Go down

Walker A Missed opportunity Empty Walker A Missed opportunity

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:09 am

Against Cleveland

21 points 9-14 FG, 1-2 3PT, 5 RB

Back to top Go down

Walker A Missed opportunity Empty Re: Walker A Missed opportunity

Post by gyso Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 am

Extended garbage time. One game. Before coming to a proper conclusion, lets see how it goes over a couple of weeks, maybe even the rest of the season.

A classic case of faulty sampling if I ever saw one.

Eddie House went for 24 points in his first Knicks game, what has he done since?
4/16 (10 pts), 2/7 (4 pts), 2/10 (4 pts), 3/7 (15 pts), 1/8 (2 pts)

One good game in the bunch for Eddie, but everyone remembers the 24 points.

Lets remember that when Walker did get into a game with the Celtics, he looked lost. He didn't take the open shot and often times moved from the open shot to a less open look. Very tentative.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticFan Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 am

Gyso: He looked tentative because of the looming presence of the Big Three. In New York, he doesn't have that. He's free to display his talents without regard to deferring to superstars. This just shows how dumb and antiquated Doc's methodology is, and Danny's personnel decision-making flaws. Walker could have been starting for Pierce in a year or two. However he was stiffled by the current system!-MD.

MDCelticFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 am

How many guys who were the 47th pick in the NBA draft are NBA starters?

Very Few.

Walker may become a great player...I tend to doubt he will ever be more than an injury plagued 8th or 9th man.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am

The Knicks announcers love this kid,John Andraise who knows the game inside and out calls him a diamond in the rough,marvels at his athleticism,that the Knicks got lucky.I think this kid is gonna be a player,already not too many players can finish like him.....watch hes gonna develop now and we still have no long term replacement for Pierce.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 pm

well, he may work out for the knicks - too soon to tell - we've all seen his ups and downs, but with us he was mostly just lost out there. that's what we were gettin and that's what we were gonna keep gettin ... better for everyone that he take his skills set someplace else. and good luck to him. maybe he just wasn't made to wear green. but i'm with MrKleen, i don't see him developing any all-NBA game (as a PP replacement), or even as a reliable starter in the league.
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:16 am

.....different offenses,they actually let him back cut without the ball and pass to him underneath to finish,when did the C's ever run a play to his strengths?I still think this kid has attributes to develop a post game,with his leaping ability,if he can stay healthy and develop further-watch out.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 am

You have to give a little to get a little...sorry, but right now - Nate is a much better fit with the Celtics than Bill Walker.

Would be lousy if he left and became a star....but you cant throw together deals with nothing but scrubs if you want to get quality in return.

I will take Robinson over Walker anyday.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:30 am

Maybe if we are lucky part of the deal with Walker was to get him back when his contract expires..

probably not but one could hope, NYK - Celtics D-League team Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:52 am

imagine if we got a motivated Big Al back?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 am

mrkleen09 wrote:You have to give a little to get a little...sorry, but right now - Nate is a much better fit with the Celtics than Bill Walker.

Would be lousy if he left and became a star....but you cant throw together deals with nothing but scrubs if you want to get quality in return.

I agree with you,I love Nate and hes finding his groove,just wish we could have gave up Scal intead of Walker,in a few years Walker at least has potential to be a player/star.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:You have to give a little to get a little...sorry, but right now - Nate is a much better fit with the Celtics than Bill Walker.

I agree with you,I love Nate and hes finding his groove,just wish we could have gave up Scal intead of Walker,in a few years Walker at least has potential to be a player/star.

cowens,

I do agree that Walker has potential, but Scal's salary was too much to make the numbers work. Nate was BYC, so the trade was especially hard to make the salaries match.

Potential good side to the trade: I don't believe the Celtics picked up the options on either Walker or JR this fall. That means they both will be unrestricted free agents next year. I have only my memory for backup here, so I may be missing something, but that's how I remember that going down either in the preseason or by some early season deadline.

I remember looking at the salary structure of the Knicks after the trade and it does indicate that their contracts go out past this season. I think that is a mistake.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:10 am

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

cowens,

I do agree that Walker has potential, but Scal's salary was too much to make the numbers work. Nate was BYC, so the trade was especially hard to make the salaries match.

Potential good side to the trade: I don't believe the Celtics picked up the options on either Walker or JR this fall. That means they both will be unrestricted free agents next year. I have only my memory for backup here, so I may be missing something, but that's how I remember that going down either in the preseason or by some early season deadline.

I remember looking at the salary structure of the Knicks after the trade and it does indicate that their contracts go out past this season. I think that is a mistake.

gyso

gyso,

Walker has two years left on his contract after this one, both team options.

JR has 3 years left on his contract after this one, first 2 team options, 3rd player option.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Nevertheless, if I was either one of those players and I was available as an unrestricted free agent after this season, why would I come back to the Celtics? I'm not getting playing time, I'm not satisfying the coaching staff that I can succeed in their system and/or I've got so many good players ahead of me that I'm never going to see much daylight. Either which way, it's not a clear upward career path for me.

If/when some players retire/leave, that might change the dynamics, but now? I think they'd be crazy to come back.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 pm

bob,

I still think that the Celtics did not pick up Walker's and JR's options back in October. I found mention of JR:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=4879929

It's a familiar story for J.R. Giddens, whom the Celtics tabbed with the 30th pick after winning the NBA title in 2008. He's appeared in just 27 games and also could be headed out of town after the season given that the Celtics declined to pick up his modest ($1.1 million) team option for 2010-11.

The Celtics also landed Bill Walker (second round, 47th overall via trade) and Semih Erden (second round, 60th overall) in that 2008 draft. Walker remains an end-of-the-bench presence unable to crack the rotation, while Erden plays professionally in Turkey, and it seems unlikely he'll play stateside.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/01/03/pierces_return_still_unclear/?page=2

The Celtics did not pick up the team option on Giddens’s rookie contract in October, which means he’ll be a free agent at the end of the year.

If hoopshype is wrong about JR, they may be wrong about Walker.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:49 pm

gyso wrote:bob,

I still think that the Celtics did not pick up Walker's and JR's options back in October. I found mention of JR:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=forsberg_chris&id=4879929

It's a familiar story for J.R. Giddens, whom the Celtics tabbed with the 30th pick after winning the NBA title in 2008. He's appeared in just 27 games and also could be headed out of town after the season given that the Celtics declined to pick up his modest ($1.1 million) team option for 2010-11.

The Celtics also landed Bill Walker (second round, 47th overall via trade) and Semih Erden (second round, 60th overall) in that 2008 draft. Walker remains an end-of-the-bench presence unable to crack the rotation, while Erden plays professionally in Turkey, and it seems unlikely he'll play stateside.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/01/03/pierces_return_still_unclear/?page=2

The Celtics did not pick up the team option on Giddens’s rookie contract in October, which means he’ll be a free agent at the end of the year.

gyso

gyso,

Either way, I still stand by my position as far as what I would do if I was either one of them. I never got playing time here. Unless something changes in our roster or coaching staff, or I have zero other offers, why would I come back here?

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:bob,

gyso

gyso,

Either way, I still stand by my position as far as what I would do if I was either one of them. I never got playing time here. Unless something changes in our roster or coaching staff, or I have zero other offers, why would I come back here?

bob

bob,

In light of JR's tweet, there may be some resentment of the Celtics. A lack of opportunities, so yes, why would either of them come back? I agree with you there.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:28 pm

right. IF walker is a real pearl in the rough, a potential starter and even potential star, as cowens has suggested, we certainly didn't see it here, and he'd just be buried down the bench again. come back to that ? - why ?
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down