Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says

2 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says Empty Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says

Post by bobheckler Sat May 23, 2015 1:56 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/05/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_jae.html

Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says

Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says 17573907-mmmain
FILE: Cleveland Cavaliers' Tristan Thompson (13) drives past Boston Celtics' Jae Crowder (99) during the fourth quarter of a first-round NBA playoff basketball game Tuesday, April 21, 2015, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Mark Duncan)
Print Email Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on May 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has indicated he would like to keep restricted free agent Jae Crowder, and team president Rich Gotham appears to agree.

From the Boston Globe:

"Jae is definitely a priority," Gotham said. "He added a lot to our team. He added toughness, energy and confidence. I think he gave our guys a little swagger and I think his attitude and the way he plays the game rubbed off on our team."

Boston will have the right to match any offer Crowder receives in free agency. Showcasing defensive versatility that freed the coaching staff to stick him on anyone from Russell Westbrook to Zach Randolph, the rugged forward played himself into a bigger contract this past season. He still needs to tweak some of his shot selection and improve his 3-point accuracy, but he demonstrated a knack for attacking closeouts and facilitating offense from the weak side. At 24, he still has upside to grow into, and he's coming off a series in which he was Boston's best option to defend LeBron James.

"I think Jae was particularly good in the playoffs," Ainge said at his end-of-season press conference. "He played well. He played with great energy and provided a lot of spark. He clearly was our best defender on LeBron in the series. But I don't know if he exceeded expectations.

"I think Jae is a player that was improving with the opportunity that he got to play for us. And I think he's got a lot of upside still. I think he can still get better over the next few years. But we're excited about Jae, and we're excited about what he brings to our team, and his versatility, and his defensive ability to play a few different positions. We think he has a very bright future."

Crowder sprained his knee during Game 4 of the Cleveland series, but is said to be progressing well.

bob
MY NOTE:  Sam can book the church.

Interesting, after the rumor of us going after Demarre Carroll.  I have no idea how we could have all those 3s at the same time (Turner, Wallace, Young, Crowder, Carroll; we can forget about Gigi I guess) so, maybe, we won't.  No Carroll, just rumor (possible).  No Wallace, he's bought out or included in a trade where we give up a pick to unload him (unlikely).  Or maybe Rich Gotham is just making it sound like Crowder is just SO valuable, SO VERY VERY VALUABLE, that to get him in a trade you'd have to give up a lot.  Danny has his hand up Gotham's back and is making his lips move as Danny throws his voice...

Basketball is the season of GM liars which means that with the exception of the few months between the trade deadline and the end of each teams' season is the only even moderately truthful part of the year.

And, if you're going to include a file foto of Crowder in an article of him being talked up, did Jay King have to use one of him getting blown past by a power forward?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says Empty Re: Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Jae Crowder is 'definitely a priority,' team president says

Post by Sam Sat May 23, 2015 5:51 pm

But you never saw the spectacular defensive play Crowder made after Thompon grabbed Jae's groin.

My bet is that Jae is extremely appreciative of the fact that this is exactly the team and the coach that will help him maximize his skills.  Obviously, that doesn't mean he'll be happy either to work for peanuts or eat only peanuts in the near future; and who knows what other acquisitions could do to his opportunity with the Celts.  But, from his first or second game as a Celtic, I've had him pegged as a perfect Celtics lifer; and I do claim to have more than a nodding acquaintance with what it takes to be a Celtics lifer.

Now, if BobH and I could only prevail on Jae NOT to take that obligatory errant three in his every first minute on the floor, things would be just peachy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down