cowens/oldschool
wide clyde
dbrown4
kdp59
Matty
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would we be better served skipping f/a? Empty Would we be better served skipping f/a?

Post by Matty Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:09 pm

As I understand it, we have a lot of cap room only if we renounce the rights to bass & company and even then for only 1 max deal and then a mid level sized pocketful of cap space change left. And that would also mean the loss of our 12 and 7 million dollar trade exceptions.

Might we be better served repeating what we did last summer and working deals in the role of facilitator for other teams and picking up another hand full of assests.?

Doing so with a view to adding a few contracts that would be set to expire next season could give us another year to develop the younglings, and allow us to go after several max or near max players next summmer.

In addition we might be able to flip some of the numerous seconds we have into future firsts and perhaps the possibility of getting the rights to swap picks with another team on future firsts as well as obtain a few more down the road..

I dunno... I sort of see how it could work out better for us than wasting tge trade exceptions and grabbing a f/a or two which will only help us mode really improve next season..

Any thoughts?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Would we be better served skipping f/a? Empty Re: Would we be better served skipping f/a?

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 am

yes, IF we can trade for another big man.

Cousins?......check.

Smart to Philly for Noel is what I suggested earlier. With our glut of guards (8 now on roster) we need to move or cut a couple anyway.

giving up Smart is not my first choice as I love his hard nosed play. But I would do it to get a YOUNG big like Noel. Noel also has local connections I believe.

so yeah, I can see no Free agent signings IF Ainge can get a deal done
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Would we be better served skipping f/a? Empty Re: Would we be better served skipping f/a?

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:50 am

The facts are, given all the assets Ainge has, he has to do something. The first quarter or some will say the first half was the draft and he fanned there. Either he couldn't get a deal he liked or he didn't like what he saw to move up for.

What remains is either free agency, trade or combo. Matty, what you point out with our 8 guards, somebody's going somewhere and it ain't to Boston.

It's also been pointed out here numerous times, Trading is Danny's forte.

I've always pointed out that Celtic players are never the superstars. Management looks for above average players at a reasonable price. Better known in the financial markets as a value play. Northwest quadrant. Now, the Russells and the Birds evolved into superstars, but they were never deemed or packaged as superstars or probably ever thought of as such.

Matty, I also think you are like the rest of us building up to draft day that we are now once bitten at this point where we were hoping for a big move up the board that never happened. I'm guessing FA starts today and you've expressed a bit of caution. I'm with you. Now we are looking for the KG/RA type deal! But something will happen for sure!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 am

I am not sure that free agency is going to solve the problem we have at the center position, but I would not abandon the idea of free agency yet either.   Trading may be the better way, but by the end of the summer I certainly hope that we have a young, talented center type guy to go along with Zeller and not have to see the same type of Sullinger, Olynyk and Bass rotation to fill in behind Zeller.

50 wins next season demands a better overall performance (numbers of rebounds if not rim protection and rebounds, and more consistency) at the center position before we worry about finding more guards and small forwards.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 am

we woulda been better served NOT making the playoffs!!!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:we woulda been better served NOT making the playoffs!!!!!!

blah, blah, blah.

And just imagine how much different life would be if the South had won the Civil War...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 am

I heard the cap is going up $40 million. That's a Lotta jack.

The draft, free agency and trades are all in play. I am pretty certain that DA will sign Center. It may not be an Elite level 5 but it will still be an improvement at that position.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:we woulda been better served NOT making the playoffs!!!!!!

blah, blah, blah.

And just imagine how much different life would be if the South had won the Civil War...

or if we had the still growing Gobert, who is gonna keep on expanding his game, but because other teams passed on him your okay with Danny being a bonehead too....blah, blah, blah.

and if we had him, we'd have the best young defense in the league, on our way to multiple title berths in a weak Eastern Conference in a few years.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:37 am

bobheckler wrote:

blah, blah, blah.

For one, I would be living in a foreign country!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 am

Making the playoffs did not help however..hold your head high..The Celtics didn't tank.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 am

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

blah, blah, blah.

For one, I would be living in a foreign country!!

Ha
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 am

bob

This is not HINDSIGHT!!

I said we weren't ready for the playoffs.

I said we are gonna get swept, whats the point? we were obviously NOT ready!!

I said its gonna be a pathetic process to watch everyone/media come up with all the scenarios of trying to trade up to land a potential impact draft pick.

BUTT no I'm all wrong....when your ready your ready, we were not ready and we would have possibly had Justin Winslow or Miles Turner to add to RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey, now that would have been a GREAT draft.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 am

dbrown4 wrote:

Matty, I also think you are like the rest of us building up to draft day that we are now once bitten at this point where we were hoping for a big move up the board that never happened.

I'm guessing FA starts today and you've expressed a bit of caution.  I'm with you.  Now we are looking for the KG/RA type deal!  But something will happen for sure!

db

I actually would have been very happy to have traded right out of the draft as well. If a deal that only cost us picks would have allowed us to pick up one of the hopefully franchise players wasn't available then I was all for getting out.

I'm just not interested in deals that will minimally improve us.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

bobheckler wrote:

blah, blah, blah.

Bbq would be the national pasttime...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:18 am

Matty wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:

Matty, I also think you are like the rest of us building up to draft day that we are now once bitten at this point where we were hoping for a big move up the board that never happened.

I'm guessing FA starts today and you've expressed a bit of caution.  I'm with you.  Now we are looking for the KG/RA type deal!  But something will happen for sure!

db

I  actually would have been very happy to have traded right out of the draft as well.  If a deal that only cost us picks  would have allowed us to pick up one of the hopefully franchise players wasn't available then I was all for getting out.

I'm just not interested in deals that will minimally improve us.

we might have found a few diamonds in the rough this draft, would have preferred my scenario, but like what I'm reading and seeing on video of our picks, the big question, will it translate over to the next level? will Ainge be able to further get a bigman?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:07 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob

This is not HINDSIGHT!!

I said we weren't ready for the playoffs.

I said we are gonna get swept, whats the point? we were obviously NOT ready!!

I said its gonna be a pathetic process to watch everyone/media come up with all the scenarios of trying to trade up to land a potential impact draft pick.

BUTT no I'm all wrong....when your ready your ready, we were not ready and we would have possibly had Justin Winslow or Miles Turner to add to RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey, now that would have been a GREAT draft.

cow,

It isn't about hindsight or foresight.  It isn't about whether you called it or not (ok, maybe that matters to you).  It isn't about whether we were ready or not.  It's about what's done is done.  It's about reality vs life in an alternate universe.  We did make the playoffs, we are where we are and the fact that you were right does not change what needs to be done now one single bit.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:56 pm

bob so why even bother to plan on anything? the course of action that was taken was alot more WRONG than right IMHO. Right now the Lakers could be significantly more rebuilt and reloaded than us, that wasn't the case a year or 2 ago.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Bob,

Nothing like nice fresh material to keep the forum from becoming boring.  Nice fresh repetitive material.

Wonder if Perk might be available from the Cavs.  You may not have heard, but he's still the answer to all the Celtics' needs.  Can even fill in at SG on occasion.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Matty,

I usually prefer the trade route over free agency.  But I feel that what the Celtics have to offer in trade (whether players or picks) is not of the caliber to beat out other teams in a trade for a really good center.  That's why, in this instance, I believe their chances at a defensive study who will be more than a place-holder are better in free agency.  Robin Lopez or Koufos would do.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:41 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob so why even bother to plan on anything? the course of action that was taken was alot more WRONG than right IMHO. Right now the Lakers could be significantly more rebuilt and reloaded than us, that wasn't the case a year or 2 ago.

cow,

Are you saying the Lakers tanked?  That Kobe faked his season ending injury?  That Randle faked his season ending injury?  Sure they had an awful year but it wasn't planned. I'm sure TJ could speak at length about why the Lakers had such a bad season and it wasn't because of lack of effort by the players or Byron Scott or some plan by Buss or Kupchak.

Any player that played to lose to get a better lottery pick, I would have off my team in a New York second.  That is even more true of a coach.

When I see Sam Hinkie's approach actually produce results I'll consider it (it'll have to be on an empty stomach.  Deliberately losing makes me want to throw up).  So far it's all "on paper".  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 pm

wel Perkins can probably be signed for a the vet minimum now

if you want him that is.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

It was an inside, tongue-in-cheek joke with BobH, kdp.  No designs in Perk in this corner.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Funny sideline concerning Robin Lopez.  It seems he's been romantically linked with Chloe Kardashian, but he claims it's news to him and he's been having a lot of fun describing himself as part of a power couple who's available for photos, interviews, and a try at the Hollywood way of life.

Another Kardashian-Celtics connection?  Wasn't Kris Humphries the previous one?  Red would have been thrilled?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm

sam wrote:Funny sideline concerning Robin Lopez.  It seems he's been romantically linked with Chloe Kardashian, but he claims it's news to him and he's been having a lot of fun describing himself as part of a power couple who's available for photos, interviews, and a try at the Hollywood way of life.

Another Kardashian-Celtics connection?  Wasn't Kris Humphries the previous one?  Red would have been thrilled?

Sam

sam,

Lopez is a character. He has that, now famous, feud going on with the league's mascots (Lucky, not being a clown in a halloween costume but an athlete who actually looks like a leprechaun) might get a pass. He had a bit of a rep while at Stanford too (Stanford is in Palo Alto, 3 towns south of where I live. About 10 miles). He'll be a fun locker room guy. Very competitive though. I'd be QUITE happy if Danny can snare him. He is, for lack of a better description, a poor-man's Noah. Noah, as you know, was 2014 DPOY. So, from a defensive perspective, being an anything Noah isn't too shabby.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:37 pm

Bob,

Now I want Lopez more than ever.  I'd be willing to open a comedy club for his participation during those off-nights in the winter when no other free agents would want to be in Boston.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next