Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents

4 posters

Go down

Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents Empty Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents

Post by bobheckler Mon May 25, 2015 11:46 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/ainge-consulted-thomas-about-pending-free-agents

Ainge consulted with Thomas about pending free agents
May 24, 2015, 11:45 pm

Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents Byline-csn-staff

Danny Ainge has shown that a rebuilding Celtics squad requires a great deal of moving parts. Unless your name is Marcus Smart, your roster spot probably isn't safe.

It sounds, however, like Isaiah Thomas has moved into the "untouchable" category. The point guard, who was acquired from the Phoenix Suns at the trade deadline, had an excellent season on the court with the Celtics. And his influence has begun to extend beyond the court.

“Danny said if there’s any free agent out there I’m interested in, to let him know,” Thomas told The Boston Globe's Adam Himmelsbach by telephone. “That has me excited. For him to ask for my input means a lot, because it means I’m definitely, right now, a part of the future, and they also value your word and what you think about the game of basketball. It means a lot, and it’s a mutual respect we have. Now, hopefully, we can get a few guys.”

The message seems to be that Thomas is here to stay, and that he can finally find a place to live in Boston. For some of the 2014-15 season, he lived in a hotel, and still hasn't signed a lease on an apartment, according to The Globe.

As for who he wants to play with, Thomas wouldn't give a name.

“A defensive-minded player,” he said. “It’d be nice to get one of those in the draft. A lot of the big men out there could definitely help us out. But I know Danny is always up to something.”

bob
MY NOTE:  "That has me excited. For him to ask for my input means a lot, because it means I’m definitely, right now, a part of the future".  Couldn't he cram any more conditionals into that sentence?  Because I would have really liked for him to absolutely have joined the Celtics sooner, at least as of today, and moving forward until such a time as he gives me reason to change my mind and make me rethink my firm opinion.

One thing he got right and said without any equivocation, "Danny is always up to something".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents Empty Re: Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents

Post by rambone Mon May 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Thomas is longtime friends with Kevin Love, since they were 11.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents Empty Re: Ainge Consulted with Isaiah Thomas About Pending Free Agents

Post by wide clyde Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 pm

If Ainge has actually asked Thomas who he likes as a potential free agent player(s) for the Celtics this is a great move by Ainge. In fact, I would think that every player on the team should be asked the same exact question if only to get a player's view of lots of other players.

Back in the old days a player who grew up in say LA would probably have played very little against guys in the mid west or the east, but in the last 15 years or so these better high school (and even better pre-high school) players have traveled all around the country playing in AAU tournaments instead of just playing in local events in the off season. Young high school players even travel many miles during their seasons to play in big Christmas tournaments every year so this is another way to get to know and play against many more other players from all over the country to go along with all the summer camps they have attended.

I mention this as a good idea by Ainge because today's players are much more likely to know more about so many other guys these days, and what they know, if conveyed, may have an influence on what direction management goes on a certain player.

Today's NBA players should be a great source of information for their GMs. I almost wonder if other GMs ask their players like Ainge is asking Thomas?

If nothing else, Mr. Ainge always seems to be working as the Celtics general manager which is good for us Cs fans.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon May 25, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm always looking for the story behind the story.  In this apparent move, I see more than simply inflating Isaiah's motivation and even more than the possibility of obtaining input that could make a drafting difference.

I know some people have found Isaiah's 41% shooting with the Celtics to be disconcerting.  However, what I've seen marks him as an extremely gifted volume basketball player.  And volume basketball is what I hope the Celtics will be playing in at least the near future.  Therefore, a connection of Thomas with the future is, I feel, a connection of volume basketball with the future.

I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that the three-pointer seems destined to be a major element in the Celtics future.  I'm gratified to note that the Celtics took more two-pointers than the average NBA team last season, and I'm willing to bet that differential increased in March and April.  Moreover, 8 of their 10 regular rotation players shot at least 45% on twos.  A combination of volume two-point ball and decent shooting of the two-ball is a promising prospect.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down