Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill

5 posters

Go down

Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill Empty Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:05 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/6/27/8852919/how-terry-rozier-has-talent-and-boston-celtics-fans-danny-ainge-nba-draft-2015-need-a-chill-pill

Terry Rozier has talent and Boston Celtics fans need to take a chill pill
By Kevin O'Connor  @KevinOConnorNBA on Jun 27, 2015, 4:17p 267

Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill GettyImages-467903984.0
Elsa/Getty Images
Terry Rozier could impact the Celtics in the future as a two-way player.

Danny Ainge's selection of Terry Rozier with the 16th pick in the 2015 NBA Draft took practically every Boston Celtics fan by surprise, so much so that they were blinded to see that the Louisville guard is actually the type of player they have a habit of falling in love with.

"He's really athletic and really tough and I love those kind of guys," Ainge said on draft night. "I think our team will love him. I think our fans will love him. I think he has a great upside as a two-way player."

It won't take more than one summer league game for Rozier to remind Celtics fans of Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley on defense. At 6'2" with good size, Rozier has excellent lateral quickness and the strength to guard larger players. He grinds, hustles for loose balls and rebounds, and plays with an edge.

Here's Rozier causing a turnover by being his pesky-self using his long 6'8" wingspan:

http://fat.gfycat.com/CreamyUnluckyBluejay.webm

But it's Rozier's knack for making these types of plays in clutch moments that'll win fans over, much like Smart did last season. Here he is forcing a turnover in the final seconds of Louisville's NCAA Tournament win over UC Irvine:

http://fat.gfycat.com/AgonizingWeeklyIberianmidwifetoad.webm

"He's a basketball player who wins and impacts winning," said coach Brad Stevens. "The one thing that was consistent when talking to people around him, whether it was coaches, assistant coaches, players, managers, is that the kid studies and works as much as anybody. I think that's a huge quality. He wants to be really good."

It's not hard for Rozier to find the motivation to succeed because of his upbringing. His mother and grandmother raised him in dangerous areas of Ohio, and his father has served two separate prison sentences throughout Rozier's life. He is currently serving a 12-year prison sentence for his role in a robbery and kidnapping in 2003, and is schedule for release in 2018.

But Rozier has learned a valuable lesson from his father: work hard and don't end up like me.

"I don't want to end up in his shoes," Rozier said in 2011. "His life is not over, but I don't want to end up like him where I put myself in a bad spot to get locked up."

Rozier has used this motivation to develop a strong work ethic in the gym and the weight room. He was just a lanky kid in high school, but quickly added muscle to become the stalky player that'll grace the parquet floor this season. He spends extensive time watching film of his favorite player, Dwyane Wade, who he tries to resemble on the floor.

"Terry has mimicked D-Wade so much I think sometimes he thinks he is," said Louisville head coach Rick Pitino.

That confident mindset works both for and against Rozier, since his risk-taking allows him to make breathtaking winning plays, but also leads to many frustrating mistakes.

http://fat.gfycat.com/OblongNeglectedFireant.webm

"The biggest thing is he just has that burst," Stevens said. "He's got that burst that the really good point guards have."

Rozier is a downhill pick-and-roll playmaker who uses his speed to his advantage. The ball doesn't slow him down and he's very good at splitting screens like he does in the video above. He showed flashes of using different speeds towards the latter part of his sophomore season at Louisville, though he must incorporate chance of pace more consistently in the NBA.

But Rozier lives in the paint and can penetrate with ease using a plethora of aggressive, speedy moves like crossovers and inside-out dribbles. He's the only player on Boston's roster other than Isaiah Thomas who doesn't require a screen to get into the teeth of the defense.

Rozier does a good job of incorporating a floater that has potential. This could be a valuable tool for him in the NBA, and it's often what separates average scorers from the good ones, since it's a creative tool for smaller scorers to use.

But he is a poor finisher at the rim, largely due to his inability to finish with his left hand and his subpar shot selection. He'd force plays that he had no business even attempting, but he likely wouldn't have been inclined to make those types of plays as frequently as he did if Louisville had better spacing and more scorers.

http://fat.gfycat.com/MelodicIndolentAmericanwirehair.webm

The Cardinals shot 30.4 percent from three last season, which ranked 315 of 351. That's like how Thomas had to put the Celtics on his back against Cleveland. But without a secondary scorer on the floor to help him, he was unable to get anything going offensively. The entire season was much like that for Rozier.

"[Louisville] didn't shoot it like some of his teams in the past, so obviously that's going to clog the lane," Stevens said. "But he's still getting there almost every time he drives it. He's got a real good burst and real good body control. He has to get better at finishing with a variety of finishes, but we saw a bunch of those in one-on-one segments and workouts."

http://fat.gfycat.com/UnitedFondCusimanse.webm

The wider spacing the NBA floor naturally provides should help him get better angles driving to the bucket, but he still has flashed the ability to make plays for his teammates even if lanes aren't there, like he does in the two clips above. He loves using a hop step to snake into the teeth of the defense and on the assist to Montrezl Harrell, he uses a nice hesitation move to put the defender on skates.

With a 1.7 assist-turnover ratio, he isn't always the most willing passer, and his feel for the game is below average, but the Celtics probably feel confident that he'll be able to improve in this area due to the system that'll influence him. Stevens was highly successful in getting a similarly raw point guard in Smart to improve his decision-making this past season, which bodes well for Rozier.

But that wouldn't matter if he weren't willing to accept this level of instruction, which is where his work ethic comes into play.

"I really feel like it was my fault [we lost in the Elite 8]," Rozier told the Courier-Journal. " pressing too much, trying to do too much, not letting the game come to me, being that competitor who wanted to win so bad - I just feel like I overdid it. We came up short mainly because of me. I was hurt after that game. I was hurt. It hit me out of nowhere. I said to [my teammate], 'I feel like it's my fault.' I just busted out crying. It was just a lot, man. It was a lot."

This self-doubting attitude could work to his advantage in Boston. Combined with the instruction of Stevens and an ability to admit when he's at fault could lead to an increased level of accountability and therefore better decision-making on the court.

http://fat.gfycat.com/UnitedEqualAlbatross.webm

Stevens can get creative using Rozier off-ball. Though he shot only 30.6 percent from three, he's a solid standstill spot up shooter that uses the hop to get his shots off quickly. This will allow him to play on the court with Smart or Thomas.

Rozier's ability to shoot off the catch also gives him potential off screens. With his speed, he can race through screens to get open, though he lacks experience in that play type. He was used more frequently in dribble handoffs, which he excelled at.

Overall, Rozier has very good shooting mechanics to build on. Having poor-to-average shooters "get more reps" as a means of sparking improvement is a road to nowhere, like it may have been for Phil Pressey, but "more reps" might be all Rozier really needs. He uses the turn, the sweep and sway, and the dip to effectively shoot from deep. Simply getting his landing narrower should improve his percentages off the catch.

However, the Celtics must also diagnose a problem with his release. He misses "left" and "right" as opposed to just "short" and "long," which suggests there could be a mechanical problem with his fingers or wrist. Once that's diagnosed, it must be corrected. It's possible this problem is related to his unbalanced landing.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/IgnorantBabyishIndri.webm

Rozier needs to improve his shot off the dribble, but he is solid from mid-range. He's capable of pulling up out of the pick-and-roll, as displayed above in that sensational Wade-like weave through the defense into the jumper, but he hasn't shown he can make defenders pay for going under screens by draining threes over a screen. Developing this would add a new dimension to his game, but it doesn't appear to be something he'll utilize as a rookie.

Boston's roster is currently unbalanced; they have six "primary ball handlers" and need to trim that number down. But it's too early in the summer to discuss what level of opportunity Rozier could receive this season. Free agency has yet to begin and the roster could look dramatically different in just a few weeks.

The bottom-line is the Boston Celtics drafted a player they believe had the highest upside of the options available. While it remains to be seen how he fits into the team's plans this season and in the future, he is undoubtedly a talented two-player in a promising situation that could help him develop rapidly. It might not even be long before fans are clamoring for Terry Rozier to get more playing time.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill Empty Re: Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:48 am

Agree with the title of this article regarding Rozier and the reaction of Celtics fans to this draft overall.

Celtics worked a host of players out, and had good NCAA scouting.  They should know what they have and how it best fits the roster going forward.

3 of the 4 players selected should have an opportunity to contribute right away.  Rozier should quickly compete for the starter's spot at PG, Mickey should get good minutes in the rotation at PF and could end up starting there within a year.  Hunter should team with Thomas in giving the team badly needed offense off the bench.  The fact they were willing to look at Thornton, another PG, with their fourth pick, shows they are serious about plugging that hole right away.

Many Celtics beat writers and fans seem to need to take a sedative, wash it down with a bourbon or two, and log some nap time.  A chill is seriously needed given the complete and negative over-reaction to this draft.  Many of those same Celtics beat writers and fans seem to be either uninformed or unwilling to let building the roster take the path and time it needs.

Rozier, Mickey and Hunter added to Smart, Turner, Zeller, Thomas and Crowder could represent a very young and very talented nucleus for the long term. With a core like this we're not building some very short "window" like we just saw, but more of an ongoing competitor over an extended time period.

Time to chill, indeed.  Then it's time to open some eyes as well.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill Empty Re: Terry Rozier Has Talent and Boston Celtic Fans Need To Take A Chill Pill

Post by wide clyde Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:30 pm

NYCelt,

You have some good points, but after last year's very nice move upwards in the win column many fans (OK, at least me) hope for an even better season this next year. The four guys you mentioned may indeed turn out to be quality pieces of the team's core for many years, but at the same time they are not likely to become major parts of this years' team getting to 50 wins.

If one of these four draft picks achieves near top of the rotation minutes and performance I certainly will not be upset, but at the same time I will not be upset if the best of them is only at the bottom of the rotation because even 16th picks are usually not expected to make big contributions to a playoff team.

I would say that most people are not upset with these four guys as individuals, but more upset that one part of the summer season (draft, free agency and trades) is done and any significant progress towards finding the solution at center is still missing. Hearing Stevens say that the team was "too young" this past season also makes people look a little sideways at the four selections as well.

Yes, a chill pill is probably in order for many. At least until the pre season starts to see if Ainge has added a couple of experienced (and young) pieces to the rotation to go along with the best of these draft picks.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Damian Lillard ✔@Dame_Lillard
I like terry Rozier's game a lot.
6:19 AM - 27 Jun 2015
1,681 1,681 Retweets 2,124 2,124 favorites
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Part of the spazz-out is because Danny was once again insinuating fireworks, aka, moving up in the draft.

Danny didn't take a "we'll see" approach, and didn't go out of his way to suggest that this was a deep draft with talent available outside the top 10.

I think Danny also revealed his lack of confidence in our current roster, and that's rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

Rather than ride the momentum of our playoff run and competitive games against the East Champs Cleveland, and say that he was excited about his young players getting better, Danny seemed to go out of his way to downplay our playoff run. The same one he never saw coming.

Danny's draft desperation, and dangling every player on the roster, while downplaying the ability of his roster, was pretty much destined to provoke a fan backlash when Danny was unable to move up.

Just like Wyc promising fireworks the summer before, which left fans disappointed and not believing in the team all year.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Clyde,

I don't believe we can look at each player's individual college career and make even wide guesses as to what he might offer the Celtics in the long run.  It's not all about his skills or shortcomings.  It's more a matter of how he can contribute to the system Brad puts in place.  We're not even sure what that system will be, much less able to conjecture about each player's potential impact in that system.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Rambone,

Wyc and Danny cannot be faulted for issuing statements that might have proven misleading.  The fault lies with a system that forces executives to respond ad nauseum to media pressure for quotes.

Whenever a player gets injured, fans feel they have the right to be given Mayo Clinic reports on every aspect of the player's situation.  Bull crap!  The only questions the media wants to ask executives are ones for which an honest answer will help opponents.  Bull crap!

Wyc and Danny aren't the ones who decided that an "open media season" mentality would expand the non-basketball ways in which the NBA could entertain the public and bring in more money.  And they're not public relations experts.  Their jobs are to run the team and win championships.  Seldom do they unilaterally volunteer statements mainly for the purpose of titillating the public.

I realize many, many fans derive great enjoyment from handicapping everything from drafts to championship seedings and MVP voting.  And more power to them.  But, in order to do that handicapping, they rely on information produced by the same information machine that pressures executives into issuing statements that only make their jobs tougher.  It can't work both ways.  If one wants to use that information, it's only fair to lay off the guys who are victims of the system that produces the information.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down