Dragic now a Celtic!

+2
NYCelt
kdp59
6 posters

Go down

Dragic now a Celtic! Empty Dragic now a Celtic!

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 am

Zoran that is.....sorry.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/27/heat-trade-zoran-dragic-second-rounder-to-celtics/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Ira Winderman ‎@IraHeatBeat

The Heat pick going to Boston is a 2020 second-round pick, a legitimate one, not the protected, vanishing type Heat have received.
11:33 AM - 27 Jul 2015

The Heat are trying to trim their roster and luxury-tax bill – already trading Shabazz Napier and trying to dump Mario Chalmers and Chris Andersen.

But I thought Zoran was relatively safe. The Heat acquired him with Goran in the trade with the Suns, making the brothers seem like a package deal. Plus, Goran did the Heat a solid by agreeing to less than a max salary this summer. After giving up two first-round picks for him, I can’t imagine Miami would have let him leave in free agency just months later – even if it meant paying a max deal.

Alas, Zoran is out, making it easier for the Heat to keep their second-round pick, Josh Richardson. The shooting guard out of Tennessee is a solid defender, good athlete, improved shooter and decent playmaker. He must round into form, but there are a lot of skills to like.

The Celtics might not even keep Zoran. Boston now has 17 players with guaranteed contracts, and Zoran ranks pretty low on the value list. But eating his $1,706,250 salary is no big deal for the Celtics. Unlike Miami, they don’t have to pay a luxury tax on that money. Most importantly to them, they get a draft pick for their troubles.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Dragic now a Celtic! Empty Re: Dragic now a Celtic!

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:19 pm

kdp,

You are SUCH a tease!

Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat
The Heat pick going to Boston is a 2020 second-round pick, a legitimate one, not the protected, vanishing type Heat have received.
8:33 AM - 27 Jul 2015
  53 53 Retweets  32 32 favorites

6'5", 200#, SG.  Lefty.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dragizo01.html

His outside shooting is not good. Neither is his 2pt shooting nor his free throw shooting. In other words, my money would be on the proverbial snowflake in Hell over Dragic making the roster. We now have 17 guaranteed contracts, and roster spots are filling up fast around the league so the opportunities for Danny to do a many-for-one deal is small. Dragic will be bought out. I don't see how he could get traded to someone else for a better deal than a Miami Heat 2nd rounder, so this is the end of the line for him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Yeah.  I think Zoran D and Perry Jones probably go to the "to be waived/bought out" bin.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:41 pm

NYCelt wrote:Yeah.  I think Zoran D and Perry Jones probably go to the "to be waived/bought out" bin.

NYCelt,

Dragic? Yes. PJ3? I think it will come down to training camp/preseason vs James Young.

If PJ3 was going to be waived, why hasn't he been waived yet?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Included in the deal is cash from Miami to Boston, so we can waive Dragic without financial penalty.  So, it's the cash to cut the guy plus a 2nd rounder for Danny's troubles.  Same thing that OKC did with PJ3.

I think this kind of deal is going to be called "a Danny".  We already know that when he skins someone it's called "getting Ainge-ed".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Yeah.  I think Zoran D and Perry Jones probably go to the "to be waived/bought out" bin.

NYCelt,

Dragic?  Yes.  PJ3?  I think it will come down to training camp/preseason vs James Young.

bob

Actually can't see Young or Jones sticking around.

Young was the classic case of being taken too soon; he wasn't ripe yet. He should have developed at Kentucky longer, although probably never would have stayed eligible. Jones just doesn't have an NBA game that's at any better of a skill level than, and probably a notch below, the other 152 forwards we have. Maybe they'll trade him to the Pacers for Rakeem Christmas and a bag of Dunkin Donuts. Boston Cream, of course. Or maybe the glazed ones with sprinkles.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Bottom line: DA got an unprotected 2010 2nd rounder for nothing. Another tradable asset for this rebuild or for rebuild number three.

No one can accuse DA of being short-sighted.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Twisted Evil

well Bob at least I got someone on that headline!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:

NYCelt,

Dragic?  Yes.  PJ3?  I think it will come down to training camp/preseason vs James Young.

bob

Bob,

There's no need to waive a player now with a guaranteed contract.
If a player gets hurt over the next few months, maybe PJ3 will make the open night roster.
Teams can have up to 20 players on their roster through the end of the pre-season.
I agree about the PJ3/Young battle for the last roster spot.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:01 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

NYCelt,

bob

Bob,

If a player gets hurt over the next few months, maybe PJ3 will make the open night roster.
Teams can have up to 20 players on their roster through the end of the pre-season.

TJ,

I believe that, if a player has a guaranteed contract, injured or not, he still takes up a roster slot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Sean Penney @spenney83
Can imagine Danny Ainge screaming at Pat Riley into the phone "I said Goran, not Zoran!" #Celtics #Heat
8:14 AM - 27 Jul 2015
  6 6 Retweets  4 4 favorites

Adam Himmelsbach
‏@AdamHimmelsbach
In the future, the 2nd round of the NBA draft will just be called "Celtics Hour."
RETWEETS
FAVORITES

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

NYCelt,

bob

Bob,

TJ,

I believe that, if a player has a guaranteed contract, injured or not, he still takes up a roster slot.

bob

Bob,

Yes they do, but if Young or Turner had a season ending injury, Boston could waive them and keep PJ3.
Really, just no reason to waive him now.
If PJ3 has a sensational camp or pre-season, he is now an asset to Boston.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:03 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/27/report-heat-will-pay-zoran-dragics-full-salary-celtics-will-waive-him/

Report: Heat will pay Zoran Dragic’s full salary, Celtics will waive him
Dan Feldman Jul 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT

The Celtics were at the right place at the right time, getting the Heat’s 2020 second-round pick in exchange for taking Zoran Dragic and his $1,706,250 salary.

Turns out, the trade was even better for Boston than it appeared.

Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe:

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
A league source says the Heat agreed to pay Zoran Dragic's salary next season and that the Celtics intend to waive him.
8:53 AM - 27 Jul 2015
  133 133 Retweets  69 69 favorites

Essentially, the Celtics got a 2020 second-rounder for nothing. They don’t even have to pay Dragic.

There’s even a very slight chance a team claims Dragic on waivers, and Boston could use its cash from Miami as pure profit.

Dragic would have cost the Heat more than his full salary in luxury-tax payments. So, it’s worth it for them to pay a team – in money and a draft pick – to take Dragic offer their hands.

Why did the Celtics still have that cap space?

They hadn’t yet officially completed the David Lee–Gerald Wallace trade. Order of transactions matters. If they had made the Golden State trade already, the Celtics wouldn’t have had space for Dragic. The Warriors, who stand to save a lot of money, didn’t mind waiting.

But with Boston’s cap space used, that trade is now official.

Celtics release:

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired forward/center David Lee from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for forward Gerald Wallace and guard/forward Chris Babb.

Babb’s contract is unguaranteed. I expect the Warriors to release him, though the Celtics could have just done that themselves. Maybe Golden State will bring him to training camp.

bob
MY NOTE:  Always thinking and scheming, our Danny is...Isn't it amazing that, while there are other teams who are under the salary cap (e.g. Portland, Utah, Indiana, Denver, Dallas, Orlando) haven't been doing this?  Orlando did it with Miami and Shabazz Napier, but I think that's it.  Danny has done it twice, and that's just this off-season.  Just like with the Gary Payton trade (he traded Payton to Atlanta, who waived him, and then Payton re-signed with the Celtics once he cleared waivers), Danny is coming up with new ways to job the system, looking for and finding new loopholes.  In the case of the Payton Gambit, the league closed that loophole in the next iteration of the CBA.  They're in a constant state of playing "catch-up" if they're trying to stop Danny.  Nobody works the angles like Trader Danny.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:30 am

You got me too, kdp. Funny how quickly I forgot about my enthusiasm for Rozier when the name Dragic appeared in your post. I'll be surprised if Dragic isn't waived by the Celtics, which will basically mean Danny has traded away a heavily protected second rounder for an unprotected second rounder.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down