't automatically add 10 points per game to the roster.

On another note, Danny Aings is scheduled to guest on Boston's radio station WEEI (850 AM) as soon as he's received league confirmation on the trade.

Sam

Sam - I think you are selling Nate Robinson way short.

He is averaging 6 points per game more than Eddie (and that is with very erratic playing patterns) and is a +12 player (Eddie is a +5). So lets say for case of argument that he is only worth 6 points per game more than Eddie. You dont think the would automatically give the Celtics a couple of extra wins?

There is an 8 point difference in Celtics losses vs. Celtics wins. That alone says to me that, on a number of occasions - an extra 5 or 6 points would have made all the difference. Maybe you read the stats differently, but Nate Robinson is a + player all day long - and an upgrade from Eddie House.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Isnt Robinson playing more minutes too?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Per 36 minutes.

Robinson is 19.5
House is 15.2
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Right. Not that much difference. I don't lend any credence to the +/- stat in evaluating individuals because they're group statistics. Unless Eddie and Nate somehow played with the same group, comparisions are spurious.

Within the available time left in the season, will he learn the plays as well as Eddie knows them? Will Nate assimilate the Celtics' complicated defensive patterns readily? Will he space the floor as well as Eddie did so that other Celtics bench players can score as well as they have been recently (when the bench has been bailing out the starters)? Will he spend more time than Eddie in the paint, possibly inducing Sheed to drift outside more? Who knows? Nate also takes three more shots per 36 minutes than Eddie does. Who's the more efficient scorer?

There are all sorts of chemistry issues to be resolved. But, simply because he scores slightly more than Eddie does—with a different team in a different dynamic—is not indicative of anything. Perhaps Robinson will add 10 points to the Celtics' totals. Perhaps he'll add 30. Perhaps he'll bomb out with the other Celtics' bench players. But that's only opinion at this stage; there's nothing tangible to support it.

Last edited by Sam on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:29 pm

I liked Eddies effort on defense too. Hopefully Nate can match it.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Not much of a difference in numbers but look who Nate had to play with?
Perhaps he migh fair better here! We shall see!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Robinson is better in every possible category - plus he is a better ball handler, faster, better defender, more athletic - and has a much better +/-

I will take our chances with Nate.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm

A sad day for the C's.......Knicks, though, I thought did quite well in each of their deals. Obviously the new management team there understands how to play the cap game and win.

I will root hard for the C's in the playoffs, as it will likely be many years before their return to contention after this season.

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

I certainly hope Nate gives the Celtics an infusion of energy and makes them more competitive. I'll be rooting for him. My point (which now seems to be in the distant past) was that stats are not automatically transferrable from team to team and situation to situation.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Jerry Tarkanian wrote:A sad day for the C's.......Knicks, though, I thought did quite well in each of their deals. Obviously the new management team there understands how to play the cap game and win.

I will root hard for the C's in the playoffs, as it will likely be many years before their return to contention after this season.

Tark

Tark,

I loved Eddie and am interested in seeing how well Nate will fit in, but I do not consider it a HUGELY one-sided deal. JR and Walker were non-factors. They never played well enough to make it in the NBA (being impressive in the D-league doesn't translate). JR just had knee surgery. Walker has had multiple knee surgeries and was looking more and more like a one-trick pony. When you're a 6'6", 225# forward and your one trick is a spin move in traffic, that's not gonna cut it.

As far as the rest of the Knick trades go, I presume you're talking about T-Mac. T-Mac is going to be 31 in a few months, he played less than half a season last year (and shot under 39% from the field) and has only played 6 games this year (and shot 37% from the field and 67% from the line in them. He has had 0 offensive rebounds and 0 steals this year). His last game was 12/23/09. I have long felt that T-Mac benefited from the "Gerald Green Glow". A fantastic athlete who puts fans in the seats but is fundamentally flawed as a player. That's who the Knicks traded for. They traded for a player who is chronically injured and hasn't played in a game in almost 2 months and who didn't play in the playoffs last year because he was injured in the second half of the year. Damaged goods. If the Knicks didn't get T-Mac SOLELY to clear $23M of cap space so they can enter the Lebron James Sweepstakes next year, then they are dumber than rocks.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next